JacksonHitchcock for Atlasian House
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 05:13:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: JacksonHitchcock for Atlasian House  (Read 1040 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2019, 09:21:29 AM »
« edited: May 29, 2019, 09:28:28 AM by Lumine »

Whilst I wouldn't support that specific model, I do believe simulated elections (unacceptable as they are to so many players) would not only shake up the game in a positive direction, but it would be sort of reform that far from being cosmetic would actually address a lot of problems in the nature of the game itself as it has been played over the years.

I won't expand too much out of respect to the candidate's thread, but some of the biggest problems with Atlasia are the general lack of consequences for actions, the predominance of cliques and zombie voters (which empower the select few who have mastered the dark arts) and the subsequent lack of impact from much of the effort that many players put into the game (which turns to dust if you haven't got the IRC/Discord/so on machine behind you). That means some people protected by such cliques or machines have to really screw up (as in do something horrific) in order to face any real consequences by the electorate, and even if if they do so it doesn't take long for friends to bail them out.

By removing that part of the equation with a simulated model which accounts for bonuses, penalties, turnout, demographics and so not only there's the potential for a stronger GM Team (thus empowering the simulation aspect of the game), it becomes possible for a wider number of players to succeed even without the "right connections", greater emphasis is placed on campaigns, policies and messaging, and the game itself becomes less beholden to the stagnation we see as party or personal machines keep themselves in power for enormous amounts of time.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2019, 09:26:34 AM »

That aside, I do think people shouldn't scaremonger about simulated elections, or punish a candidate for at least bringing it up for debate (it's not like JacksonHitchcock is about to rule by decree and change the system overnight). At the very least, it's a positive thing that there's people willing to rethink whether the current model really works as it should after 15 years, or whether there's potential in moving in different directions.

So kudos for this, good sir. I shall follow your campaign with great interest.

PS: Almost tempted to see a region trying the model to see how it works!
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2019, 10:16:36 AM »

Keep Atlasia on the attack vote for Jack

Preface
I expected some backlash, but I didn't expect this level. It is just a proposal I thought some of you would approve, but it seems like the opposite of that has happened. I will be posting why I think it is a good idea, and how I respond to these criticisms. This was just a proposal and with the backlash that it is received, it will not be apart of my future campaigns, or actions in Congress. I would like to thank many of you for responding to this campaign proposal with your criticisms of it.

So, your first campaign proposal is taking away our right to vote? I see we are off to a good start.

The point is not taking away one's right to a Democratic voice, but it is working towards limiting toxicity and would hopefully help stop some of the pointless bickering that we see all too often in Atlasia over petty things. Shouldn't we give a new system a chance, as it will help lessen the bickering and toxicity in the community? It will also allow for personal machines to be broken up and as Lumine put forth the idea, it will allow for those new players who are active to have a chance against an established campaigner and politician, but still give that person an advantage from the onset. It will allow for a more democratic Atlasia in the end then we have now which is dominated by machine politics, and zombie voters.  

Was going to give you highest non-fed preference but not anymore.

Ninja, I'm sorry we can't see eye to eye on this and I hope we can reconcile on a later date, good luck with your future plans!  

I was thinking about endorsing this campaign, but taking away individual voting rights kind of defeats the purpose of the entire game.

Scott, as I said to Ninja what you decide, is your decision. While this isn't necessarily taking away voting rights, it does lessen the electoral importance of personal popularity compared to that of political popularity. Now that I see the backlash this proposal has gotten from some of the communities leading members, I won't continue to put forward the idea. However, I do think this is something we could do to lower the amount of arugments and pettiness among our community. It will also work to weaken the machine politics of the simulation while empowering newer members who can win if they produce quality content, and campaign effectively not to mention the fact it replaces any reason to create a sock account.

Nope, not even going to bother preffing you at all now.

Fhtagn, while I don't think this is something we'll see eye to eye on you're a respectable legislator, and I think you've made a great member of Congress. I'm sorry that you see this as a reason to disqualify me from your voting list, but I hope we can reconcile this if we do indeed serve in the House together.

Now, I will note, the concept of GM simulated elections is one that I have heard floated around by certain reform-minded users. It’s not an idea that I personally support, as I think it damages the fabric of the game too much, changing part of what makes it unique and what makes it appealing to the most involved players, and thus decreases the game’s longevity (look at the Elections Games board, where games are sporadic and often don’t last long).

That being said, it may still be an idea worth discussion and debate. Looking forward to hearing your arguments for this.

DeeplyDisturbing, thanks for the input and I do understand some of your concerns. As Lumine has pointed out this will break the backs of the political machines within the community, and wipe out the effect of "Zombie" voters on our elections. My main personal basis is it will lower the number of personal arguments, pettiness, and other things that lead to a more toxic community. So coupling with it being easier for new members to join by destroying the "political machines" of the game as well as increasing the retention of older members, because of it being a less toxic environment.

Withdrawing my endorsement

Until you clarify why you are taking away the right to vote, which is the main point of the game

CSNJC I realize your concerns, but if you look at my reasoning to the other users on this thread, I think you'll see my reasoning to the reform.

The formula could be hacked to the detriment of new players. Ive had like 5 titles and helped write like 150 laws. Under your formula would I really get a +160 (or higher) modifier every time I run for election?

Mr.Reactionary, in the original post it was mentioned (or should have been) the modifiers only pertain to the next election. For the office modifier, it will only account for the most recent office held. I do see your reasoning on how this could be abused, but I firmly believe this system would provide a positive to new players instead of the negative you see.

Yeah, I gotta say that that proposal defeats the whole point of how this works...

MB, I have laid out the reason's I support this earlier, and I will not be proposing this to Congress. This is an improvement to the game I think we can make that will benefit the community as a whole.

An interesting idea, to be sure - and one that has been suggested multiple times before - but Atlasia at its core is designed to be an elections simulator above all else. While this proposal would adhere to that in the truest sense of the phrase, it would also arguably defeat the primary and original purpose for people to participate in the game.

I disagree, Griff, I think it will serve to allow new members a better chance to get involved in the elections. It would also make active campaigns a bigger deal, and focus more on policy, and messaging then the game does now. It will allow for new active campaigners/legislators to have an advantage against someone who while personally popular doesn't campaign or produce legislation.  

I agree with everyone here. That proposal would defeat the purpose of Atlasia and what makes it unique compared to other (larger!) government simulators

If the purpose of Atlasia is to win elections, then there are some people who are much, much better than others. We have too many cults of personality and political machines as Lumine mentioned. It will also cut down on the amount of toxicity and pettiness. I have been in many games like Atlasia, most of them use similar methods to that of Atlasia, so I wouldn't say we're unique in that way.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2019, 10:22:57 AM »
« Edited: May 29, 2019, 10:27:22 AM by Justice Blair »

Looks like I’m running for office again under that system!

Really though it’s an idea suited to the game board- it completely ends any interaction or campaigning.  The most fun part of Atlasia is building up the relationships naturally and rewarding hard work- this system gives old timers like me a huge advantage based on offices I won four years ago!
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2019, 10:33:48 AM »

Looks like I’m running for office again under that system!

Really though it’s an idea suited to the game board- it completely ends any interaction or campaigning.  The most fun part of Atlasia is building up the relationships naturally and rewarding hard work- this system gives old timers like me a huge advantage based on offices I won four years ago!

See above for the reasoning where you would only receive the bonus for the most recently held position, as well as the legislation you propose only effects the next election that happens. 
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2019, 04:30:21 PM »

Preface
Hello all and welcome to my second policy proposal for this campaign. As I have a statement on the Presidential election, I will be remaining neutral in the race between YoungTexan and Griff as both are good friends and would make good Presidents. So I will not endorse in the Presidential election at this time. I am also done with exams and heading onto summer break this Saturday, which can realistically expect an activity bump from that.

Campaign Proposal 2- Healthcare
The next key proposal of my campaign will be that of healthcare. My main plans include protecting the public option, as I believe it is the best way to ensure more Americans have healthcare than any other plan that could be realistically bipartisan. It also allows for millions of Americans who would previously not have access to healthcare the chance to receive it. The main statue of my healthcare policy is an end to surprise billing, which is when a patient receives care from an out of network physician or at an out of network provider and is charged for the cost as the insurance company defers. Below I will show the five key points to curb this practice I will be proposing in Congress, this is based off pieces of legislation from Texas.

• Insurers must maintain an adequate network of physicians and providers
  • Patients can initiate mediation for surprise bills over $500
  • Insurers must have current online network directories of physicians and other providers in the network and must be updated monthly
  • Insurers must disclosure to the patient the network status of all providers of care

To couple this effort to end surprise billing, I am proposing an effort to lower the amount of time people are in the hospitals as well. This includes investing $1 billion a year into Anti-smoking campaigns and $2 billion a year into safe injection sites in America's major cities. Below I will list with bullets the benefits of decriminalizing drug use.

• They need to be helped not punished. We should be sending them to rehab, not prison. Invest $50 billion into the rehabilitation of drug addicts over a 5 year period.
  • Decriminalize all schedule I and schedule II drugs, they're making the choice to use these drugs and putting them in prison for victimless crimes will hurt no one, but the cartels.
  • Promote community mental health counseling and safe injection sites in America's major cities. Let the government negotiate the price of naloxone, and make it cheaper for people to buy, every life matters.

Finally, we will focus on rural healthcare initiatives where we can look towards helping people in areas where there is a lack of healthcare we can big this by forgiving the student loan debt of doctors who choose to work in these lower income more rural areas for 10 years.* We can also give grants to local communities to build more community health centers, and fight against mental health problems which are very prevalent in these rural areas. We need to focus on bringing back an Atlasia where it was safe, secure, and responsible. As your Representative to the Federal House, I promise to be a voice for all of the people of this nation, not just those in Fremont, but all Atlasians. As President Lincoln quoted Mark 3:25, "A house divided against itself cannot stand."

Definiton of Surprise Billing
Surprise billing, by any other name, is a perhaps unexpected bill from an out-of-network provider for an amount unpaid by the insurer. Frequently referred to as “balance billing,” surprise billing occurs when a patient receives medical or healthcare services by a physician or provider who is not in the patient’s insurance network.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2019, 07:16:07 PM »

Preface
Hello all and welcome to my second policy proposal for this campaign. As I have a statement on the Presidential election, I will be remaining neutral in the race between YoungTexan and Griff as both are good friends and would make good Presidents. So I will not endorse in the Presidential election at this time. I am also done with exams and heading onto summer break this Saturday, which can realistically expect an activity bump from that.

Now this reminds me of my first Senate campaign Tongue
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2019, 05:27:05 PM »

Preface
Hello all and welcome to my third policy proposal for this campaign. First, I have a major announcement to make about this campaign, while I have been a career member of the Labor Party and am still someone who is proud to stand up for many of the values that the Labor Party exemplifies, I will not be seeking this seat in the Federal House with Labor, as I have been informed by the chairman of the Labor Party Jimmy7812 that the Labor side. I will be running for the federal house as an Independent, but if elected I will caucusing with Labor Party most likely.

Campaign Proposal 3- Trade
Without further interruption, my views on Trade are as follows, Free Trade is a major driver of economic growth and it is a near consensus by economists with an IGMFourm survey asking "Freer trade improves productive efficiency and offers consumers better choices, and in the long run these gains are much larger than any effects on employment." in response economists agreed, 37% strongly agree with the statement, 57% agree with the statement, and 2% undecided on the statement.

On another question from the same IGMFourm, "On average, citizens of the U.S. have been better off with the North American Free Trade Agreement than they would have been if the trade rules for the Atlasia, Canada, and Mexico prior to NAFTA had remained in place." The economists once again backed free trade by staggering margins 31% strongly agree, 67% agree, and 2% undecided with the statement. Consider this, the same majority of Economists agree that Free Trade is a positive factor for Americans, as the number of scientists agree that man-made climate change exists.

Renowned Economist Paul Krugman puts forward three ideas onto why people are against free trade 1) opposition to free trade is intellectually fashionable, 2) comparative advantage is hard to understand, and 3) they are averse to a fundamentally mathematical understanding of the world. Even Robert Reich agrees that free trade is a major factor in economic growth saying, "Globalization and free trade do spur economic growth, and they lead to lower prices on many goods."

In 1930's lawmakers thought protectionist ideas were the ones that would help the American economy out of the slump it was in, they passed legislation now known as Smoot-Hawley. That legislation further lead to the destruction of Atlasian jobs, and millions of Atlasians losing their homes and their ways of life. To contrast, when the North American Free Trade Agreement was passed in the 1990's it lead to unprecedented growth in the United States, with millions of new jobs being created and a massive increase in revenue leading to a balanced budget for the first time in decades. 

In the Federal House, I will propose legislation that opens up our nation to cheap goods, because that is good for everyday, hardworking, and patriotic Atlasians in Fremont and across our nation. I want to expand access to cheap goods for our working class, and middle class, because that will make life easier for us all. I understand that many of you do not agree with me on this issue, but if you read through the sources I have provided, and you look at the facts I think you will see. Instead of pandering to a few thousand Americans in the rust belt, a few million Atlasians know and see clearly that free trade leads to a stronger economy and a stronger Atlasia.

Cited Sources:

http://www.igmchicago.org/surveys/free-trade
http://web.mit.edu/krugman/www/ricardo.htm
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2019, 05:18:06 PM »

I will be inactive for the next 2 days as I will be in Chicago tomorrow to see the Cubs v. Rockies at Wrigley and then I will be in Milwaukee on Friday. 
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2019, 09:47:19 PM »

Endorsed. More detailed bread and butter policy planks would get the upgrade of an A.C.L.O. endorsement.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2019, 04:08:15 PM »

Well... I guess if we get enough 6th preferences we'll win! lol. I'd like to thank everyone who has preferenced me because it really means something to me. I really want to serve Atlasia in Federal House and I really hope I can win your vote for those who haven't voted yet.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies