Judaism (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 06:42:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Judaism (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Judaism  (Read 57500 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« on: January 27, 2008, 09:01:41 PM »

Judaism belives that everyone's soul will spend eternity with God, so no, there is no Heaven and Hell per se, because everyone spends eternity in a heaven like place.

I've heard this explanation before...i guess I don't understand it...why would He have a chosen people...and why wouldHe allow vile souls (i'm not talking about debatable ones, I'm talking about the most vile people in human history) to have the same outcome?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 09:18:57 PM »

Judaism belives that everyone's soul will spend eternity with God, so no, there is no Heaven and Hell per se, because everyone spends eternity in a heaven like place.

I've heard this explanation before...i guess I don't understand it...why would He have a chosen people...and why wouldHe allow vile souls (i'm not talking about debatable ones, I'm talking about the most vile people in human history) to have the same outcome?

Sorry, but what exactly is the question?

Why would Hitler or Stalin spend eternity in heaven?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 09:52:09 PM »

Why don't you believe Jesus is the Messiah? He has all of the qualities of one.

That's a pretty loaded question.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 09:58:20 PM »

I mean that's what I don't get about Judaism...Christianity and Islam...say whatever else you'd like about them, you can kinda get why it pays to be a Christian (or in some circles, uphold the spirit of jesus taught even if you aren't one) or to be a Muslim (or as Xahar has pointed out, a reverant person of the book)...you get rewarded, and if you aren't, there are consequences...

as for Judaism, there doesn't seem, other than the cultural/nationalistic aspects, to be a reason why one should be jewish in faith as opposed to anything else...it seems everyone ends up in the same place, and even that God doesn't award perks to His people...

I might be totally off base, but thats what i've seen thus far from your explainations (and don't worry too much, I get similar explainations from my jewish friends.)

I think that God has had a different covenant with each people, which each people are (is?) expected to follow. If you're a Jew, not following Judaism is sinning?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 10:12:58 PM »

I have had a lot of contact with jews and jewish culture, I've always enjoyed it.

My grandmother is a bloodline jewess, but she was raised a lutheran and converted to Catholism.

I like the intellectual side of it, which is sorely lacking in Christianity. But I love ham/bacon/prescuito and seafood... and especially dislike the idea of a scalpel. So no deal.

Just FYI, the word Jewess is no longer in general usage.

I know, but it still gets used around the family.

Interesting. I felt like I was reading Mein Kampf.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 11:22:28 PM »

I have had a lot of contact with jews and jewish culture, I've always enjoyed it.

My grandmother is a bloodline jewess, but she was raised a lutheran and converted to Catholism.

I like the intellectual side of it, which is sorely lacking in Christianity. But I love ham/bacon/prescuito and seafood... and especially dislike the idea of a scalpel. So no deal.

Just FYI, the word Jewess is no longer in general usage.

I know, but it still gets used around the family.

Interesting. I felt like I was reading Mein Kampf.

I really think that you have to be looking to be offended to have assumed that.

Maybe if it was some stranger, but I think PolNut's mistake was honest.

Unfortunately, nobody notices when I exaggerate for humorous effect. Cry
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 11:44:41 PM »

I know what you mean. Wink
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 09:23:51 PM »

Keeping Kosher has been tough for me, but I still do it just because I know I would be letting my family down and would feel extremely guilty if I stopped.

Really? It shouldn't be too hard.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 04:48:14 PM »

But seriously though, what's the deal with the snippy snippy? That's genital mutilation of the unconsentable in my books.

And I don't have a problem with my lack of a foreskin. Smiley
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 05:12:40 PM »

But seriously though, what's the deal with the snippy snippy? That's genital mutilation of the unconsentable in my books.

Not to make the (inappropriate) comparison, but evidently many/most of the FGM-practicing Africans "don't have a problem" with it either.  That's the danger of ethical decisions made on personal/cultural preference.

Oh, of course. But there are plenty of worse things to combat.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 05:34:44 PM »

Not to make the (inappropriate) comparison, but evidently many/most of the FGM-practicing Africans "don't have a problem" with it either.  That's the danger of ethical decisions made on personal/cultural preference.

Oh, of course. But there are plenty of worse things to combat.

Depending on where your antecedent's going there, I might disagree strongly, or agree lukewarmly.  I'm going to assume you're not downplaying FGM, so it's probably the agree one.  Tongue

My opinion is that FGM is one of the greatest cultural horrors outside of genocide today.  It may not be the worst, but it's up there.  I think male circumcision and lesser forms of female genital cutting are unethical, but not at the same level.  That doesn't mean they should continue, but they probably shouldn't be the focus of limited resources.

Yeah, FGM is certainly a problem. I agree there.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 05:54:04 PM »

Of course, I'm not circumcised so I don't know the experience of having it done.

Very few people in the West do. I was 2 days old when I had it done.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 12:33:54 AM »

Circumcision would be an equivalent, no? Or at least, it would've. It's done too early for that purpose these days.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 12:49:03 AM »

LOL.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies