Canada 2011 Official Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 09:43:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada 2011 Official Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 48
Author Topic: Canada 2011 Official Thread  (Read 135670 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: April 15, 2011, 12:20:02 PM »

Tories steady, Grits drop, dippers on a roll.....

The Dippers' "Not So Great Canadian Moments" ads are very good - true comparison ads that start negative, but end positive.  The Conservative's ad campaign is also good, but more negative.  The Liberals' ads stink - disjointed with no coherent message.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #276 on: April 15, 2011, 12:26:23 PM »

The Dippers' "Not So Great Canadian Moments" ads are very good - true comparison ads that start negative, but end positive.  The Conservative's ad campaign is also good, but more negative.  The Liberals' ads stink - disjointed with no coherent message.

I wish party advertising was allowed in the UK...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #277 on: April 15, 2011, 12:29:39 PM »

Not a fan of Party Political Broadcasts?
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #278 on: April 15, 2011, 12:43:15 PM »

Not a fan of Party Political Broadcasts?

3 over the course of a month long campaign isn't as... interesting.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #279 on: April 15, 2011, 12:44:58 PM »

What's with the focus on human smuggling in the Conservative ads? Is that really an important issue in Canada?
Foucaulf
« Reply #280 on: April 15, 2011, 01:15:54 PM »

What's with the focus on human smuggling in the Conservative ads? Is that really an important issue in Canada?

It fits into the Conservative strategy--pleasing the immigrants while appeasing the base. Rural Canadians are much like Americans in their perception of foreigners, but the same foreigners are the potential voters Harper needs to gain urban ridings. Harper therefore pins the tail on illegal migrants instead! It's not as if they have a voice in detention.

A less biased look at the issue would be that it's a continuation of the debate over Canada's open-door policy. Right-wing politicians will say that such a policy leads to more human smuggling and that a more restricted criterion be used. Left-wing politicians will keep the status quo as a means to continue population growth, and to oppose demonizing minority populations.

This issue really heated up after a boat of Tamil migrants landed in BC last year. Google that for the specifics.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #281 on: April 15, 2011, 01:16:15 PM »

There have been at least two refugee ships that landed in B.C. over the past few years.  Once the smuggled individuals land in Canada, they usually make a refugee claim and can stay in the country pending a hearing.  Most often, they are released from custody almost immediately.  And it costs something like $150,000 to process each claim.  So there's little deterrence to trying to get into Canada via the back door, and it's costly to process them.

I think Conservatives are raising this issue in part to argue that they are supposedly tough on crime while the other parties who blocked their proposed reform bill aren't.  I suppose the issue is also partially geared toward galvanizing those who have jumped through the hoops to legally emigrate to Canada.  People who abuse the system get in immediately, why they have a difficult time getting their own family in legally.  Of course, that strategy could easily backfire.

This is probably a bigger issue in B.C. than elsewhere - except perhaps, Quebec, where immigration from non-French speaking areas isn't very well liked.  Quebec wants full control over immigration there - but that's a whole different issue.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #282 on: April 15, 2011, 02:37:54 PM »

This is probably a bigger issue in B.C. than elsewhere - except perhaps, Quebec, where immigration from non-French speaking areas isn't very well liked.  Quebec wants full control over immigration there - but that's a whole different issue.

Quebec is having different ads than the rest of Canada.
Even political parties have different slogans.

See, Conservative Party.
"Here for Canada" in English
"Notre région au pouvoir" (Our region to power) in French.

NDP does the same thing.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #283 on: April 15, 2011, 02:42:31 PM »

What does "Our region to power" mean? Or does it just not translate well?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #284 on: April 15, 2011, 02:55:34 PM »
« Edited: April 15, 2011, 02:59:20 PM by cinyc »

This is probably a bigger issue in B.C. than elsewhere - except perhaps, Quebec, where immigration from non-French speaking areas isn't very well liked.  Quebec wants full control over immigration there - but that's a whole different issue.

See, Conservative Party.

NDP does the same thing.

I believe the Tory human smuggling ad was also made in French.  Whether it or any of these ads have been shown on TV is something I can't answer.  

Nor can I critique the Bloc's ads, since I don't speak French.  From what I understand, their slogan translates into something like "let's talk about Quebec", which seems pretty lame.  Why just talk about Quebec?  Do something.

It means vote Conservative to put Quebec in power by electing reps in the top vote-getting party that will form the government.  By implication, voting Bloc is a waste since they will never form the government.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #285 on: April 15, 2011, 02:59:51 PM »

See, Conservative Party.

NDP does the same thing.

I believe the Tory human smuggling ad was also made in French.  Whether it or any of these ads have been shown on TV is something I can't answer. 

Nor can I critique the Bloc's ads, since I don't speak French.  From Their slogan - translating into something like let's talk about Quebec - is pretty lame.  Why just talk about Quebec?  Do something.

It is hard to do things when you are in perpertual opposition and hated in the other provinces.

Refudiate: "Our region into power"? In short, it means "elect someone which is in the party in power, so your region participates in the exercise of the power."

Which is lies, since the only regions which was power are Calgary, Tar Sands Land and Bible Belt.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #286 on: April 15, 2011, 03:19:47 PM »

Basically it means "elect an MP who will be on the side of power and will get you advantages for your home turf". It's not a bad slogan, but in reality it's "elect a useless tool who will vote party-line and do nothing all day" - I'd know, because I have the great opportunity of having a Tory MP.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #287 on: April 15, 2011, 03:39:36 PM »

It is hard to do things when you are in perpertual opposition and hated in the other provinces.

Refudiate: "Our region into power"? In short, it means "elect someone which is in the party in power, so your region participates in the exercise of the power."

Which is lies, since the only regions which was power are Calgary, Tar Sands Land and Bible Belt.

Eh, the Bloc's slogan opens them up to the accusation that all they do is talk, not get results.  I know the Liberals are using it against them - as they should.  It's not a great slogan.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #288 on: April 15, 2011, 04:18:12 PM »

Eh, the Bloc's slogan opens them up to the accusation that all they do is talk, not get results.  I know the Liberals are using it against them - as they should.  It's not a great slogan.

I was not defending Bloc, I was rather bashing it for being in perpertual opposition. It can't the Prime Minister seat and refuse to be part of a government.

Conservative slogan is bad. Bloc slogan is bad. Liberals don't really have a slogan. For NDP, I'll not comment.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #289 on: April 15, 2011, 05:14:10 PM »

Layton is in PEI today for some reason.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #290 on: April 15, 2011, 06:06:42 PM »

The Liberals' ads stink - disjointed with no coherent message.

Seems perfect for the Liberals, then.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #291 on: April 15, 2011, 07:42:22 PM »
« Edited: April 15, 2011, 07:43:58 PM by Hatman »

Layton is in PEI today for some reason.

PEI, the worst place for the NDP. Only once it is history has it even elected an NDP MLA. Speaking of that MLA, I believe his wife is running.

Scratch that, it's the wife of a former leader, but it was a different guy who was the MLA (Herb Dickieson).
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #292 on: April 15, 2011, 09:43:30 PM »

Tories   Grits   Dippers   Bloq
14-Apr-11   Nanos   38.7   28.8   18.6   9
13-Apr-11   Forum   36   25   22   7
14-Apr-11   EKOS   35.3   27.8   18   9.6
13-Apr-11   COMPAS   45   24   16   8
13-Apr-11   Innovative Research   39   28   17   9
10-Apr-11   Harris Decima   40   28   15   8

http://www.nanosresearch.com/election2011/20110414-BallotE.pdf

http://www.hilltimes.com/dailyupdate/view/way_open_of_harper_majority_forum_research_nationwide_poll_04-15-2011

http://ipolitics.ca/2011/04/15/debates-hold-little-sway-on-voters-ekos-research/

http://www.compas.ca/data/110413-NationalElectionPoll_Prt1-VoteIntentions-EPCB.pdf

http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/04/12/harper-still-far-from-majority-poll/

http://www.harrisdecima.ca/news/releases/201104/1117-conservatives-regain-double-digit-lead
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #293 on: April 15, 2011, 10:21:49 PM »

Liberals are polling pretty consistently, but both the Conseratives and the NDP are all over the place between those different pollsters.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #294 on: April 15, 2011, 10:26:08 PM »

Where did EKOS have the NDP last time?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #295 on: April 16, 2011, 01:38:27 AM »

If somehow the dream becomes a reality, then Canada would only have to adopt cricket as a major sport and they might fit in with the rest of the club Tongue

Fortunately Canada's bat-and-ball sport of choice is the superior one.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #296 on: April 16, 2011, 04:07:18 AM »

To fairly minor extent, both of that.

In other words, default Canadian election season.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #297 on: April 16, 2011, 10:45:25 AM »

If somehow the dream becomes a reality, then Canada would only have to adopt cricket as a major sport and they might fit in with the rest of the club Tongue

Fortunately Canada's bat-and-ball sport of choice is the superior one.

Ha. At this point, I wouldn't be so sure... Baseball is getting less and less popular, while cricket is becoming more and more popular. Unfortunately, they didn't show any World Cup games on any main channel, unless you got a special cable package.
Interesting note, in the 1800s, cricket was the most popular sport in Canada, but it was overtaken by ice hockey and baseball. While I enjoy the odd baseball game, I would love to see cricket on TV.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #298 on: April 16, 2011, 12:55:15 PM »

Today's Nanos - More of the Same:

Conservative    38.8%    +0.1    
Liberal    28.8%    NC    -
NDP    19.2%    +0.6    
BQ    8.5%    -0.5    
Green    3.4%    -0.3    

(3 days ending April 15)
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #299 on: April 16, 2011, 05:49:49 PM »

Nothing has surprised me yet, but it seems like support for the Greens has totally collapsed. Are the polls just underestimating the Green vote or does anyone else think that the Greens may in bad electoral shape?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 48  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies