Like-a-Fishhook Election Tracking
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:22:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Like-a-Fishhook Election Tracking
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: Like-a-Fishhook Election Tracking  (Read 15821 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2008, 09:18:02 PM »

I felt kind of bad writing the ballot, but the law is the law...

You could've vetoed it. Wink
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2008, 10:50:43 PM »

I felt kind of bad writing the ballot, but the law is the law...

You could've vetoed it. Wink

No, I can't veto things with two thirds approval. Smiley
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2008, 11:20:35 PM »

The next Pacific Legislature law should be the True Accuracy in Balloting Act.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2008, 12:48:10 AM »

Short, but stubby!
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2008, 01:20:58 AM »

Bgwah, you are a mayor Daley machine boss type, with arguably some questionable ethics, but you make the trains run on time, in your little fiefdom, more than some other ones, and I would have voted for you anyway. Tongue The Pacific region is quite the political snake pit. Cheers.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2008, 01:27:31 AM »

Bgwah, you are a mayor Daley machine boss type, with arguably some questionable ethics, but you make the trains run on time, in your little fiefdom, more than some other ones, and I would have voted for you anyway. Tongue The Pacific region is quite the political snake pit. Cheers.

Welcome to the one-party state. This is what the Southeast hopefully will be in a few months. Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2008, 04:04:31 AM »

The next Pacific Legislature law should be the True Accuracy in Balloting Act.
I suggest the Fairness in Candidate Insults Act

"All candidates shall be listed on the ballot as "Chode". They shall be identified on the ballot only by their state and party affiliation. Should there be two candidates from the same state with the same party affiliation, they shall be additionally identified by their forum number code". (If you click on view profile and check the address, that's the digits at the end. Not sure what it's officially called - somebody better check that before passing the law).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2008, 04:20:43 AM »

Count updated.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2008, 09:02:06 AM »

Still liking my chances, I've actually started to rack up a few 2nd and 3rd prefs.  My campaign is currently predicting a voter turnout between 50-60 and a quota between 10-12
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2008, 10:23:34 AM »

Hey! While I was updating, two more votes came in! Not fair! Cheesy

DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2008, 10:28:19 AM »

Why do you have Benconstine's vote flowing to Andrew once he's eliminated??  I'm his 2nd pref, I am confusing the rules again Tongue
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2008, 10:49:56 AM »

Why do you have Benconstine's vote flowing to Andrew once he's eliminated??  I'm his 2nd pref, I am confusing the rules again Tongue
It was an error - holdover from earlier counts where you were already elected on the first count. I noticed it while editing... and then PBrunsel came and made it true again. Cheesy
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2008, 01:31:32 PM »

It is fascinating to see how the votes spill all over the place. There are wheels within wheels going on here.   Jas did a yeoman's job try to make some sense of it all, but it is an uphill battle I think to do that. Smiley
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2008, 03:02:01 PM »

Yeah, I really like this system as it's probably the most fair to the most political groups and would like to see it in the US.  Sadly it's VERY confusing.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2008, 03:40:40 PM »

Yeah, I really like this system as it's probably the most fair to the most political groups and would like to see it in the US.  Sadly it's VERY confusing.

Well, it's worked fine in Australia.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2008, 05:28:27 PM »

How is a vote without a first preference counted?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2008, 05:33:58 PM »
« Edited: August 22, 2008, 06:07:58 PM by Jas »

It's a judgment call for the SoFA. If he can make a 'reasonable determination' of the intent of the voter, then he should count the vote in that manner. (per the Consolidated Electoral Reform Act).
Also see Akno21 v Fritz: "For any vote to be valid, there must be no doubt as to the intent of the voter."
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2008, 05:37:16 PM »

It is fascinating to see how the votes spill all over the place. There are wheels within wheels going on here.   Jas did a yeoman's job try to make some sense of it all, but it is an uphill battle I think to do that. Smiley

Still open for questions! Grin
Like most things, with a bit of experience it should become clearer and more understandable.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2008, 06:23:37 PM »

Alright I have a question:

What do you with DCUnited's vote?  I looked it over a few times and it looks like she does not have a 1st preference, a 2nd-9th are there, but no first.  Does 2nd automatically become first and so on?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2008, 06:28:08 PM »

What do you with DCUnited's vote?  I looked it over a few times and it looks like she does not have a 1st preference, a 2nd-9th are there, but no first.  Does 2nd automatically become first and so on?

I presume that's why Mikado asked his question, and I really don't have much to say beyond what I said above. It is a judgment call for the SoFA.

If I were SoFA, I wouldn't count it because I don't know what she intended. But that's hypotethical and there's no point second guessing the SoFA.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2008, 06:30:36 PM »

I presume that's why Mikado asked his question, and I really don't have much to say beyond what I said above. It is a judgment call for the SoFA.

If I were SoFA, I wouldn't count it because I don't know what she intended. But that's hypotethical and there's no point second guessing the SoFA.
Sorry, didn't see the other question Tongue
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2008, 07:04:33 PM »

I'd like an update. Even if the update isn't totally up-to-date, it would be nice to see figures for where the election stands. Wink
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2008, 07:18:01 PM »

I'd like an update. Even if the update isn't totally up-to-date, it would be nice to see figures for where the election stands. Wink

Unfortunately my spreadsheet is on another computer - so I won't be able to give a proper update until tomorrow morning.

Lewis's first post in this thread is updated to PBrunsel. Since then 4 new votes, 2 for Xahar, 1 for Al, 1 for DWTL. The quota is now 8.

I'd say DWTL's seat is now probably safe. Colin, CultureKing, Xahar and Al are favourites to take the other 4, though Sensei is still in the running and HappyWarrior has come from nowhere to being a dark horse. Andrew and myself are rank outsiders at this point. If benconstine takes a seat then we will have proof that miracles do happen.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2008, 09:29:30 PM »

Not to mention running for two offices at the same time is kind of lame. But thanks, I guess. Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2008, 03:46:14 AM »

It's a judgment call for the SoFA. If he can make a 'reasonable determination' of the intent of the voter, then he should count the vote in that manner.
Marginal correction: It's a judgment call for the SoFA, with the option of going to court available no matter how he rules (unless it makes no difference to the final list of electees, I suppose).

He has ruled the ballot invalid. I will publish, both right after the next regular update, and after the polls close (but not at any additional update points in between) a count that includes her vote, treating her second pref. as first etc. This is just for informational value, and should not be read as disapproval or approval of the SoFA's decision.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies