St Louis police murder scandal (PLUS: riots, idiotic press conferences, etc.) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 04:37:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  St Louis police murder scandal (PLUS: riots, idiotic press conferences, etc.) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: St Louis police murder scandal (PLUS: riots, idiotic press conferences, etc.)  (Read 46683 times)
ingemann
YaBB God

« on: August 17, 2014, 04:23:30 PM »

I don't understand why the media keeps portraying him as some innocent teenager who "avoided most of the traps that dragged down many of his peers". Obviously he did not as he liked to rob corner stores.

Because whenever a lightning-rod like event such as this shooting happens, some fraction of the country sees the need to canonize the guy and another fraction wants to paint him as Charles Manson. Both because they need to fit him into the narrative they want to story to fit into.

So what's the narrative we should be running with here? "Man steals cigarillos, should be shot dead in street"?

The problem are how much our perspective are manipulated by the media and our own preconceived opinions. Are this kid a innocent victim and the cop a vicious killer? Did the cop just defend himself? Was it just a result of two people being on the wrong place at the wrong time? How should I or anybody else know?

I just know that I trust the media less than I trust the judicial system (even the American which I don't trust very much).
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 01:22:06 PM »

The problem are that the comment are correct, it's cops job to use violence against you if they think it's necessary, in fact they may even kill you if they find it necessary. So you should never give them a excuse for doing those things to you. If you want the police to change, you should do so by electing politicians who will represent you, not yell at some armed guy, who have a good chance at getting away with killing you
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 07:29:22 AM »

Nailed it in one.  What do I win?

Yes, I understand the narrative has moved past the actual shooting (like it should have when the evidence was clearly not on Brown's side back in the middle of August, but it can be hard to stop an idiot train) on to other, bigger picture issues surrounding the case.

but gloating is fun!

Enjoy it you deserve it (no sarcasm)

Of course, this report will make little difference. Brown will be kept brought up as a innocent victims of police brutality and it will become the narrative of this entire history in the future.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies