SA/A/D/SD
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 09:39:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  SA/A/D/SD
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: SA/A/D/SD  (Read 28848 times)
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: August 09, 2005, 01:10:01 PM »

As for "the right to bear arms" that is not a fundemental right, it's just something Libertarians create as an excuse to keep guns to make up for their small penises Cheesy
It's not made up by modern Libertarians; it's been accepted for over three centuries. The English Bill of Rights also declares that there is a right to bear arms.

In the words of the famous jurist Sir William Blackstone:

"In vain would these rights be declared, ascertained, and protected by the dead letter of the laws, if the constitution had provided no other method to secure their actual enjoyment. It has therefore established certain other auxiliary subordinate rights of the subject, which serve principally as barriers to protect and maintain inviolate the three great and primary rights, of personal security, personal liberty, and private property...

The fifth and last auxiliary right of the subject, that I shall at present mention, is that of having arms for their defense [which] is indeed a public allowance, under due restrictions, of the natural right of resistance and self-preservation."
ragnar
grendel
Rookie

« Reply #101 on: August 09, 2005, 01:17:54 PM »

Strongly Agree
Agree
Disagree
Strongly Disagree

1.) Felons and those in jail should have the same voting rights as all other citizens.
Strongly Disagree

2.) Ex-felons should have the same voting rights as all other citizens.
agree

3.) In general, people are just too obsessed with sex.
agree

4.) We would all be a lot better off if people followed the Golden Rule.
Strongly agree

5.) The government's main responsibility should be to keep order.
Eeeeh yes (well dooh) Strongly agree

6.) Music and the arts are essential for a community to flourish and should be funded by the government.
Strongly agree

7.) The right to revolution in the New Hampshire state constitution is a good thing that all states should have.
agree

8.) Improvement of the human race through eugenics should be a goal of the government.
disagree

9.) A Department of Peace should be added to the presidential administration.
disagree

10.) The voting age should be lowered to 16.
agree

11.) Immigration is one of the worst problems the United States faces.
agree (My own land instead US of course) with some small disagreement

12.) The government should not have any business with people's library records, gun purchases, or credit card use.
disagree

13.) Restrictions on cellphone wiretapping should be loosened.
agree

14.) Criticism of religions such as Christianity and Islam are not protected by free speech.
Strongly disagree, as long as itīs not "hate speech"

15.) The drinking age should be lowered or abolished.
Donīt care
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #102 on: August 09, 2005, 01:25:56 PM »

1.) Felons and those in jail should have the same voting rights as all other citizens.
Strongly Agree

2.) Ex-felons should have the same voting rights as all other citizens.
Strongly Agree

3.) In general, people are just too obsessed with sex.
Strongly Disagree

4.) We would all be a lot better off if people followed the Golden Rule.
Agree

5.) The government's main responsibility should be to keep order.
Agree

6.) Music and the arts are essential for a community to flourish and should be funded by the government.
Strongly Disagree

7.) The right to revolution in the New Hampshire state constitution is a good thing that all states should have.
Agree

8.) Improvement of the human race through eugenics should be a goal of the government.
Disagree

9.) A Department of Peace should be added to the presidential administration.
Strongly Disagree- It's called the Secretary of State.

10.) The voting age should be lowered to 16.
Strongly Agree!

11.) Immigration is one of the worst problems the United States faces.
Strongly Disagree- The Immigration 'problem' is racists standing at the border trying to stop people from coming into our country. The country that has an immigration problem is the corrupt Mexican government. If you wanted to come here from Mexico legally, honestly, you'd have to bribe a lot of people.

12.) The government should not have any business with people's library records, gun purchases, or credit card use.
Library Records and credit card use- Strongly Agree. Gun Purchases- Stronly Disagree

13.) Restrictions on cellphone wiretapping should be loosened.
Disagree

14.) Criticism of religions such as Christianity and Islam are not protected by free speech.
Strongly Disagree.

15.) The drinking age should be lowered or abolished.
Strongly Agree.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #103 on: August 09, 2005, 01:47:10 PM »

As for "the right to bear arms" that is not a fundemental right, it's just something Libertarians create as an excuse to keep guns to make up for their small penises Cheesy
It's not made up by modern Libertarians; it's been accepted for over three centuries. The English Bill of Rights also declares that there is a right to bear arms.

In the words of the famous jurist Sir William Blackstone:

"In vain would these rights be declared, ascertained, and protected by the dead letter of the laws, if the constitution had provided no other method to secure their actual enjoyment. It has therefore established certain other auxiliary subordinate rights of the subject, which serve principally as barriers to protect and maintain inviolate the three great and primary rights, of personal security, personal liberty, and private property...

The fifth and last auxiliary right of the subject, that I shall at present mention, is that of having arms for their defense [which] is indeed a public allowance, under due restrictions, of the natural right of resistance and self-preservation."

The U.S. is one of the few countries where this is a right. I hardly call that fundemental.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #104 on: August 09, 2005, 01:48:25 PM »

The U.S. is one of the few countries where this is a right. I hardly call that fundemental.

If the U.S. was the only country that allowed free speech, would that make free speech not a fundamental right?
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #105 on: August 09, 2005, 01:49:01 PM »

1. Disagree
2. Agree
3. Disagree -After all, it's only natural.
4. Strongly Agree
5. Agree
6. Disagree
7. Undecided.  States is gonna love this.
8. Strongly disagree.  No race is better than any other.   Government-sponsored eugenics?  Hitler's Final Solution ring a bell?
9.  Strongly Disagree.  This is the job of the Departments of Defense and State
10. Strongly disagree
11. Strongly Agree only if it is ILLEGAL immigration, otherwise Disagree.
12. I can't see what they would want with this, unless for the gun purchase there is a background check on suspicious activities.  Otherwise, agree for the most part.
13. Agree, but it depends on who the user is and if they are a criminal/terrorist or not; if so, then disagree
14. Disagree -depends on what is said
15. Strongly disagree
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #106 on: August 09, 2005, 01:52:52 PM »

If the U.S. was the only country that allowed free speech, would that make free speech not a fundamental right?

That's not the case though! Why? because freedom of speech is a fundemental right.  Gun ownership is not a fundemental human right, I'm sorry.
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -3.15, S: -0.82

« Reply #107 on: August 09, 2005, 01:53:27 PM »

good point. one of the things I have to agree with you! besides the Waffle House hashbrowns
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #108 on: August 09, 2005, 01:54:23 PM »

That's not the case though! Why? because freedom of speech is a fundemental right.  Gun ownership is not a fundemental human right, I'm sorry.

No, that's not why, nor is it relevant. If everyone else on the planet is doing something wrong that does not make it right if you do it too.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #109 on: August 09, 2005, 01:59:25 PM »

No, that's not why, nor is it relevant. If everyone else on the planet is doing something wrong that does not make it right if you do it too.

I know it's not about the rest of the world. It's just evidence that the rest of the world doesnt think it is a fundemental right. The rest of the world is more likely than the U.S. to be correct on things, however.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #110 on: August 09, 2005, 02:01:40 PM »

I know it's not about the rest of the world. It's just evidence that the rest of the world doesnt think it is a fundemental right.

The rest of the world not thinking it's a fundamental right doesn't make it not a fundamental right. True or false: people have a fundamental right to defend themselves.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

My, we're not arrogant at all, are we? Just a brilliant argument you've brought to the table here.
ragnar
grendel
Rookie

« Reply #111 on: August 09, 2005, 02:11:24 PM »

My, we're not arrogant at all, are we? Just a brilliant argument you've brought to the table here.

Why is it arrogant to think its more likely that 6 billion people are right than 400 million.

But that doesnīt mean that itīs 6 billion who is right itīs just more likely.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #112 on: August 09, 2005, 02:16:52 PM »

Why is it arrogant to think its more likely that 6 billion people are right than 400 million.

But that doesnīt mean that itīs 6 billion who is right itīs just more likely.

Well, I think that the actual majority of the population lives in less educated countries for one thing. Europe, Australia, and others are educated as well, but you've also got countries like China and India that have tons of people who are mostly not really that educated.

You can't base the argument on numbers alone.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #113 on: August 09, 2005, 02:31:10 PM »
« Edited: August 09, 2005, 02:32:53 PM by Lunar »

How can someone be 'right' about something being a fundamental right or not?  I mean, unless two people agree to a pre-determined framework for determining what is and is not a 'fundamental right' (say, some offshoot of Kant's Catagorical Imperative or something), there is no way for one of them to be 'wrong' since the two people would be operating from different frameworks.

It's like arguing that "6 billion people agree with me that red is a better color than blue" or "Ricky Martin is a better singer than Cher."

John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #114 on: August 09, 2005, 02:35:23 PM »

How can someone be 'right' about something being a fundamental right or not?  I mean, unless two people agree to a pre-determined framework for determining what is and is not a 'fundamental right' (say, some offshoot of Kant's Catagorical Imperative or something), there is no way for one of them to be 'wrong' since the two people would be operating from different frameworks.

It's like arguing that "6 billion people agree with me that red is a better color than blue" or "Ricky Martin is a better singer than Cher."

It's just a philisophical argument. You try to convince someone else that your philosophy is better than theirs, so they move into the framework you think in if you succeed.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #115 on: August 09, 2005, 02:36:36 PM »

I will agree that the right to bear arms is not as significant as (for example) the right to life. However, it is a very important auxiliary right, which derives from the fundamental right of self-preservation. It is, in a sense, a corollary of the right to life, and is therefore fundamental.

I would have to agree. In this case, I think that a general framework of accepting the right to life and self-preservation would work.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #116 on: August 09, 2005, 03:24:36 PM »

You have the fundemental right to own a gun just as I have the fundemental right to own a computer they are both objects of possession. Ok, guns are used as self defence, but no other weapons seem to be fundemental rights? I dont have the fundemental right to own mace, or to own a bomb, or to own a knife. What makes firearms so special?
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #117 on: August 09, 2005, 03:27:47 PM »

You have the fundemental right to own a gun just as I have the fundemental right to own a computer they are both objects of possession. Ok, guns are used as self defence, but no other weapons seem to be fundemental rights? I dont have the fundemental right to own mace, or to own a bomb, or to own a knife. What makes firearms so special?
There's nothing special about guns. You have a fundamental right to own a knife, as well, or in fact anything else suitable for your personal defense. There is a "right to keep and bear arms," not a "right to keep and bear firearms."
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #118 on: August 09, 2005, 03:30:42 PM »

There's nothing special about guns. You have a fundamental right to own a knife, as well, or in fact anything else suitable for your personal defense. There is a "right to keep and bear arms," not a "right to keep and bear firearms."

So you have the right to own a nuclear bomb then? Very well. Just because the U.S. does it, doesn't make it right. No one should have the right to own anything highly dangerous, except the police and the army.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #119 on: August 09, 2005, 03:31:38 PM »
« Edited: August 09, 2005, 03:33:34 PM by Emsworth »

So you have the right to own a nuclear bomb then?
I said "suitable for your personal defense." A nuclear bomb does not qualify.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #120 on: August 09, 2005, 03:34:20 PM »

That does not exclude a nuclear bomb. I could "personally use" a nuclear bomb.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #121 on: August 09, 2005, 03:36:02 PM »

With all due respect, I did not say "suitable for your personal use." I said "suitable for your personal defense." A nuclear bomb is not suitable for your personal defense.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #122 on: August 09, 2005, 03:37:58 PM »

So you have the right to own a nuclear bomb then? Very well. Just because the U.S. does it, doesn't make it right. No one should have the right to own anything highly dangerous, except the police and the army.

Your argument now operates from the assumption that a 'fundamental right' cannot have arbitrary limitations.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #123 on: August 09, 2005, 04:19:23 PM »

With all due respect, I did not say "suitable for your personal use." I said "suitable for your personal defense." A nuclear bomb is not suitable for your personal defense.

It is if I am being attacked by various rogue states!
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #124 on: August 09, 2005, 04:24:35 PM »

This is great.  North Korea and Iran are going to attack Earl's house!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies