Election 2020: The Game! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 01:35:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Election 2020: The Game! (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Election 2020: The Game!  (Read 80933 times)
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« on: July 24, 2016, 10:51:26 PM »

TIM SCOTT 2020

South Carolina Senator Tim Scott announces his 2020 Presidential bid at an event in Charleston

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 03:06:56 PM »

TIM SCOTT CAMPAIGN SCHEDULE

Senator Tim Scott discusses strategy with his campaign staff

September 14:
- Town hall and meet-and-greet at North Charleston High School (location of announcement) in SC
- Meet-and-greet in North Charleston, SC
- Fundraising dinner in Charleston, SC

September 15:
- Interviews on Sunday shows such as Meet the Press, Fox News Sunday, and Face the Nation
- Sunday service at Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church (Mother Emanuel) in Charleston. Senator Scott gives a brief address about race relations in America

- Barnstorming and meet-and-greet in Summerville, SC
- Barnstorming in Hilton Head Island, SC
- Meeting with campaign volunteers and staff in Columbia, SC to help open up his campaign office in the city

September 16:
- Constituent breakfast in Columbia, SC
- Barnstorming and town hall in Orangeburg, SC
- Barnstorming and town hall in Lexington, SC
- Rally in Newberry, SC
- Fundraising dinner in Rock Hill, SC

September 17:
- Fundraising breakfast in Rock Hill, SC
- Barnstorming, town hall, and meet-and-greet in Spartanburg, SC
- Meeting with donors (fundraising) in Spartanburg, SC
- Barnstorming and meet-and-greet in Greenville, SC
- Town hall in Gaffney, SC

September 18:
- Flight from Greenville-Spartanburg Airport to Chattanooga, TN
- Barnstorming, town hall, and meet-and-greet in Chattanooga, TN
- Campaign announces the opening of several "storefront" field offices in Iowa, Tennessee, and South Carolina via press release at noon

- Town hall and meet-and-greet in Pulaski, TN
- Barnstorming and town hall in Shelbyville, TN

September 19:
- Meeting with donors in Nashville, TN
- Town hall and meet-and-greet in Nashville, TN
- Speech at historically black Fisk University in Nashville, TN

- Barnstorming and town hall in Smyrna, TN

September 20:
- Phone calls with potential donors for most of the day
- Rally in Nashville, TN
- Meet-and-greet dinner in Nashville, TN
- Attends a Friday night show at the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville, briefly addresses concertgoers
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 12:25:34 PM »

I just did it because everyone else was doing it Tongue
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 12:16:50 PM »

BREAKING NEWS

Hello, I'm Wolf Blitzer, and this is CNN. We have just learned that South Carolina Senator Tim Scott will be withdrawing from the Presidential contest. This comes after a catastrophic first week of campaign gaffes and unforced errors, and marks what is likely one of the shortest, if not the shortest, presidential campaign in history. More on this breaking story coming up...not really lol
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 01:06:10 PM »

So, yeah. I'm taking over the game. For the sake of consistency, this turn will last the same length as decided before, but I will be adopting DKrol's full set of rules for future turns:

Each new turn will start with poll numbers in early states, whatever major events occur during the week (with background, if called for), and debate questions if a debate is occurring. I'll be expanding on LLR's debate schedule during the primaries, depending on how long they last on both sides.

Please PM me with any questions you may have, and post your schedules! Thank you!
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 09:39:35 PM »

I didn't expect Tim Scott to drop out so early. So must the responses to these breaking news be included in our original schedules?
Maybe Ted Bessell is doing it so he can focus on being the leader of the game?

There's no need for you to respond. Except for by throwing a party. Because if I had stayed in, I would have kicked your butts Wink
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 03:36:05 AM »

Just for the record, I'm going to be handling polling and "news" in the game. If you have an idea for an event, run it by me via PM, but please do not post them yourself. In addition, if you want to do anything with polling please make sure it is okay with me beforehand as well. Thanks.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 12:27:43 PM »

Another note -- you can "respond" to news events in any way you'd like. You can incorporate responses into speeches, you can release statements, you can reference the event in debate answers, or you can not respond at all (although this may have negative consequences). It's up to you.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 07:03:31 PM »

Another note -- you can "respond" to news events in any way you'd like. You can incorporate responses into speeches, you can release statements, you can reference the event in debate answers, or you can not respond at all (although this may have negative consequences). It's up to you.
Just to be sure, if we did not expect such an event so early, can the response not be included in our original schedule?

I will release some news at the start of each turn for you to respond to during that turn.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 07:31:00 PM »

Just to be sure, if we did not expect such an event so early, can the response not be included in our original schedule?

I will release some news at the start of each turn for you to respond to during that turn.

Is that possible to modify our schedule above and add our reaction in it?

I guess, but I don't know why you would need to, because none of the events have happened yet, and you wouldn't be able to change anything if you modified your schedule to fix a mistake after the deadline. But if you post a schedule and forget something, but make your modifications before the deadline, I guess it would be fine.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 07:41:45 PM »

Is that possible to modify our schedule above and add our reaction in it?

I guess, but I don't know why you would need to, because none of the events have happened yet, and you wouldn't be able to change anything if you modified your schedule to fix a mistake after the deadline. But if you post a schedule and forget something, but make your modifications before the deadline, I guess it would be fine.

So if I understand this point clearly, this event only happens at the end of the week covered by the second turn?

For the sake of efficiency and giving you all the most possible time to respond, you can just pretend that the entire week's news occurs at the exact moment the previous turn ends and the new one begins.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2016, 09:23:11 PM »

No one, except for me, Paul Ryan, Hillary Clinton and Tim Ashe has posted their schedules. But does the next turn still start tomorrow?

No, the turn starts the day after tomorrow.

On that note, please have your schedules posted and all by 12:00 Pacific time -- there will be serious consequences for your numbers if you don't.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 11:06:26 AM »

The turn is over, the next turn will begin as soon as I get new poll numbers and updates out.

Another note -- I'm changing the rules from having a penalty for not responding to events to a bonus for responding to them. I'm not going to go bore you with my reasoning here, but it's not going to be spectacularly consequential either way.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2016, 04:21:47 PM »
« Edited: August 02, 2016, 06:48:09 PM by Ted Bessell, Bass God of the West »

The News

2020 Campaign Heats Up

Note: For various reasons, I will be making some changes to LLR's polling.

The 2020 election is rolling along!

Let's start with the Republican race. As you can see from our polling data, House Speaker Paul Ryan has sustained his national lead, although the margin has narrowed since we last polled the horse race. Florida Senator Marco Rubio maintains his second-place position, and is closing in on Ryan, but his polling lead in New Hampshire has narrowed significantly. Most notable, though, is the rising candidate in the race -- Iowa Senator Joni Ernst. Ernst has some serious momentum, which appears to be derived from the lack of another "very conservative" or "populist" option in the running after Senator Tim Scott's exit. Currently, she only leads in her home state of Iowa, but that may change. Cory Gardner has also made gains among younger and more libertarian Republicans, but he continues to struggle with national name recognition. In the meantime, Arkansas Senator Tom Cotton and former FBI Director James Comey have slipped further in presidential polling, and risk being removed from polling entirely if they do not post schedules and such.

Meanwhile, President Clinton's apparent snub of primary challenger and Vermont Congressman Tim Ashe has not done her any favors in her nomination battle. Ashe has dramatically risen in the polls, and although he still trails the incumbent President by a wide margin nationally and in Iowa, he leads comfortably in his home state and has narrowed the gap to the mid-low teens in New Hampshire. Many Sanders 2016 backers, especially young people, are backing Ashe due to perceived failings of the Clinton Administration to advance progressive causes -- it is clear that she will need to defend her record and handle the challenge much better than she is currently if she hopes to escape the primary unscathed. However, many Democratic voters are uncomfortable voting for someone as left-wing as Ashe is, and may need assurances that he is not a member of the "Green Tea Party" and does not represent the negative traits of Ted Cruz and Mike Lee simply flipped on the ideological spectrum.

National Polls:
Hillary Clinton 65%
Tim Ashe 19%

Paul Ryan 21%
Marco Rubio 19%
Joni Ernst 16%
Cory Gardner 10%
John Kasich 8%
Tom Cotton 2%
James Comey 1%

Iowa Polls:
Hillary Clinton 61%
Tim Ashe 22%

Joni Ernst 29%
Paul Ryan 17%
Marco Rubio 14%
Cory Gardner 7%
John Kasich 7%
Tom Cotton 2%
James Comey 1%

New Hampshire Polls:
Hillary Clinton 55%
Tim Ashe 39%

Marco Rubio 24%
Paul Ryan 18%
John Kasich 19%
Joni Ernst 13%
Cory Gardner 12%
James Comey 1%
Tom Cotton 1%

South Carolina Polls:
Hillary Clinton 71%
Tim Ashe 14%

Marco Rubio 23%
Paul Ryan 20%
Joni Ernst 15%
Cory Gardner 10%
John Kasich: 6%
Tom Cotton 2%
James Comey 1%

Nevada Polls:
Hillary Clinton 60%
Tim Ashe 23%

Marco Rubio: 28%
Paul Ryan 19%
Cory Gardner 14%
Joni Ernst 13%
John Kasich 5%
Tom Cotton 1%
James Comey 1%

Tennessee Polls:
Hillary Clinton 68%
Tim Ashe 16%

Paul Ryan 25%
Marco Rubio 22%
Joni Ernst 16%
Cory Gardner: 10%
John Kasich: 7%
Tom Cotton: 2%
James Comey: 1%

Stocks Dip as China Fears Intensify

Economic troubles in China rattled global markets this week, as widespread credit defaults roiled the Asian nation's banking industry. "Triggers" to halt trading on Chinese exchanged were activated two times during the week. Global indexes dipped between five and eight percent over the course of the crash, but most are currently on track to recover.

Report: Kennedy Mulls Retirement

Reports from sources close to Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy indicate that the 83 year old Justice is considering retirement from the bench, due in part to his age.

Nominated by Ronald Reagan and confirmed in 1988, Kennedy is the most senior Justice on the court. While he was nominated by a conservative President and has generally sided with the conservative wing of the court, he has attracted the ire of right-wingers by siding with liberals on some important social issues, and is generally considered to be a swing justice. Kennedy's retirement could significantly change the balance of power on the court.

President Clinton has filled two vacancies on the bench during her Presidency -- one with Justice Merrick Garland, who she renominated to the late Antonin Scalia's seat after Obama was termed out without a nominee, and one with Justice Sri Srinivasan, who filled the vacancy created by Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's retirement.

DPRK Conducts Exercise Near Border

North Korean military forces conducted a large-scale military exercise near the DMZ, the nation's border with South Korea. Exercises were also conducted just fifteen miles away from the Port of Incheon.

Tensions between the two countries have escalated in recent months, as North Korean nuclear and missile tests have increased in frequency and become more brazen, and loudspeaker propaganda on both sides across the DMZ has ramped up.

Endorsements

(For the purposes of efficiency, endorsements will take effect in the turn after they are announced.)

Bill Weld: Former Governor Gary Johnson, Former Governor Lincoln Chafee

Joni Ernst: Senator Chuck Grassley, Senator Ben Sasse

Cory Gardner: Former Senator Kelly Ayotte
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2016, 04:22:27 PM »

The next turn has begun. Please post schedules within 72 hours.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2016, 05:53:38 PM »

I have 2 questions :

-I thought the maximum time for schedules was 96 hours. Is that still the case?
-If I ever want to PM you, do we do it by emails? If yes, what is your email address?

1. I was under the impression that there was a range, but because turns are only one week I'm going to stick with 72 hours from now on.
2. Click on the link to my profile, then click the "send message" link in my profile to contact me for endorsements or other things.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2016, 06:44:46 PM »

I have 2 questions :

-If I ever want to PM you, do we do it by emails? If yes, what is your email address?

1. I was under the impression that there was a range, but because turns are only one week I'm going to stick with 72 hours from now on.
2. Click on the link to my profile, then click the "send message" link in my profile to contact me for endorsements or other things.

Just wondering, who is the Governor of New Hampshire?

Chris Sununu defeated incumbent Colin Van Ostern in a 2018 rematch for the Governorship.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2016, 07:09:29 PM »

I have 2 questions :

Chris Sununu defeated incumbent Colin Van Ostern in a 2018 rematch for the Governorship.

Can the reason for an endorsement be the offer of a post in my candidate's administration?

You can do that, if you're willing to risk a scandal if the information leaks.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2016, 09:06:33 AM »

I have 2 questions :

Can the reason for an endorsement be the offer of a post in my candidate's administration?

O.K., so I better not.

Does the current week include October 5 or only until October 4, 2019?

All turns are seven in-game days long.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2016, 10:44:05 AM »

I have 2 questions :

O.K., so I better not.

Does the current week include October 5 or only until October 4, 2019?

All turns are seven in-game days long.

I remember that the next Republican debate will be set in Texas on October 8, 2019. But do we know which city in Texas will host this debate?

The debate will be held in Dallas.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2016, 10:38:46 AM »

I ask for an extention until tomorrow @ 3 PM EST. Would that be possible?

Sure.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2016, 09:35:25 PM »

Just wondering, is Los Angeles selected as the host city of the 2024 Summer Olympics?

Yes, and yes to your earlier question. I'll try and crank out some stuff tonight.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2016, 11:25:27 PM »

Just wondering, is Los Angeles selected as the host city of the 2024 Summer Olympics?

Yes, and yes to your earlier question. I'll try and crank out some stuff tonight.

Is that possible to make more than one suggestion of endorsements in one PM sent to you?

Of course it is.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2016, 12:57:57 PM »

Polls, events and endorsements will come in another incoming post:

The News

Comey's "Clinton Problem" Speech Sends Shockwaves Trough 2020 Campaign

The 2020 election is rolling along!

James Comey's shock announcement that Attorney General Loretta Lynch and President Barack Obama pressured him to sit on evidence that Clinton had flagrantly violated the law and should have been charged -- rocketing a Republican candidate previously seen as a joke into the top tier of his party, and cratering the approval ratings and primary numbers of President Clinton.

The former FBI Director jumped a stunning fourteen percentage points in our national polling in a mere week, and his momentum shows no sign of slowing. Comey appears to be siphoning "Trumpist" voters away from Joni Ernst, who was previously the candidate of choice for this group, although she is still holding her own because of a strong position among "very conservative" voters. He has also drawn a bit from each of the other candidates. The once-rising star Tom Cotton, in the meantime, is continuing to sink, and is now on the "death watch" of most political observers.

Meanwhile, Clinton's support in the Democratic primaries has slid rapidly, largely due to the mushrooming email scandal -- and she hasn't been on the trail to counter the narrative. Ashe has opened up a small lead on the incumbent President in the critical early state of New Hampshire, is closing in in Iowa, and has made major gains nationally. Clinton's bungling of the challenge to her renomination has also contributed to her hemorrhaging.

National Polls:
Hillary Clinton 51%
Tim Ashe 33%

Paul Ryan 20%
Marco Rubio 17%
James Comey 15%
Joni Ernst 13%
Cory Gardner 9%
John Kasich 7%
Tom Cotton 1%

Iowa Polls:
Hillary Clinton 48%
Tim Ashe 37%

Joni Ernst 22%
Paul Ryan 14%
James Comey 14%
Marco Rubio 10%
Cory Gardner 6%
John Kasich 5%
Tom Cotton 1%

New Hampshire Polls:
Tim Ashe 45%
Hillary Clinton 43%

Marco Rubio 24%
Paul Ryan 16%
John Kasich 15%
James Comey 13%
Cory Gardner 10%
Joni Ernst 9%
Tom Cotton 1%

South Carolina Polls:
Hillary Clinton 64%
Tim Ashe 25%

Marco Rubio 20%
Paul Ryan 18%
James Comey 15%
Joni Ernst 10%
Cory Gardner 9%
John Kasich: 5%
Tom Cotton 1%

Nevada Polls:
Hillary Clinton 55%
Tim Ashe 30%

Marco Rubio: 24%
Paul Ryan 15%
Cory Gardner 13%
James Comey 13%
Joni Ernst 4%
John Kasich 5%
Tom Cotton 1%

Tennessee Polls:
Hillary Clinton 58%
Tim Ashe 26%

Paul Ryan 21%
Marco Rubio 18%
James Comey: 15%
Joni Ernst 11%
Cory Gardner: 8%
John Kasich: 6%
Tom Cotton: 1%
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2016, 04:55:11 PM »

Can we not post schedules yet, please? I have something to say about the scheduling in a post I'm writing.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies