Fight on FOX News over Obama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 03:32:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Fight on FOX News over Obama
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fight on FOX News over Obama  (Read 1361 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 24, 2008, 10:40:42 AM »

Man, I miss all the fun.

"Dissension Arises at Fox News Over Treatment of Obama"

Critics of the Fox News Channel regularly complain that the network beats up on Democrats and takes comments out of context. Usually, though, those critics are not Fox anchors.

On Friday Chris Wallace, host of the weekend political talk show “Fox News Sunday,” took the hosts of “Fox & Friends” to task for their conversations about Senator Barack Obama’s comments about race. His complaint — which created both a tense moment and some must-see TV — was that his colleagues were taking those comments out of context.

On Tuesday, in a speech that dominated the week’s news, Mr. Obama referred his white grandmother, saying that she had felt nervous passing black men on the street. On Thursday, while trying to clarify his remarks, he called his grandmother a “typical white person.”

On Friday, the “Fox & Friends” hosts questioned whether Mr. Obama’s remarks about his grandmother had been offensive — a process that involved playing the “typical white person” quote over and over again — and two of the three hosts seemed to say that they were. Mr. Wallace came on during the third hour of the program to say that the hosts had too often clipped the quote and played it in isolation.

“It seems to me that two hours of Obama-bashing on this ‘typical white person’ remark is somewhat excessive, and frankly I think you’re somewhat distorting what Obama had to say,” Mr. Wallace said during his regularly scheduled segment on the normally lighthearted morning show.

At the end of the segment, Mr. Wallace tried to change the mood by saying, “Thanks guys, I still love you.” But the host, Steve Doocy, acted genuinely annoyed at being chastised, and told Mr. Wallace that if he still loved them, he had “an odd way of showing it.”

The fuss started well before Mr. Wallace’s comments. Brian Kilmeade, a host of “Fox & Friends,” had walked off the set amid a heated exchange about Mr. Obama’s comments.

(skipping)

So maybe Mr. Wallace will finally land an interview with Mr. Obama? On March 16 Mr. Wallace introduced “The Obama Watch,” a countdown clock borrowed from the Fox drama “24” (complete with the tick-tock noise) that displayed the number of days, hours, minutes and seconds elapsed since Mr. Obama had apparently promised to appear on “Fox News Sunday.”
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 10:44:44 AM »

You have to give Chris Wallace credit for this one.

Actually he has a history of spurts where he's more independently minded than many of his fellow hosts and anchors on the channel.
Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 10:46:17 AM »

Chris Wallace is a Democrat.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 10:47:05 AM »

Video link?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 10:48:48 AM »

obviously wallace is a hand wringer.

fox just hasnt gotten the memo that obama is our savior.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 10:49:30 AM »

Awesome! NY Times also has the same article ran a month or so ago about McCain leaving the GOP! My favorite tabloid newspaper does it again!
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 10:51:28 AM »

Is this where the guy walks off set all dramatic and such? It wasnt that great...and its FOX news being FOX news...not surprising at all.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 10:53:53 AM »

lol
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 11:00:06 AM »

Registered Democrat his entire adult life, no less.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 11:02:07 AM »
« Edited: March 24, 2008, 11:15:25 AM by Tik »

Okay.

"The reason I'm a registered Democrat is that in Washington, D.C., there is really only one party," Wallace told us yesterday. "If you want a say in who's going to be the next mayor or councilman, you have to vote in the Democratic primary." ... Wallace is a regular at his local polling place, and says he's voted for members of both parties.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/10/AR2006101001509.html (WaPo Oct 11, 2006)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 11:17:25 AM »

Oh, kinda like Zell Miller?
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 11:22:08 AM »

I don't know if Zell Miller would ever come to Barack Obama's defense. 
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 11:23:29 AM »

So is Bob Novak. As the Ohio poster pointed out, it's the only way to have a say in local elections.

Most people here aren't dumb. Why talk this way to us?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 11:26:13 AM »

The important motivation here is that Obama is boycotting Fox News, which is seeing its ratings slide, and Chris Wallace would surely love to be the guy who gets nominee or even President-elect Obama on to the network for an exclusive interview.

I'm sure he was sincere in his views, but I imagine this would motivate him to act on them and actually confront some of his bobblehead colleagues on Fox News. In the long run, it's good for Fox News to not be shut out.
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 11:33:30 AM »

So is Bob Novak. As the Ohio poster pointed out, it's the only way to have a say in local elections.

Most people here aren't dumb. Why talk this way to us?

Bob Novak and Chris Wallace are media creations.  They will say and hold views the network bosses tell them to, and argue their talking points in ways that give them the most ratings.   
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2008, 11:45:18 AM »

Bob Novak and Chris Wallace are media creations.  They will say and hold views the network bosses tell them to, and argue their talking points in ways that give them the most ratings.   

It's odd how you're trying to "educate" us on this when, mere posts ago, you were incorrectly assuming he was beholden to the Democratic Party because he was registered as a Dem in D.C...
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2008, 11:52:44 AM »

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/03/21/chris-wallace-on-fox-and-friends-i-heard-enough-obama-bashing/
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2008, 11:57:21 AM »

Michael.DC would have a little more credibility if he hadn't voted for Barack Obama in the Virginia primary.
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 12:04:06 PM »

It's odd how you're trying to "educate" us on this when, mere posts ago, you were incorrectly assuming he was beholden to the Democratic Party because he was registered as a Dem in D.C...

It's odd that you have a severe reading comprehension problem. 

*shrugs shoulders*  Its not that I care about Chris Wallace anyway, I'm neither defending nor rebuking him, I'm just pointing out his political affiliation.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2008, 12:06:02 PM »
« Edited: March 24, 2008, 12:10:53 PM by Alcon »

It's odd that you have a severe reading comprehension problem. 

*shrugs shoulders*  Its not that I care about Chris Wallace anyway, I'm neither defending nor rebuking him, I'm just pointing out his political affiliation.

What "severe reading comprehension problem" do I have, per se?  The one where I assume "Chris Wallace is a Democrat" is supposed to imply that Wallace made this comment because he is a Democrat?

Firstly, I'm not sure how that relates to reading comprehension.  Secondly, I'm not sure what else your comment was possibly intended to mean.

Please educate me.
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2008, 12:09:05 PM »

If you don't like Fox going off on Rev Wright, you can always go over to MSNBC and listen to Chrissy Mathews gush over Obama.  He and Obama ought to get a room.
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2008, 12:13:34 PM »

I never said Wallace was beholden to the Democratic Party, but the fact that he has been a registered Democrat his entire life (a minority amongst Fox News anchors, no doubt) would accout for the instances he would take a particulary strong stance against the views of his fellow Fox talking heads.   That's all.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2008, 12:16:49 PM »

I never said Wallace was beholden to the Democratic Party, but the fact that he has been a registered Democrat his entire life (a minority amongst Fox News anchors, no doubt) would accout for the instances he would take a particulary strong stance against the views of his fellow Fox talking heads.   That's all.

Which has what to do with my failure to read what you said?

You advanced the view you just advanced again.  Someone else linked to a quote where Wallace claimed to be a swing voter, registered as a Democrat in D.C. only because he wanted to vote in local races.  Then, you moved on to a different theory.  I pointed out that you don't have much position to do this when you don't much understand the situation in the first place.

What does all of this have to do with reading comprehension?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies