DC/DMV more similar to Atlanta or Metro New York?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 09:44:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  DC/DMV more similar to Atlanta or Metro New York?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: DMV is more similar to
Atlanta

NYC area

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: DC/DMV more similar to Atlanta or Metro New York?  (Read 1572 times)
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2021, 01:33:40 AM »

The "DMV" is very Black but in a distinctive way, where its Black community is unusually affluent and well-educated, tending to live in spacious suburban homes. There is exactly one other city that is similar in this respect: Atlanta.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2021, 01:58:50 AM »
« Edited: June 27, 2021, 02:02:07 AM by SevenEleven »

I voted NYC because of its sophisticated public transit system, tendency toward old growth architecture, central location for important national interests (finance and government) and overall cosmopolitanism.

But I can see the arguments for Atlanta, being less of an international hub and not as urban of a vibe as, say, Manhattan. Admittedly, I don't know too much about Atlanta as a city. I've never been.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2021, 09:57:53 AM »

When I left the DC area for good and moved back to Georgia in 2018, I had precisely the opposite experience. WMATA trains stopped running at midnight every night (including on weekends), which meant that any time I went anywhere I had to start looking at my watch at 11 PM and excuse myself early or else risk getting stranded. The chilling effect this had on social life was obvious. MARTA trains, by contrast, never stop running before 1 AM, and often I've been able to leave rather later than that and hop on a train. From the standpoint of public transportation alone, leaving the DC area was liberating.

True dat.

But that's because the DC metro system has been drastically cutting back their services because everyone uses Uber now.

My frame-of-reference, on the other hand, is the early 2010s, in which WMATA last trains on the weekends were 2:30/3:00am and were pretty packed even at those hours with the bridge-and-tunnel crowds.

And granted, I only spent a 3-day weekend in Georgia and this was a decade ago, but I'm also fairly certain it was 11pm "last call" for MARTA.  That 1am you are citing must have been a recent development.  
slothdem

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2021, 12:28:56 PM »

New York City is an "ethnic white" city that later took on a significant amount of black migration and hispanic and asian immigration and Atlant's largest population is ADOS with a large and affluent white population that is equal parts native to the area and transplants (mostly from the northeast) who moved for white collar jobs. It should be obvious which one of those is a better comparison to DC.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies