Official Torino 2006 thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 04:10:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Official Torino 2006 thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Official Torino 2006 thread  (Read 16344 times)
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« on: February 16, 2006, 10:14:30 PM »

The USA Women had a tough curling loss. Aside from the fact I have no clue what the hell is going on, I don't find curling to be that boring a sport.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 04:54:25 PM »

We played well, but couldn't pull out a victory.  I don't think this is our year in hockey.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 05:21:04 PM »

Well, these games (and the Athens games too) have seemed unspectactular, to say the least. I'm looking forward to Beijing 2008, I have a feeling they will be one of the most important Olympiads in a long time. In terms of "bigness" it has the potential to be up there with Berlin 1936 and Lake Placid 1980. 
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 07:41:01 PM »

The only 'spectacular' Olympics in the last 20 years-Barcelona 1992; Lillehammer 1994; Sydney 2000. Sydney was obviously the best of the three, but Barcelona 'saved' the Olympics.

I only remember starting with Sydney, and my memories of that are very fond. It seemed like the Aussies really cared, and for the most part filled up the stands. Salt Lake was good as well, the last two Olympics have been lacking however.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 07:46:55 PM »

The only 'spectacular' Olympics in the last 20 years-Barcelona 1992; Lillehammer 1994; Sydney 2000. Sydney was obviously the best of the three, but Barcelona 'saved' the Olympics.

I only remember starting with Sydney, and my memories of that are very fond. It seemed like the Aussies really cared, and for the most part filled up the stands. Salt Lake was good as well, the last two Olympics have been lacking however.

I think the Athens Olympics had its moments: the shot put at the site of the ancient Olympics is one that comes to mind. It seemed to me like the Greeks were into the Games as well.

I just remember seeing lots of empty seats everywhere.

This Olympics will probably go down more in negative history for the USA, in terms of what could have been. Compared with the excitement of 2002, we bombed in figure skating. Hockey was nearly as bad as Nagano, no where near as good as Salt Lake. Bode will take a lot of heat for many months to come, much of it undeserved. Jacobellis will probably be remembered the most, and Leon Lett probably has a large check in the mail made out to her. The Hedrick-Davis feud won't last for very long, because there are Olympic feuds, and then there is Harding-Kerrigan, and if it's not Harding-Kerrigan, it's not going to be remembered. In terms of the marquee events, the Americans failed, but when it comes to Olympics, we don't really remember failure, we'd rather just reminisce about the USA-Soviet hockey game.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies