PPP: Romney leads GOP field by single digits in both IL and PA (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 02:44:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  PPP: Romney leads GOP field by single digits in both IL and PA (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PPP: Romney leads GOP field by single digits in both IL and PA  (Read 1226 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: April 09, 2010, 10:57:45 PM »

http://publicpolicypolling.blogspot.com/2010/04/romney-up-in-illinois-and-pennsylvania.html

Illinois:
Romney 34%
Huckabee 28%
Palin 24%

Pennsylvania:
Romney 31%
Huckabee 27%
Palin 27%

Romney's base continues to be the olds:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 07:53:52 AM »

I'd also intuit the elderly are even more inclined to follow name recognition than other demos.  Maybe that's not true, but it fits nicely with my stereotype of them as not liking anything new. I'd say Romney's strength with the elderly is stable.

I don't think it's as much name recognition as it is experience and perceived competence.  I could imagine olds, for example, going with Daniels if he managed to become a serious contender.  That is, of course, contingent on Daniels actually running.

Also, keep in mind that while olds are the most socially conservative age group in the general population, it's slightly more complicated when you restrict yourself to GOP primary voters.  The olds in the GOP include people who were around back when folks like Nelson Rockefeller were in the party.  That's why I'm not at all surprised that they're not so keen on Huckabee and Palin.  Huckabee and Palin are not your grandpa's GOP.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies