Canada 2011 Official Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 01:59:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada 2011 Official Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 48
Author Topic: Canada 2011 Official Thread  (Read 135650 times)
Foucaulf
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #825 on: April 29, 2011, 08:39:57 PM »

The NDP smear campaign continues... something about Jack being caught naked in a massage parlour in 1996.... the media is grasping at straws...

This will only help him in Quebec Cheesy

Ratings or not, Sun News is beginning its corrosive effects on politics. Anonymous source leaks to channel that Layton was naked in a massage parlour? This is less Fox as it is News of the World, except they spent ten minutes talking about it.

But the media taketh and it giveth. Globe columnist Ibbitson claims the Toronto Star will endorse the NDP.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #826 on: April 29, 2011, 08:48:29 PM »

Ratings or not, Sun News is beginning its corrosive effects on politics. Anonymous source leaks to channel that Layton was naked in a massage parlour? This is less Fox as it is News of the World, except they spent ten minutes talking about it.

Well, Layton's wife confirms the story was true, so Sun News' story is correct.

It is about time Canada got themselves a news channel that's not unabashedly leftist.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #827 on: April 29, 2011, 08:51:29 PM »

lol
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #828 on: April 29, 2011, 08:59:36 PM »

Sun News Video of the TV version of the story, FWIW:
http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/924574695001
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #829 on: April 29, 2011, 09:01:24 PM »

Maybe I'm just being a worrywart, but I have a really bad feeling about this whole thing.
Foucaulf
« Reply #830 on: April 29, 2011, 09:18:07 PM »

Well, Layton's wife confirms the story was true, so Sun News' story is correct.

It is about time Canada got themselves a news channel that's not unabashedly leftist.

All Chow admitted was that Layton was found in a massage parlour by the police, and released without charges. Nothing about Layton being naked, or the Chinese masseuse, or wet Kleenex thrown into the trash.

It's yellow journalism overall. The news is advertised as "Layton found in bawdy house" when nobody has proof that it was a brothel. I have doubts that it is even legal for a policeman to reveal these confidential matters. Until a journalist can contact the TPS, this ranges on the absurd.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #831 on: April 29, 2011, 09:18:27 PM »

Attacks like these have been rare in Canadian elections compared to the US, I can't see it working... similar to how Aqua Buddha backfired in Kentucky, for example.

Ha. ok.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #832 on: April 29, 2011, 09:24:28 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2011, 09:34:46 PM by Comrade Sibboleth »

What else would you expect from the gutter 'press'? Something like this was always likely at some point - that's just the way these things work, as disgusting as that might be. They'll have been trying to dig up something as soon as the NDP's poll numbers went through the roof nationally.

Edit: deleted 'contemporary' after remembering stuff from the 1970s.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #833 on: April 29, 2011, 09:34:19 PM »

What else would you expect from the contemporary gutter 'press'? Something like this was always likely at some point - that's just the way these things work, as disgusting as that might be. They'll have been trying to dig up something as soon as the NDP's poll numbers went through the roof nationally.

I think you're giving journalists far too much credit.  They're generally a lazy bunch who are fed information for their stories.   I'd be shocked if the tip ultimately didn't come from the opposition research team of one of the three other parties, directly or indirectly.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #834 on: April 29, 2011, 09:50:14 PM »

I think you're giving journalists far too much credit.  They're generally a lazy bunch who are fed information for their stories.   I'd be shocked if the tip ultimately didn't come from the opposition research team of one of the three other parties, directly or indirectly.

All such people were included in the 'they'. It's a wonderful word for the left-wing and bitter/paranoid.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #835 on: April 29, 2011, 09:52:03 PM »

From the Toronto Star article and posted without comment:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #836 on: April 29, 2011, 09:56:31 PM »

All Chow admitted was that Layton was found in a massage parlour by the police, and released without charges. Nothing about Layton being naked, or the Chinese masseuse, or wet Kleenex thrown into the trash.

It's yellow journalism overall. The news is advertised as "Layton found in bawdy house" when nobody has proof that it was a brothel. I have doubts that it is even legal for a policeman to reveal these confidential matters. Until a journalist can contact the TPS, this ranges on the absurd.

I don't think there's any dispute the massage parlor was allegedly being used as a brothel at time - even Chow said her husband was surprised to hear the allegations.  And I doubt Sun News would characterize it as a bawdy house unless there were some arrests made at that location - Canadian libel laws are far too tilted in favor of those allegedly defamed for even the press and Sun could easily get sued over it.

I also doubt there's any dispute that the masseuse was Chinese.  Sun News has zero reason to lie about that - nor is it particularly relevant in the grand scheme of things.  

Much of the rest of Sun News' report apparently comes directly from the notes of the police officer who spoke with Layton at the time.  Why would he have lied about things in those notes, exactly?   Now, Layton might have a different recollection or no recollection about the specifics of the situation at all, but I don't think Sun News is just making stuff up.

At the end of the day, how the NDP handles this will tell us a lot about whether they are fit to govern.  So far, they seem to be on top of things and fighting back properly.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #837 on: April 29, 2011, 10:07:18 PM »

I don't think there's any dispute the massage parlor was allegedly being used as a brothel at time - even Chow said her husband was surprised to hear the allegations.  And I doubt Sun News would characterize it as a bawdy house unless there were some arrests made at that location - Canadian libel laws are far too tilted in favor of those allegedly defamed for even the press and Sun could easily get sued over it.

I also doubt there's any dispute that the masseuse was Chinese.  Sun News has zero reason to lie about that - nor is it particularly relevant in the grand scheme of things.  

Much of the rest of Sun News' report apparently comes directly from the notes of the police officer who spoke with Layton at the time.  Why would he have lied about things in those notes, exactly?   Now, Layton might have a different recollection or no recollection about the specifics of the situation at all, but I don't think Sun News is just making stuff up.

At the end of the day, how the NDP handles this will tell us a lot about whether they are fit to govern.  So far, they seem to be on top of things and fighting back properly.

The police officer admitted that the Toronto police were pissed off at Layton at the time for his policies on the City Council. I'm not saying he's lying, but even he admitted bias. 
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #838 on: April 29, 2011, 10:43:23 PM »

Layton is even more of a FF if this is true.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #839 on: April 29, 2011, 10:44:21 PM »

The Sun has been attacking Ignatieff for some time about a lot of preposterous things, now they have decided to attack Layton.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #840 on: April 29, 2011, 10:59:07 PM »

Some more riding polls:

Pontiac: It can now be confirmed that the NDP is in the lead there, 39-33. Interestingly, Cannon hasn't lost any support.

Churchill River: Tories are in the lead here, 57-35 over the NDP. So much for my thoughts...

Juan de Fuca: Tories are ahead here 40-35 over the NDP in this open seat.

Nunavut: Tories lead the Liberals 71-20.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #841 on: April 29, 2011, 11:09:57 PM »

There were a few others released with that batch, including one that has André Arthur up by 6: http://www.huffstrategy.com/MediaManager/release/ProjectDemocracy/29-4-11/ProjectDemocracy-releases-new-riding-specific-polling/2220.html
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #842 on: April 29, 2011, 11:14:08 PM »

Interesting how in just a few days the race in Charlesbourg went from Cons vs. NDP to BQ vs. NDP.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #843 on: April 29, 2011, 11:35:51 PM »

Some more riding polls:

Pontiac: It can now be confirmed that the NDP is in the lead there, 39-33. Interestingly, Cannon hasn't lost any support.

Churchill River: Tories are in the lead here, 57-35 over the NDP. So much for my thoughts...

Are these new?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #844 on: April 29, 2011, 11:38:46 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2011, 11:42:33 PM by cinyc »

Interesting how in just a few days the race in Charlesbourg went from Cons vs. NDP to BQ vs. NDP.

Caveat emptor on these riding polls.  Were the Charlesbourg polls even by the same pollster?

The MoE on the most recent set of polls is so high (+/-4.9%) that everyone but the Liberals are still in the race in Charlesbourg.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #845 on: April 29, 2011, 11:49:57 PM »

Some more riding polls:

Are these new?

Yes. They were done the 2 days following the previous batch of riding polls.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #846 on: April 29, 2011, 11:51:26 PM »

I think it's safe to say that all 5 Quebec City seats are in play for the NDP, and they are so close that it will probably be all or none.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #847 on: April 30, 2011, 12:03:12 AM »

Next up on Sun News: Is Layton really born in Montreal? Where is his birth certificate? Stay tuned.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #848 on: April 30, 2011, 12:04:44 AM »

I think it's safe to say that all 5 Quebec City seats are in play for the NDP, and they are so close that it will probably be all or none.

Yes, the seats are in play, but I don't think it will necessarily be all or none.  A split is certainly possible.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #849 on: April 30, 2011, 12:13:04 AM »

Next up on Sun News: Is Layton really born in Montreal? Where is his birth certificate? Stay tuned.
Maybe he wasn't born in Canada at all! That would mean he can't be Prime Min... oh wait, yea that's right, our country is not silly like that Cheesy
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 48  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies