Nicaragua and diplomatic recognition (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 02:19:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Nicaragua and diplomatic recognition (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nicaragua and diplomatic recognition  (Read 994 times)
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: July 26, 2009, 11:25:11 PM »

Am I the only one who finds it odd that Nicaragua recognizes Abkhazia, South Ossetia, AND Taiwan? Do they just really like separatism or what? I know Taiwan gives them a fair amount of economic aid and favorable trade agreements; has Russia done the same in exchange for recognizing Abkhazia and South Ossetia?

In addition, Presidents Ma and Ortega have each visited each others' countries since they came to power, and Ortega has vehemently denied reports that he attempted to switched recognition to Beijing, despite the fact that he did so back when he was first in power in the 80s.

But Abkhazia and South Ossetia is just odd. Nobody else besides Russia, not even Belarus, has recognized them. Not even Cuba and Venezuela, both of which issued ambiguous statements supportive of Russia but failed to grant formal recognition.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 01:37:48 AM »

One wonders why they haven't recognized Somaliland as an independent country.

Somaliland has no power.

They also haven't recognized Transnisteria, though Russia hasn't actually recognized it either.

Regarding Somaliland, I really have to wonder why NOBODY has recognized it, despite the fact that it's relatively stable and prosperous, and the consequences of recognizing it would probably be fairly minor.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies