NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 01:57:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread  (Read 128511 times)
coloradocowboi
United States

« on: September 05, 2020, 09:24:52 AM »

Corey Johnson! Corey Johnson! Corey Johnson!

He pissed off the left and the center by demanding that the NYPD be defunded and then refusing to do it. If I were him, I wouldn't even run.

I'm surprised to see barely any mention of Maya Wiley on this thread. Her history with de Blasio may be a headache but she is a compelling figure who could probably develop wide appeal.

This is the frontrunner IMO. We know they will have to be well left-of-center and popular with POC, and if she can overcome the DSA crowd's suspicion of her ties to de Blasio, I think she's a lock. But that's a big if.

AOC would do great, but she's gonna stay in the House for a while I think. Williams is obviously (and if there is a God successfully) going to challenge Cuomo in the gubernatorial primary. The only other two Democrats I could see making a successful run are Shaun Donovan (which would kinda suck tbh) and Scott Stringer (but I don't think it's likely with Wiley in the race)
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 09:02:24 PM »

Apparently Yang said some weird sh**t at a gay Democratic club where he sounded like a high school girl who’s really into her GBF. Who care but it’s in the New York Times.

This is actually a very bad thing to happen to him, because he probably had the gay vote before this (he's a celebrity) and this will def lose that. Not a huge chunk of the electorate, and we aren't talking about most LGBTQS who lean far left and probably wouldn't vote for him anyway, but he's done for in chelsea and hells kitchen 
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 07:52:58 PM »

Maya Wiley annoys me for many reasons but the one that stood out to me most in last night's debate was the statement that subway assaults and rapes are up because people are "mentally ill" and in need of help from "crisis response teams" that will meet their "human needs."

The mental contortions that some of these people will go through to ignore any need for more policing are unbelievable.

Increasing policing has an absolute net zero effect on resolving rape charges. In fact, of the rapes that get reported to the cops, only about 8% are ever resolved. 13% of rape victims say that they don't go to the cops because they don't trust them. And in any given year between 300 and 500 sexual assaults are committed by police officers. So, no "more policing" is not what rape victims need.

What do they need? Greater economic opportunity for women and LGBTQ people, legislation to prevent landlord harassment of renters (yes, landlord rape is common), more funding for social services beyond the police (which Maya is actually right about), and even an end to fraternities and sororities loooong before they need more money for the inept and incompetent cops. Not to mention an end to rape culture, the "grab them by the p****" mentality, chauvinism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, misogyny and the whole 9 yards. Transgender women are statistically the most likely demographic group to get raped, and yet all the GOP has ever done for them is force them to use the bathrooms and prisons that they are mosts likely to get raped in. So, please, conservatives, don't bring up rape because you're not on the right side of this issue.

And frankly, as a rape survivor, I really don't appreciate using what is one of the worst thingss a person can go through as a f-ing canard for militarism and fascism.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies