Mideast Region Senator's Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:41:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Region Senator's Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Mideast Region Senator's Thread  (Read 2961 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2005, 07:18:39 AM »

I think everybody is jumping into this far too fast, and I'll raise exactly the same objections that I did at the Convention:

Any significant change of boundaries in the Midwest/Mideast/Northeast area (i.e. as proposed here) will be problematic from a legal standpoint - What happens to the Laws and Constitutions already passed by these Regions.

Either they will have their Constitution and Laws invalidated, thus destroying good work by quite a few people (I openly admit my own vested interest given my work in the Mideast), or Laws will be placed on large bodies of voters who never consented to them or had any part in agreeing to. Either way, a degree of sacrifice is necessary by whoever is involved in the changes for a plan that I am not convinced has any perceivable gains.

I'm not really sure why people want to change the Regions in this dramatic way: The Regions were never meant to have evenly distributed population, they are meant as a geographical area that holds its own body of Laws, something that may have to be reset in order for these changes to viably go through.

Then of course, this map will actually have the effect of throwing two Governors into one Region and leave one Region Governorless. The plan that has been laid down has singularly failed to address this very important issue - If you must present such a dramatic change, you must also present the plan for the transition with it, otherwise we'll be up the creek without a paddle if it goes into effect without proper consideration.

Presently the plan is ill-conceived simply because it doesn't have its details worked out. Anybody who votes for it in its present form would be reckless and irresponsible because really, you don't know what you would be voting for.

I added another part to the elections clause. And the regions get to vote on the constitution that they want.  You say they don't get to choose their laws but they do, the voting bodies go out and choose the constitution they want! And anyways this will have changes when it gets to the Senate floor anyway!
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2005, 07:30:58 AM »

There's no natural tendency in some Regions to particular laws because of the exact even split - Also, last count gave the Southeast 40 odd laws and the Mideast will be getting on for 20 by the time it comes around. Revoting on all this is a logistical nightmare and ultimately you can guarantee that people will just vote without reading the Laws they are passing - And that is a disaster. I remain convinced that automatic law inheritance is the best way to go, unfortunately if would force some people to accept Laws they would never have voted for.

Also, its not just a case of choosing the one Constitution that a particular Region wants - a good number of Constitutions need to be torn up and completely rewritten because they've amended into total incomprehensibility. You will essentially force the entire nation into constitutional convention at the Regional level because the reset button gets pressed, or you force 75+ pieces of legislation to revote. Either way, thats a lot of work for us to undergo after just finishing a complete reconsideration of the federal Constitution.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2005, 09:59:52 AM »

I like this one
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2005, 11:26:26 AM »

Look how long it has taken for New Mexico to go into the Pacific, albeit this wasn't helped by the old constitution.

Tell me about it... Roll Eyes
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2005, 02:07:47 PM »

I can always count on Peter to give a good argument, especially when its an argument I agree with.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2005, 05:06:23 PM »

There was a long debate at the Constitution Convention before I got there over this particular issue:  as to the states in which Regions and as to how many there were.

Ironically, most of the people opposed to the 5 Region system wanted to have more Senators, like 12 and either squeeze the Regions down to 4 or up to 6.

Logically, the most widely supported of the two was squeexing the Regions down to 4, iirc, but it didn't have much support then, so the 5 Region system held, quite strongly I might add.

There probably isn't momentum to change it, but I could be wrong in my estimation of that.

what about there being momentum to change at least the boundaries of the regions as Sen. Jedi here is proposing?  i sense there is support for changing it, but i do not know whether there is enough to overcome Sen. Colin's rigid insistence that Pennsylvania be in the Northeast region -and not in the Mid-Atlantic. 

Honestly, Frodo, I sense there is momentum for certain minor changes to the Regions, specifically switching New Mexico and Montana and probably adding Virginia to the Southeast.

Whether there is the momentum for this big change, I am not sure.  I am fairly confident this will recieve widespread support in the Southeast and Pacific.  However, there is quite a good chance this will be strongly opposed in Pennsylvania, in the Mideast in general and perhaps the Northeast and the Midwest, though I am not as sure of this, and it would be on these merits as to decide whether the proposal succeeds or fails.

VP Bell's points are very important also, and will not be forgotten in my vote on this legislation, for there is more to life than Southeastern aggrandizement.  Smiley
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2005, 01:06:37 PM »

I may as well state my views on this.  It would be a logistical nightmare, for all the reasons Peter has already said.  I won't even contemplate the thought of having to negotiate constitutional and various other tedious subjects with Cheesewhiz, and then run against him after it all.

Also, how come the Southeast gets to maintain its 'Dixie Union' status, whilst all the other states are interchangable between regions?  I mean, heaven forbid us damn Yankees should try and keep Virginia or Kentucky for ourselves. Roll Eyes  I'm getting a little sick of people trying to maintain the old Confederacy boundaries, leaving the rest of us to bend over backwards.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2005, 12:38:01 AM »

Bump. How will you justify voting to cut education and child care funding? Are you showing off your conservatism for the sake of it? Also it doesn't seem your reelection campaign aims to unite the voters of our district.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2005, 06:35:32 AM »

Bump. How will you justify voting to cut education and child care funding? Are you showing off your conservatism for the sake of it? Also it doesn't seem your reelection campaign aims to unite the voters of our district.

Wow Dean I take it to seem that you're a little bitter. Please correct me if I'm wrong though. I doubt Texasgurl could unite the voters more than myself, Kodratos and M&C.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies