Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 06:13:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion Thread  (Read 14968 times)
DaWN
United Kingdom

« on: May 06, 2019, 04:05:16 PM »

I'm honestly kind of bloody sick of this show now. The decline in quality over the past season or two has been so steep, it's like the writers who did so well establishing good characters and stories in the past just completely forgot how to do so. I'm sick of the manufactured conflict, the bad character motivations, the ENDLESS self-congratulatory wankfests (like, seriously, we had a whole episode of it, did we really need to dedicate the first half hour of this one to it as well) and most of all that they literally cannot decide on a progression for some of these characters. Arya, Jaime, Sansa, f!ck, even Dany and Jon at this point are literally changing motivation from episode to episode.

And why are the episodes suddenly so long? They used to be a good solid 45 minutes and now every one is like an hour and a quarter, why the f!ck is that necessary?
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 04:29:53 PM »

I'm honestly kind of bloody sick of this show now. The decline in quality over the past season or two has been so steep, it's like the writers who did so well establishing good characters and stories in the past just completely forgot how to do so. I'm sick of the manufactured conflict, the bad character motivations, the ENDLESS self-congratulatory wankfests (like, seriously, we had a whole episode of it, did we really need to dedicate the first half hour of this one to it as well) and most of all that they literally cannot decide on a progression for some of these characters. Arya, Jaime, Sansa, f!ck, even Dany and Jon at this point are literally changing motivation from episode to episode.

And why are the episodes suddenly so long? They used to be a good solid 45 minutes and now every one is like an hour and a quarter, why the f!ck is that necessary?

I mean, the first seasons they were adapting a plot and dialogue they could lift straight out of the books. It's no coincidence that once they ran out of source material and had to come up with their own stuff it all went downhill quickly. This actually isn't even surprising once you consider the decisions they made to deviate from the books in the first place, which were generally pretty bad ones.

Yeah I'd forgotten about that That's probably it. Say what you want about GRRM but he knows how to write a compelling story with good characters.
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 04:47:58 PM »

This episode was actually an improvement over the last one. The writing and characters were still crap but I was at least entertained rather than bored out of my skull.
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 04:37:57 PM »

Well that was much better than I thought it would be. Still not actually good mind, but while the dumb sh!t was definitely dumb, most of the character arcs ended well enough and there were a lot of moments that carried the spirit of the earlier years (i.e not sucking). It was still pretty contrived and rubbish but compared to the season as a whole it went out on a high.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies