Mexican truckers to enter US interior within days
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 07:53:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mexican truckers to enter US interior within days
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Mexican truckers to enter US interior within days  (Read 1765 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2011, 12:11:06 PM »

This is more than a sallary of an assistant professor in many departments (especially, but not only, humanities) of an Ivy League school. And that assistant professor has a unique set of skills, had not earned anything till the age of 30 (it takes time to earn the doctorate)  and, chances are, will be fired in 6 to 7 years with uncertain job prospects - to avoid which fate s/he has to work a lot more than 40 hours/ week.

Eh, I know that kind of thing already. Of course academia (even in Ivy League land) isn't really even slightly typical of the sort of thing I was thinking of though.

I should hope you guys wouldn't use academia as a comparison - that is a world of nothing but pain, misery, overwork, dissatisfaction, doom, and despair.  Being an academic could be compared, perhaps, to being an untouchable in India, or a garbage picker in Lagos, but not to any other ordinary job.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2011, 04:28:19 PM »

This is more than a sallary of an assistant professor in many departments (especially, but not only, humanities) of an Ivy League school. And that assistant professor has a unique set of skills, had not earned anything till the age of 30 (it takes time to earn the doctorate)  and, chances are, will be fired in 6 to 7 years with uncertain job prospects - to avoid which fate s/he has to work a lot more than 40 hours/ week.

Eh, I know that kind of thing already. Of course academia (even in Ivy League land) isn't really even slightly typical of the sort of thing I was thinking of though.

I should hope you guys wouldn't use academia as a comparison - that is a world of nothing but pain, misery, overwork, dissatisfaction, doom, and despair.  Being an academic could be compared, perhaps, to being an untouchable in India, or a garbage picker in Lagos, but not to any other ordinary job.

I know that it's a tough job, but you're just trolling.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2011, 05:15:59 PM »

I know that it's a tough job, but you're just trolling.

No, I believe I was complaining.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2011, 05:25:08 PM »

claro.  dígalo al archibaldo. 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies