Official Discussion Thread for President Obama's Jobs Speech (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 10:42:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Official Discussion Thread for President Obama's Jobs Speech (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Official Discussion Thread for President Obama's Jobs Speech  (Read 6492 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« on: September 08, 2011, 06:25:48 PM »
« edited: September 08, 2011, 06:28:02 PM by Ronald Reagan, the Wicked Witch of the West »

Is Ryan sleeping? Mainly good ideas, but how will we pay for it? Infrastructure and schools warms the cockles of my heart.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 06:29:28 PM »

Is Ryan sleeping. Mainly good ideas, but how will we pay for it? Infrastructure and schools warms the cockles of my heart.

He already said: Congress should pay for it by making additional cuts to account for it.

He did? I stopped watching in the middle, work to do. Well I really can't think of much else wrong with it. $450 billion in tax cuts and new spending? I need to see the breakdown, but I see no fault in it. Nor do I see it making much of a dent in the unemployment rate. .5%, maybe.

EDIT: 1/2 is tax cuts. $225 billion is something I can live with.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 06:32:56 PM »

Obama calling for passing new free trade bills now...

What? Will he take of a mask and be revealed to be Jon Huntsman or Mitt Romney at the end? I can tell you now, if one of those two aren't the GOP candidate in 2012, I'm voting for this guy.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 06:35:18 PM »

Is Ryan sleeping? Mainly good ideas, but how will we pay for it? Infrastructure and schools warms the cockles of my heart.
I like the ideas, but how are going to pay for it? He is lowering taxes on the middle, and raising on the top, which I do support, but he is not going to cut spending. He wont withdrawl us from Afghanistan. He wont cut foreign aid and our unfair alliance with Israel. I like his ideas, here, why not add Tariffs. Why not end our wars and alliances. Why not leave NAFTA. These ideas are great, but we cant pay for them without alot of cuts in defense, and social programs. This is a well worded speech demanding more stimulus basically.

Tariffs would start a trade war that could drive us back down into a deep recession or depression.

Tariffs? What kind of free-trader are you, Sanchez? Tongue We need to actually be able to compete, and not live on an artificial high.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 06:37:51 PM »

"That's how we can be #1 again."

...I wasn't aware that we weren't...
China passed the US in manufacturing output this year

They've been ahead of us for some... wait, total output!? I thought we were way ahead!
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 06:42:40 PM »

"That's how we can be #1 again."

...I wasn't aware that we weren't...
China passed the US in manufacturing output this year

Ah.  But I doubt that's the context, as growing faster than China is not an attainable goal.

GDP? No. Manufacturing? It grew at around 8% last year and 17% in China. It's possible.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 06:46:18 PM »

Well it seemed solid, good ideas, and now I think the only possible problem one could find with it is the Ron Paul approach of the immorality of government.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 07:25:13 PM »

I can agree with that assessment. Strategic brilliance.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies