How do White Evangelic Christian in Ultra-Democratic Precincts Vote ?(DC, Berkle,Oakland)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 01:53:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  How do White Evangelic Christian in Ultra-Democratic Precincts Vote ?(DC, Berkle,Oakland)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How do White Evangelic Christian in Ultra-Democratic Precincts Vote ?(DC, Berkle,Oakland)  (Read 1162 times)
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 31, 2021, 10:37:27 AM »

How would Evangelic Christian in these sort of places vote ? is their religion enough to get them to tick R or does the local culture pervade enough that a majority of them vote democrat
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 11:04:58 AM »

Evangelical churches in those areas tend to be religious left.  I would expect Dem-leaning, but still less than the Dem lean of the city overall (they aren't going to be fully on board with a D+30 district representative's approach to cultural issues even if they lean left otherwise).  Probably a lot of Bernie primary votes too. 
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 02:23:47 PM »

DC is going to be pretty different than the Bay Area because you have a semi-decent number of white evangelical transplants there working for conservative politicians or organizations.  Obviously, there are going to be conservative evangelical churches for that population.

As for how white evangelicals in San Francisco vote, I have no idea.  Evangelicals in SoCal, on the other hand, still seem to be staunchly conservative based on the anecdotal examples I've seen.  My church (which votes well to the right of white evangelicals as a whole) has gotten a decent influx of California transplants, and they don't seem to be any more liberal than the rest of the church.  Even our young adults ministry was easily >95% Trump, and the California transplants seem no different than anybody else.  Now, most of California is different than the most liberal parts of the Bay Area, and there's probably some degree of self-sorting in who lives there.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 02:49:38 PM »

DC is going to be pretty different than the Bay Area because you have a semi-decent number of white evangelical transplants there working for conservative politicians or organizations.  Obviously, there are going to be conservative evangelical churches for that population.

As for how white evangelicals in San Francisco vote, I have no idea.  Evangelicals in SoCal, on the other hand, still seem to be staunchly conservative based on the anecdotal examples I've seen.  My church (which votes well to the right of white evangelicals as a whole) has gotten a decent influx of California transplants, and they don't seem to be any more liberal than the rest of the church.  Even our young adults ministry was easily >95% Trump, and the California transplants seem no different than anybody else.  Now, most of California is different than the most liberal parts of the Bay Area, and there's probably some degree of self-sorting in who lives there.

What denomination is your church? But I agree that white evangelicals in most of Southern California are still heavily Republican given they tend to be older.

The only cities where I could see white Evangelicals being mostly Democratic are cities like San Francisco, Boston, and New York City along with perhaps Philadelphia, Chicago, and Seattle. White evangelicals there are probably heavily younger professionals with college if not graduate degrees (considering the white working class population in most of the cities I mentioned tend to be Catholic) and those actually living in urban centers probably are selected for those more accepting of cultural liberalism. Moreover, Evangelical congregations there often have large Asian-American (especially Korean and Chines)  presence even in non-ethnic churches meaning there's further leftward social pressures. Tim Keller's Redeemer Presbyterian Church in Manhattan is a good example and its hard for me to see most of the congregants there show any enthusiasm for Trump. I could even see Keller himself vote for Biden, something I can't say for most white Evangelical pastors.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 03:06:03 PM »

DC is going to be pretty different than the Bay Area because you have a semi-decent number of white evangelical transplants there working for conservative politicians or organizations.  Obviously, there are going to be conservative evangelical churches for that population.

As for how white evangelicals in San Francisco vote, I have no idea.  Evangelicals in SoCal, on the other hand, still seem to be staunchly conservative based on the anecdotal examples I've seen.  My church (which votes well to the right of white evangelicals as a whole) has gotten a decent influx of California transplants, and they don't seem to be any more liberal than the rest of the church.  Even our young adults ministry was easily >95% Trump, and the California transplants seem no different than anybody else.  Now, most of California is different than the most liberal parts of the Bay Area, and there's probably some degree of self-sorting in who lives there.

What denomination is your church? But I agree that white evangelicals in most of Southern California are still heavily Republican given they tend to be older.

The only cities where I could see white Evangelicals being mostly Democratic are cities like San Francisco, Boston, and New York City along with perhaps Philadelphia, Chicago, and Seattle. White evangelicals there are probably heavily younger professionals with college if not graduate degrees (considering the white working class population in most of the cities I mentioned tend to be Catholic) and those actually living in urban centers probably are selected for those more accepting of cultural liberalism. Moreover, Evangelical congregations there often have large Asian-American (especially Korean and Chines)  presence even in non-ethnic churches meaning there's further leftward social pressures. Tim Keller's Redeemer Presbyterian Church in Manhattan is a good example and its hard for me to see most of the congregants there show any enthusiasm for Trump. I could even see Keller himself vote for Biden, something I can't say for most white Evangelical pastors.

It's a non-denominational evangelical church.  It kind of falls in the middle between Baptist churches and more charismatic churches.  The worship is more charismatic than what I was used to (prior to this church, I'd always gone to Baptist ones since being saved), but the sermons preached are pretty similar to my previous church, even if there are some slight doctrinal differences.

As for why it's so conservative, I think that, at this point, it's largely so conservative because it is so conservative.  Our founding pastor was of the belief that churches should not shy away from issues viewed of political, as long as they are being approached from a Biblical mindset.  So, we don't shy away from stuff like abortion and gay marriage (our opposition to both are actually mentioned on our website).  I would imagine that less politically conservative evangelicals probably prefer other churches for that reason.
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 09:53:15 PM »

The only cities where I could see white Evangelicals being mostly Democratic are cities like San Francisco, Boston, and New York City along with perhaps Philadelphia, Chicago, and Seattle. White evangelicals there are probably heavily younger professionals with college if not graduate degrees (considering the white working class population in most of the cities I mentioned tend to be Catholic) and those actually living in urban centers probably are selected for those more accepting of cultural liberalism. Moreover, Evangelical congregations there often have large Asian-American (especially Korean and Chines)  presence even in non-ethnic churches meaning there's further leftward social pressures. Tim Keller's Redeemer Presbyterian Church in Manhattan is a good example and its hard for me to see most of the congregants there show any enthusiasm for Trump. I could even see Keller himself vote for Biden, something I can't say for most white Evangelical pastors.

Biden got like 23% of the white evangelical vote in the past election which was an improvement from Hillary and I imagine that it's among these groups that that shift occurred. I can't see many of them voting for Trump the first time either though so perhaps some went third party or didn't vote last time and just saw Biden as more tolerable then Hillary this time.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2021, 06:04:02 AM »

Iirc BRTD and his church qualifies as "White Evangelic in ultra-democratic precincts"; so the answer is probably "all liberal, all the time"
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2021, 09:50:42 AM »

DC is going to be pretty different than the Bay Area because you have a semi-decent number of white evangelical transplants there working for conservative politicians or organizations.  Obviously, there are going to be conservative evangelical churches for that population.
Wouldn't most of those people live in the suburbs which while blue aren't the same monoithcaly deep blue shade of DC proper
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2021, 03:22:36 PM »

Based on the 2016 VOTER Survey (as that's what I can pull up quickly), white evangelicals (which I'm defining here as Baptists, Non-Denoms, Pentecostals, and Holiness groups) voted approximately Trump 77, Clinton 19 based on a sample size of 1,126.

Breaking this down by the partisanship of their zip code:

Clinton   0-25%: Trump 82, Clinton 17 (n=253)
Clinton 25-40%: Trump 78, Clinton 18 (n=401)
Clinton 40-60%: Trump 79, Clinton 16 (n=331)
Clinton    60%+: Trump 61, Clinton 38 (n=141)

If you want to really play around with small samples, Clinton >80% zip codes saw white evangelicals vote about the same as Clinton >60% zip codes (n=36). The handful of white evangelical respondents in Clinton >90% zip codes actually voted more Republican: Trump 78, Clinton 22.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2021, 04:35:04 PM »

Based on the 2016 VOTER Survey (as that's what I can pull up quickly), white evangelicals (which I'm defining here as Baptists, Non-Denoms, Pentecostals, and Holiness groups) voted approximately Trump 77, Clinton 19 based on a sample size of 1,126.

Breaking this down by the partisanship of their zip code:

Clinton   0-25%: Trump 82, Clinton 17 (n=253)
Clinton 25-40%: Trump 78, Clinton 18 (n=401)
Clinton 40-60%: Trump 79, Clinton 16 (n=331)
Clinton    60%+: Trump 61, Clinton 38 (n=141)

If you want to really play around with small samples, Clinton >80% zip codes saw white evangelicals vote about the same as Clinton >60% zip codes (n=36). The handful of white evangelical respondents in Clinton >90% zip codes actually voted more Republican: Trump 78, Clinton 22.

This is pretty interesting though I'd assume high Clinton percentage precincts are pretty variable from simply culturally liberal majority or plurality white areas to extremely racially polarized neighbourhoods. It's fascinating you can break it down to that level of granulity via the Voter Survey.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2021, 08:25:03 PM »

Not sure what the polling looks like but the ones I know tend to be hesitant Democrats. Usually pro-life but pretty left as far as Evangelicals go. Quite a few seem to be like Jim Wallis' Red Letter Christians.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2021, 10:36:53 PM »

Iirc BRTD and his church qualifies as "White Evangelic in ultra-democratic precincts"; so the answer is probably "all liberal, all the time"
We're actually not in an ultra-Democratic precinct (well after 2020 we're pretty close, I looked it up and it's a Biden 68-Trump 30 precinct), but most of the members do live in such areas.

Incidentally the precinct the church is located in being Biden+38 really just drives home how big some swings have been considering that it was an Obama 50-Romney 47 precinct.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies