Interesting times in Poland... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 11:30:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Interesting times in Poland... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Interesting times in Poland...  (Read 4660 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« on: September 22, 2006, 01:48:38 AM »

Prime Minister Kaczynski has fired Lepper, meaning that the coalition is over. Unless Kaczynski can cobble together a new coalition in the next few days, fresh elections this autumn seem likely.

Hopefully Civic Platform takes the lead they seem like as sensible a lot as Poland can put out.

my opinion of them just lowered a bit when I saw that they consider making an alliance with the ex-communists, but I still support them.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 12:07:03 PM »

Prime Minister Kaczynski has fired Lepper, meaning that the coalition is over. Unless Kaczynski can cobble together a new coalition in the next few days, fresh elections this autumn seem likely.

Hopefully Civic Platform takes the lead they seem like as sensible a lot as Poland can put out.

my opinion of them just lowered a bit when I saw that they consider making an alliance with the ex-communists, but I still support them.

If they come first in the balloting, I believe it is indeed most likely the Civic Platform will go into alliance w/ the left. Other than the Civic Platform, the "ex-communists" are pretty much the most modern and pro-Western faction there.  I guess, after more than 15 years of democracy, certain reallignments are overdue: Poland's main divide these days is not "left vs. right" but "catholic nationalist vs. modern secular".

Who cares about moderinty and pro-westernism. THis makes me almost wish the ruling party wins again. I highly doubt the communists would let them adopt the flat tax they propose.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 12:32:54 PM »

Seeing as one of the main reasons why they managed to lose to PiS last time was their flat tax proposals...

That's just an extreme example. There are many other platform planks they would never be able to implement. I'd prefer a PiS-PO grand coalition.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies