Gun Plan (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 10:09:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Gun Plan (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gun Plan  (Read 5699 times)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« on: November 10, 2013, 02:16:40 AM »

I would like something like a European/highly regulated system akin to the UK.  Shooting guns is a fun activity, but the toll of human misery they cause is unconscionable. 
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 04:25:27 PM »

No restrictions upon the right to bear arms.

I'm moving more toward this position. I've done a lot of reading and talked to a lot of people about this and I'm starting to look at gun ownership with less disapproval than I did. I still stand for background checks and I still don't think anyone needs to own assault rifles or any of that jazz but yeah

What reading have you done? I haven't seen anything that says that gun ownership makes sense, except for a very, very few instances.

Mostly articles posted on Facebook from both left and right wing blogs and whatnot. I'm looking at gun ownership as a hobby, the same way that building model airplanes is a hobby. The fact of the matter is that a majority of gun owners aren't violent about it, they just own weapons. Is gun violence unfortunate? Yes. But it's very hard to actually prevent it.

If 30,000 people were killed by model airplanes last year, nobody would shrug their shoulders and give up on trying to create sensible regulations.  And honestly, there is a balancing act between allowing people to pursue a hobby and the survival of 30,000 people every year.  But, I would submit that life is precious and hobbies are less so.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 05:42:44 PM »

No restrictions upon the right to bear arms.

I'm moving more toward this position. I've done a lot of reading and talked to a lot of people about this and I'm starting to look at gun ownership with less disapproval than I did. I still stand for background checks and I still don't think anyone needs to own assault rifles or any of that jazz but yeah

What reading have you done? I haven't seen anything that says that gun ownership makes sense, except for a very, very few instances.

Mostly articles posted on Facebook from both left and right wing blogs and whatnot. I'm looking at gun ownership as a hobby, the same way that building model airplanes is a hobby. The fact of the matter is that a majority of gun owners aren't violent about it, they just own weapons. Is gun violence unfortunate? Yes. But it's very hard to actually prevent it.

If 30,000 people were killed by model airplanes last year, nobody would shrug their shoulders and give up on trying to create sensible regulations.  And honestly, there is a balancing act between allowing people to pursue a hobby and the survival of 30,000 people every year.  But, I would submit that life is precious and hobbies are less so.
Is that statistic for people killed by all firearms, or just legally owned ones?

That's about the number of people killed by all firearms per year.  I don't understand what distinction you're trying to make.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies