Which party voters "stereotype" is more true
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 08:44:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Which party voters "stereotype" is more true
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
D-Hippies

R-Rednecks

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: Which party voters "stereotype" is more true  (Read 3310 times)
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 26, 2011, 09:01:34 PM »
« edited: December 30, 2011, 05:55:20 PM by Ramsey Clark »

I'm going rednecks-Republicans slightly since there are many labor Democrats that are anything but hippies and the Republicans have been gaining Dixie since the days of Barry Goldwater. If you ask me this question in 1960, I would have answer it differently. Hippies didn't exist around that time but another subculture similar to them, the Beatniks, probably weren't big voters of either party and more likely to vote third party.  
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 09:12:04 PM »

Were beatniks even that political?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 09:35:05 PM »

red necks only because there is a lot more of them.  Being a hippy is a fad you grow into and out of, being a red neck is something you almost have to be born into and it's a lot harder to stop being one.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 12:08:27 AM »

red necks only because there is a lot more of them.  Being a hippy is a fad you grow into and out of, being a red neck is something you almost have to be born into and it's a lot harder to stop being one.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 11:26:09 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatnik

"Politics tended to be liberal; with support for causes such as desegregation (although many of the figures associated with the original Beat movement, particularly Jack Kerouac, embraced libertarian/conservative ideas). An openness to African-American culture and arts was apparent in literature and music, notably jazz. While Caen and other writers implied a connection with communism, there was no obvious or direct connection between the beat philosophy (as expressed by the leading authors of this literary movement) and the philosophy of the communist movement, other than the antipathy that both philosophies shared towards capitalism."
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 02:38:17 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Plus, the hippie years aren't typically the age one votes frequently. A better stereotype would be Republicans as white people (of any socioeconomic background) and Democrats as non-white people (of any socioeconomic background). And yes, that model isn't perfect, but it's a lot better than hippie v redneck.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 08:36:57 PM »

Rednecks duh!

There are a hell of a lot more of them than there are Hippies.  Seriously, do Hippies even number over half a million?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 06:47:34 PM »

Well, certain circles of the  Paultie movement and TEA Party could be considered "hippies" by some.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 07:36:46 PM »

By some very stupid people.
Industigy
Rookie
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 12:43:46 AM »

This ^
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 01:36:13 PM »

Two questions, what was the point of the thread and who voted for hippies outnumbering red necks?
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 01:50:28 PM »

Two questions, what was the point of the thread and who voted for hippies outnumbering red necks?

I was tired and wanted to be random with you guys, so I created this thread. As for your second question, some Republicans I'm assuming that think the whole Democratic party is Democratic Underground.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »

Rednecks duh!

There are a hell of a lot more of them than there are Hippies.  Seriously, do Hippies even number over half a million?

Yes...
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 11:28:46 PM »

There are a lot of rednecks, but not many aren't political or aren't hardcore Republican.

There are also a lot of libertarian-leaning Republicans and businessmen who vote Republican.

(Also, "more truer" is grammatically incorrect Wink )
Reginald
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 04:53:44 AM »
« Edited: December 31, 2011, 04:56:06 AM by Reginald »

Neither stereotype is all that great. A hippie strikes me as more of a third party stereotype (mostly Green, maybe some Libertarian) and the typical redneck (I'm using a rigid definition of the term here; living where I do gives me a depressingly keen ability to differentiate between the mere "southern hospitality" types and the total bumpkins) couldn't care less about politics. Nevertheless, I did vote redneck, since the general social consensus on what makes one a redneck is much less exclusionary than my personal opinion.

I've never met any rednecks nor hippies, since I live in a city (Dallas) with a metro population of 6.47 million.

Yet I see someone has an even more strict definition than mine.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2011, 07:02:14 AM »

Neither stereotype is all that great. A hippie strikes me as more of a third party stereotype (mostly Green, maybe some Libertarian) and the typical redneck (I'm using a rigid definition of the term here; living where I do gives me a depressingly keen ability to differentiate between the mere "southern hospitality" types and the total bumpkins) couldn't care less about politics. Nevertheless, I did vote redneck, since the general social consensus on what makes one a redneck is much less exclusionary than my personal opinion.

I've never met any rednecks nor hippies, since I live in a city (Dallas) with a metro population of 6.47 million.

I actually agree.

Most "rednecks" I know work at either Wal-mart or Target and spend most of their free time smoking dope and watching shows on Channel 9 or some other standard news channel.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2011, 08:06:44 AM »

I actually agree.

Most "rednecks" I know work at either Wal-mart or Target and spend most of their free time smoking dope and watching shows on Channel 9 or some other standard news channel.

And most of the rednecks I know try to be so manly that they come off as homoerotic.  Ironic, isn't it?  Wink
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2011, 11:15:21 AM »

I actually agree.

And most of the rednecks I know try to be so manly that they come off as homoerotic.  Ironic, isn't it?  Wink

So called "buffs" are more homosexual then they really think themselves when one looks inside a mirror. You know all the tackling and touching that shows their awesome, eye dripping, hair twisted, mind blogging homosexual skills for homophobic men. You get where I'm going with this...
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2011, 04:27:33 PM »

Rednecks are unanimously Republican at this stage and they dominate "middle America". I'm using the loose definition of the term that assigns to redneck label to anyone who participates heavily in what I call "rural culture": being a fundie, driving a large truck for no apparent reason, dressing mildly western, wearing hunting camo etc. While they have no political knowledge, they have a visceral hatred of Obama.

Hippies are hippies, I'm not going to call someone who has a small interest in alt culture to be a hippie and for this reason hippies are so insignificant at this point that they don't matter but they're basically unanimously Democrats outside of libertarian-minded ones and ultra-leftists. They don't matter though.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2011, 04:30:51 PM »

Well, if that's "rural culture" to you, then you're the ignorant one.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2011, 04:31:54 PM »

The more accurate Dem stereotype would be airheaded college kids who think that the Democrats are really going to fulfill their hopes of progress.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2011, 04:46:05 PM »
« Edited: December 31, 2011, 04:50:15 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

Well, if that's "rural culture" to you, then you're the ignorant one.

I've lived in a rural area my whole life, chill. I'm not saying that these people even make up a large minority of the residents in most rural areas, they're just a cultural group that's unique to rural areas and that gives rural areas their flavor.

Ever hear of the term "urban culture"? Does that apply to even 20% of people in urban areas? No.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2012, 05:27:22 PM »

I have to go with DFB on this one. A lot of the stereotypes are true. I say this as a person who lives in the most rural area of the country, has dated "several" redneck girls, used to hang out with 'rednecks' in high school and has a large extended family of 'rednecks'.

This is to say that not all Republicans are Rednecks, but about 90% of rednecks are Republican. There are a couple of rancher kids who are pro-environment and pro-ACLU Democrats (still pretty conservative...but they voted for Obama) but because of education and income, they may not fit the "redneck" subculture...but perhaps they are the upper crust of it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies