Rep. John Lewis "I do not consider the president-elect to be legitimate" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 11:01:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rep. John Lewis "I do not consider the president-elect to be legitimate" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rep. John Lewis "I do not consider the president-elect to be legitimate"  (Read 3805 times)
hopper
United States

« on: January 14, 2017, 03:26:13 PM »

He is not legitimate in any way. He didn't win the popular vote, and he was only elected because the Russians and the FBI teamed up to deal a death-blow to Clinton, not to mention the fact that his election sent the KKK celebrating in the streets.
Isn't it Hillary's fault that she didn't campaign at all in Wisconsin and maybe made 2 campaign appearances in Michigan if at all in the "General Campaign Season"? 

As for "The Comey Letter" even filmmaker Michael Moore said that wasn't the only reason that Hillary lost.

As for the KKK celebrating in the streets Trump can't control that.

We have an electoral college its not like the Democrats didn't know that hours before the election took place.
hopper
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 12:37:36 AM »
« Edited: January 15, 2017, 12:50:11 AM by hopper »

Trump's victory honestly is - as horrible as it sounds to say this - is a glorious godsend to the Democrats. The timing, the man, and the coalition is great for the Democrats.

Here's how.

Trump is taking over at the peak of the economic cycle. That means with 5% unemployment, rising wage growth, and no economic recession since 2009, what's that mean? It means that there is no crisis to manipulate, no economic "come back" story to stage for the GOP. And it also means there will be a recession at some point during Trump/Pence's term.

So, the GOP gets saddled with the economy at the very moment it's at the climax. It means it's downhill from now. Remember, the last successful GOP presidency took power at the moment the economy was in the doldrums (Morning in America)?  In 1992, Clinton took power JUST as the economy was taking off but unemployment was still at 7.2% when Bush Senior left office. Clinton's timing was amazing as the 1989-1990 recession was right before he took power. W took office again with very low unemployment and we all know how that turned out.  

Second, Trump himself is working with a very limited older white working class coalition. He lost minorities by huge margins and given his promises to his base, will be unable to bring Latinos to the 40s, and raise his AA appeal significantly. Of course, he could still, but given the intensity and the polarization of the GOP base and the country, it's very unlikely. And of course, he lost large swaths of younger white voters.

There are a number of economic and budget crises facing the GOP now (not least unwinding ObamaCare) that the GOP must slog through and lose serious political capital on.

Imagine if Hillary had won. She would be facing a GOP House, an economic recession between now and 2020, and historically low approval ratings. Instead, that's all now on Trump.

So, why demonize Trump? It's much smarter to construct an alternative to the Trump GOP and win for good the loyalty of a swath of voters who can put you in power and allow you to enact your agenda.
Yeah but some of those whites did vote at least once for Obama though(mostly in the Upper Midwest) so its not like  they were "Solid GOP Voters" to begin with.

I think Big Mistake with his comments about Mexicans. I mean 2/3rd of Latino's identify as Mexican as their sub-ethnicity. I mean really you are gonna alienate the fastest growing sub-ethnic group in America for the past 30 years up until a few years ago? That was just stupid.

As far as ObamaCare it was a disaster to start which only Republicans can mess it up is by making it worse which could happen.

What rising wage growth? I personally haven't seen it myself.
hopper
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 10:01:37 PM »

Gotta say I don't agree with Trump when he said John Lewis should go back to his district because his district is poor and needs rebuilding or something to that effect. That was just a snide remark by Trump.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies