Gerrymandering Canada (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 05:19:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Gerrymandering Canada (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gerrymandering Canada  (Read 21152 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« on: July 21, 2011, 01:45:13 PM »

Drawing a single NDP riding in Saskatoon would hardly be gerrymandering...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 11:39:40 AM »

Or make the likes of Caernarfon Boroughs legal.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 05:40:49 PM »

Makes no sense to look at things in isolation. Liberal support has collapsed amongst pretty much all 'immigrant' communities over the past couple of elections, especially further out into the suburbs. Which is extremely significant as such communities have been one of their main electoral bulwarks since the 1950s and after Trudeau became their main source of strength. The process has been more extreme with Jewish voters though; of course the Tories have been wooing them in a serious way for longer than other minorities and, also, they're a more affluent group overall. Suspect that Israel is a factor for some (especially the more mainstream Orthodox) but generally issues like that are overrated.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 09:14:03 PM »

The Jewish vote change in recent years has been striking, a lot more than any other immigrant group.

Sure, the collapse in Liberal support amongst Jewish voters has been especially dramatic (don't think I denied that). I suspect that they will also find it harder to claw back; that is if they're ever in a position to even try. But it's very much part of a wider pattern rather than something unusual. My point, really, is that we're basically just looking for differences at the margins (why has group x swung harder than group y) rather than looking at something unique.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 09:59:12 PM »
« Edited: July 25, 2011, 10:04:32 PM by Sibboleth »

Well, they've already swung provincially as well... before any other group. Who would've expected Thornhill to go Tory in 2007? I mean, I suppose it is the only riding in the province that John Tory's religious schools issue would be a benefit, but still.

Well, to an extent you've actually answered your own question, haven't you? But there's also the issue that the Tories seem (at least from what I've read over the past near-decade; so I'll have likely missed important things that people actually in Canada will have noticed) to have (seriously) attempted to appeal to Jewish voters before other 'immigrant' minority groups, a process that includes carefully (or not so carefully in the case of the religious schools thing) developing specific policies aimed at boosting support and so on.

Of course just as interesting (at least to me) is the fact that the Liberals have let them do that; and then allowed them to do with with the other affluent 'immigrant' minorities as well. Complacency and inertia are tempting conclusions (especially as they double up as explanations for the slow-motion collapse of the federal Liberals generally), but I've no idea how true that actually is.

And, of course, the same sort of thing has happened with the rural minorities that also used to be a Liberal bedrock. Why so little resistance to Tory charms? I mean, the way that they've folded to the NDP in certain areas is less surprising (it isn't as though they've had much positive to offer to left wing and/or working class voters of late so once a certain point was reached the NDP were always pushing at an open door), but their apparent capitulation to the Tories amongst their old minority (urban/immigrant and rural/etc) fortresses is almost bizarre.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Was that as common in Toronto as Montreal?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 09:48:55 AM »

Of course the Jewish parts of Toronto and (I think to a lesser extent, but certainly Mount Royal fits) Montreal are amongst the most affluent - and in a comfortable suburban sense - parts of the city in question. So what if one or two of their grandparents voted Communist?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 11:14:15 AM »

Ah, now that is more 'American'.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies