RNC speakers announced 8/14 UPDATE: Christie to keynote; Rubio to introduce Mitt (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 05:09:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  RNC speakers announced 8/14 UPDATE: Christie to keynote; Rubio to introduce Mitt (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: RNC speakers announced 8/14 UPDATE: Christie to keynote; Rubio to introduce Mitt  (Read 5564 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« on: August 05, 2012, 11:29:17 PM »

Great list. But why Scott and Kasich? It just doesn't seem very... practical. They are both pretty unpopular in their home states.

Scott is kind of a formality.  They kind of have to give him a speaking slot, as he's the governor of the state the convention is being held in.  If they didn't, it would be insulting.  But there's no indication of when his speaking time would be, or how long it would be.  It might just be 10 min. at the beginning, in which he gives a generic "welcome to Florida".

True...Adlai's speech was so good that it got him the nomination, so hopefully Scott will suck Wink.

Any word on the keynote?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 11:33:10 PM »

Well, at least one Paul is speaking...
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 11:36:41 PM »

He has his ups and downs. Ron is great in a rally type speech, but does poorly in debates. Ron would be better for this occasion. Rand is...meh...
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 07:05:44 PM »

I saw a CNN ticker that clearly said Ron Paul will get a slot.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 07:27:34 PM »

I sure hope Ron Paul doesn't speak.  IMO, that would splinter the base and basically hand Obama the election on August 30.
Why? It would pacify the Paulites and UNITE the party...the base theory is total bullsh**t, unless Palin got in as an independent. Who are most non Paulite Conservatives going to vote for? Gary Johnson? Of course not! They are all going to hold their nose and vote for Romney, just like they did McCain.

Oh Good Lord, please no!
Why? We have much more of an impact on the party then Newt Gingrich and Santorum have had. For God’s sake, we took over all the early caucus states party committees, and the ground game is there for Rand to come in on his shiny white gold horse and save this ridiculous party.

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 08:16:11 PM »

Oh Good Lord, please no!
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Santorum, at least, reaches a constituency which Mitt dearly needs, socially conservative blue collar workers. Gingrich, is, well, yes, I grant you that, Gingrich is a joke. Anyhow, I find it a bit ridiculous that Ron Paul would get a speaking slot and then refuse to endorse the nominee, not to mention his politics, especially his non-interventionist foreign policy, are completely nutty. Oh and his speeches consist of him ranting about 'bringing the troops home'.
Looks like I will being it doing block style here.....

Santorum, at least, reaches a constituency which Mitt dearly needs, socially conservative blue collar workers.
Again, Mitt has Santorum’s constituency locked up. They have no other option, and they have a militant hatred of Obama that will bring them out to the polls, despite hating Romney as well.
Gingrich, is, well, yes, I grant you that, Gingrich is a joke.
When it comes to internal Republican affairs, we agree on at least one thing Smiley
Anyhow, I find it a bit ridiculous that Ron Paul would get a speaking slot and then refuse to endorse the nominee, not to mention his politics, especially his non-interventionist foreign policy, are completely nutty.
I agree that Ron Paul should endorse Romney if he is given a speaking slot. I have a hunch that will come as part of the deal to give him a slot. His politics represent the party from a bygone era. Ron Paul is less of a Libertarian and more of a Robert Taft Republican. And if I recall correctly, the Republican Party  was a lot more conservative then compared to today. We all want a more conservative party right? Wink Please watch this video, and then tell me if his foreign policy is wrong or right. It seems to change a lot of minds.

Oh and his speeches consist of him ranting about 'bringing the troops home'.
Again, assuming you watched the above video, you should be saying “oh, Sanchez, you were so right and I was so wrong” etc, etc. Unfortunately, you are probably like me and hold strong convictions which only change over time, if they do change. But why do you oppose bringing the troops home? Because, right now, with the post Iraq and current Afghan occupations, we are just inviting another 9/11. History repeats itself.  
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 08:26:17 PM »

Ron Paul is one of the most intelligent and best speakers in the GOP. Very pleased that Romney is having him speak - hopefully he'll get a good spot.
Is he speaking? I just saw the CNN ticker Tongue But it clearly said Ron, not Rand...
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 02:40:06 PM »

I agree that Ron Paul should endorse Romney if he is given a speaking slot. I have a hunch that will come as part of the deal to give him a slot. His politics represent the party from a bygone era. Ron Paul is less of a Libertarian and more of a Robert Taft Republican. And if I recall correctly, the Republican Party  was a lot more conservative then compared to today. We all want a more conservative party right? Wink Please watch this video, and then tell me if his foreign policy is wrong or right. It seems to change a lot of minds.

Again, assuming you watched the above video, you should be saying “oh, Sanchez, you were so right and I was so wrong” etc, etc. Unfortunately, you are probably like me and hold strong convictions which only change over time, if they do change. But why do you oppose bringing the troops home? Because, right now, with the post Iraq and current Afghan occupations, we are just inviting another 9/11. History repeats itself. 

Ahaha. The amount of times I've been shown that video is unreal. Tongue

Unfortunately I won't be saying "oh, Sanchez, you were so right and I was so wrong". I'm too stridently neo-conservative, and yes, I know they have gone slightly out of fashion lately. Darn pesky paleo-conservatives.

Why do I oppose bringing the troops home? Because doing so would be a symbol of weakness in the face of terrorists whose only goal in life is the destruction of our way of life. Withdrawing from Afghanistan now and leaving a weak government in charge would be an invitation for the Taliban to claim victory over the west and galvanize their cause. Many would be enthused over the seen 'defeat' of the US and its allies and join terroristic organizations. Most probably, the Afghani government would collapse, essentially making the gains over the last decade for nought. We're too far invested now to leave, we've got to stick with it and finish the job. Regardless of how long that will take.   

Anyhow not wanting to change the topic too much, yes, if Ron Paul gave a good endorsement of Romney, then I suppose in the interests of fairness, he should get a small speaking slot. Though, I still doubt it will happen.
I suppose foreign policy debates belong somewhere else, so we will agree to disagree here Wink Don't worry, neoconservatism is not going out of style anytime soon...
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 12:15:19 AM »

Eh, I would prefer Rubio for the keynote.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 03:34:17 PM »

There is still a possibility of Barbara Bush, I hope. She would be perfect for introducing Ryan if she is up to it.

No.  She'd make Ryan look young and inexperienced, despite all the time he has spent in the House.  Ryan needs an eminence grise without so much grise to introduce him.
Paul Ryan has balls, but Babs Bush has bigger ones. She should get the keynote speech.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies