Where should the next NHL teams be? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 08:28:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Where should the next NHL teams be? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Where should the next NHL teams be?
Quebec City

Toronto (2nd team)

Hamilton

Montreal (2nd team)

Las Vegas

Seattle

Kansas City

Houston

Atlanta

Hartford

Saskatoon

Europe (in general)

Other (specify)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: Where should the next NHL teams be?  (Read 3964 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« on: May 07, 2014, 06:55:19 PM »

Since all the cool kids are doing it.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 07:13:55 PM »

Also, anyone who doesn't say Quebec City (or at least a Canadian city) should (figuratively) diaf.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 08:25:59 PM »

Also, anyone who doesn't say Quebec City (or at least a Canadian city) should (figuratively) diaf.

Where beyond Quebec? I don't like the idea of Toronto or Montreal having a second team (could either support it, especially Montreal?). The remaining choices are Hamilton, which is probably too small a metro area to support an NHL team, and Saskatoon which is definitely not viable.

Hamilton is about the size of Winnipeg, but is close enough to other mid-sized cities. One thing to remember is that this is Canada, and even a small market would make much more money than a large US sun belt market. (look at Winnipeg).

Plus, if NYC can have three teams, and LA of all places can have two teams, why shouldn't Toronto get a second team? The average Torontonian never gets to go to Leafs games, because they are always sold out. Mostly only the wealthy can manage to get tickets. (That's why so many Leafs fans make the trip to other cities to see the Leafs). There is a huge market for a second team in Toronto.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 07:12:16 AM »

Where beyond Quebec? I don't like the idea of Toronto or Montreal having a second team (could either support it, especially Montreal?). The remaining choices are Hamilton, which is probably too small a metro area to support an NHL team, and Saskatoon which is definitely not viable.

Hamilton is about the size of Winnipeg, but is close enough to other mid-sized cities. One thing to remember is that this is Canada, and even a small market would make much more money than a large US sun belt market. (look at Winnipeg).

Plus, if NYC can have three teams, and LA of all places can have two teams, why shouldn't Toronto get a second team? The average Torontonian never gets to go to Leafs games, because they are always sold out. Mostly only the wealthy can manage to get tickets. (That's why so many Leafs fans make the trip to other cities to see the Leafs). There is a huge market for a second team in Toronto.

Incisive and persuasive. I knew Hamilton had a number of mid-sized (by Canadian standards Tongue) cities nearby, but I didn't realize the city itself was about the size of Winnipeg.

My only quibble is LA =/= Anaheim. Wink

But wait a minute, I remember seeing the Marlies play at home against Lake Erie on TV some months ago, and noticed it was woefully unattended game. I realize it's only AHL and just one game I saw, but how's their attendence? That may be at least somewhat indicative of how a second NHL team would do, right?

Checked Wiki, and there seems to have historically been some issues with Marlies attendence, so...

Toronto is notorious for not supporting minor league or junior league anything (the OHL has attempted to put junior teams in the Greater Toronto Area, and all have either moved or are struggling). A new NHL team wouldn't be minor league. From Facebook data, we know that only around 50% of hockey fans in Toronto are Leafs fans. That means the other 50% are up for grabs.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 12:29:08 PM »

Incisive and persuasive. I knew Hamilton had a number of mid-sized (by Canadian standards Tongue) cities nearby, but I didn't realize the city itself was about the size of Winnipeg.

My only quibble is LA =/= Anaheim. Wink

But wait a minute, I remember seeing the Marlies play at home against Lake Erie on TV some months ago, and noticed it was woefully unattended game. I realize it's only AHL and just one game I saw, but how's their attendence? That may be at least somewhat indicative of how a second NHL team would do, right?

Checked Wiki, and there seems to have historically been some issues with Marlies attendence, so...

Toronto is notorious for not supporting minor league or junior league anything (the OHL has attempted to put junior teams in the Greater Toronto Area, and all have either moved or are struggling). A new NHL team wouldn't be minor league. From Facebook data, we know that only around 50% of hockey fans in Toronto are Leafs fans. That means the other 50% are up for grabs.

Interesting. I guess I can understand that dynamic. It's almost the reverse of Columbus-area football: People don't care that much for NFL football as they rabidly back the Bucks.

If the market is there as you say, what do you think the holdback to a second team has been?

The Toronto Maple Leafs. (organization that is, they don't want the competition).

Just remembering it is important hockey town.

"Town", not a city relative to other options. That's the key.

Actually, it's a "regional municipality".  Halifax might be able to support a team, but their arena only holds 10K. It certainly would do better than some of the sun belt teams.

I wish the NHL would've let Pittsburgh move to Hamilton 10 years ago Sad

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 01:10:06 PM »

Given that Pittsburgh is pretty much the single best city for hockey in America, basically along with Buffalo the only one whose proportionate level of fandom rivals Canadian cities... that would have been a horrible idea.  Yes, Hamilton probably ought to have a team.  It really really oughtn't be the Pens though.

Between the Lemieux are and the Crosby era, no one care about the Pens.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 10:51:43 PM »

I believe that a lot of the opposition to a Hamilton team has actually been from the Sabres, since they would draw on a lot of Niagara support that would no longer have to cross the border to go to games.

Apparently no one in the Niagara region actually supports the Sabres. At least according to Facebook data.

Given that Pittsburgh is pretty much the single best city for hockey in America, basically along with Buffalo the only one whose proportionate level of fandom rivals Canadian cities... that would have been a horrible idea.  Yes, Hamilton probably ought to have a team.  It really really oughtn't be the Pens though.

Between the Lemieux are and the Crosby era, no one care about the Pens.

By that standard every NHL team in the US (except maybe Buffalo) should just move to Canada, since they're all going to suffer in attendance and TV ratings if they suck.

Not a bad idea, really Wink
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 04:08:44 PM »

Gass, you're back in my good books for wanting to move Anaheim.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies