Colombia breaks all relations with Israel
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 07:06:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Colombia breaks all relations with Israel
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Colombia breaks all relations with Israel  (Read 359 times)
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 01, 2024, 10:22:29 PM »

https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/colombia-president-petro-says-will-break-diplomatic-relations-with-israel-2024-05-01/

-> source: reuters (since twitter needs to be doublechecked nowadays)

The world is waking up. Israel is becoming a pariah state.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2024, 10:56:11 PM »
« Edited: May 01, 2024, 11:02:24 PM by Edu »

Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2024, 11:36:44 PM »

Massively disliked far-left leader tries to salvage his tenure by picking a fight with the world's favorite whipping boy. News at 11. As long as Petro isn't stupid enough to try to target Jews in his country, he should get what he wants out of this.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2024, 01:10:33 AM »

Israel spent much of the last quarter of the 20th century with far worse diplomatic relations. They'll yawn and carry on.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2024, 08:22:06 AM »

Yeah, this is pretty small beer all round.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2024, 08:34:07 AM »

Good.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2024, 09:05:24 AM »

Yeah, this is pretty small beer all round.

It's symbolic, yes, but still, it counts.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2024, 09:16:40 AM »

Antisemitism and anti-zionist is low key popular here in LATAM, including our own share of antisemitic right wing trolls online.

I think what Petro wants here is to champion anti-zionism: this means criticizing the existence of Israel. This is a popular cause in a good part the latino left.

Now, if the colombian right wing press show the country the exceses of the protests in the USA and the horros what hostages suffer, combined with Petro's own failings, this may help to hurt him in the mid term.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2024, 09:51:39 AM »

I don’t think normal people in Latin America care that much either way tbh. I am talking about both Pro-Israel and Pro-Palestine camps btw.

Sure, they exist but they’re FAR from being as passionate as their Western counterparts. The Israel supporters are mostly evangelicals who don’t even really understand what’s happening but use Israel symbolisms for the sake of aesthetics as someone told them it’s a far-right religious country that is aligned with their beliefs. Palestine supporters otoh will support stuff that may sound harsh to Western ears, like cutting relationships with Israel, but they aren’t really that passionate about it like you see people in the West demonstrate with solidarity messages or active protesting.

And frankly, I like it that way much more as it’s not something that is happening near us. Much less performative and less emotional reaction than Westerners tend to have, each leader just has their own position/ideology and does something according it and that’s it, people just accept it whatever the hell it is, from relocating Israel embassy to Jerusalem to cutting diplomatic relationships with Israel altogether.

Give me that every day over US and even Europe being clearly Pro-Israel while trying to simultaneously convey a false solidarity for Palestinians in order to appease part of their progressive electorate while failing to do so because it’s obvious and angering those progressive activists instead.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2024, 10:48:52 AM »

I don’t think normal people in Latin America care that much either way tbh. I am talking about both Pro-Israel and Pro-Palestine camps btw.

I admit that the way this particular old conflict has melted the brains of people in the US and Europe is somewhat hilarious. I mean, some guy on this very forum said that he and his girlfriend were basically splitting up thanks to this war lol.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2024, 11:10:34 AM »

Obviously people in LATAM don't care much about what's happening there, but the opposition to Israel is social media is evident and not by muslims nor arabs... People won't protest for it, but it can still affect the popularity of the supporters.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies