Things everybody knows that are actually wrong (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 07:31:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Things everybody knows that are actually wrong (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Things everybody knows that are actually wrong  (Read 40858 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: May 07, 2009, 04:16:51 PM »

That snuff films exist. Yes there are video recordings of people being killed, but no law enforcement agency in the world has ever made a credible claim to having discovered an instance of a criminal organization murdering people and filming it on camera for the sole purpose of selling the videos for commercial means.

Another criminal myth is that drug smugglers use the corpses of babies to smuggle drugs. Even the FBI and DEA admit there's not a single case on record of this occurring.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 11:44:43 PM »

Perhaps a better incorrect statement for Brazil is what the largest city is. It's not Rio or Brasilia.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 03:29:10 AM »

The Scream cost Dean the Democratic nomination.

That's something only ignorants "know". Anyone with a clue about politics knows it's bullsh!t.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 02:53:06 PM »

Here's a real political one: That the televised debates cost Nixon the election in 1960.

The Gallup tracking polling showed no discernable effect after the debates.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 01:34:19 AM »

Here's a big one:

That emo is an insanely retarded fashion style that was created around 2003, rather than a form of hardcore punk music that has existed since the mid-80s.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 12:46:12 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2009, 12:47:43 PM by Please Shut Off The Lights »

Here's a big one:

That emo is an insanely retarded fashion style that was created around 2003, rather than a form of hardcore punk music that has existed since the mid-80s.

You're part of a 0.1% minority that even thinks where emo came from.  Smiley

So? I'm sure that many scientists make up only about 0.1% percent of the population is aware of certain of biological process and that many astronomers are the 0.1% who are aware of various galaxies, stars and planet.

Also I really doubt anyone would ever argue there wasn't any witchcraft trials in Europe, they're probably just not aware that the Salem trials are essentially a relatively very minor incident which receives massive disproportionate attention.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 02:36:11 PM »

So Monty Python were incorrect as that is set around the 11th century or so?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 03:09:33 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2009, 03:13:01 PM by Please Shut Off The Lights »

One thing that kind of irritates me is when Wiccans try to act like those executed for witchcraft were some sort of martyrs for their faith by those evil, evil Christians ("their" referring to the modern day Wiccans of course), as if the people were actual witches and not also Christians. And of course ignoring the fact that their spiritual predecessors killed way more people in human sacrifice and that early pagans killed way more Christians than actual pagans killed by Christians. That's not even considering that the Nazis were more pagan than Christian.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 11:57:05 PM »

Any psychological one spread by pop culture: That people can be hypnotized against their will.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 02:06:25 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2009, 02:10:09 PM by The Sweetness and the Light »

Here's another question almost everyone will answer incorrectly:

What is the oldest continuously inhabited city still in existence? Almost everyone will answer Rome. Rome was founded around 750 BC. Damascus, Syria is mentioned in the Book of Genesis and by some estimates was founded as early as 8000 BC. Rome isn't even the oldest city in Europe.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 02:12:54 PM »

Damascus predates even that.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 02:20:04 PM »

Baghdad is a relatively new city founded after the Caliphate.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 02:40:46 PM »

As far as cities in Egypt go, Alexandria dates back to being much older than Cairo, though also long after the construction of the Pyramids and what not. Not sure if any cities from that era still exist.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2009, 02:52:35 PM »

I wonder what most people would answer as the oldest continuously inhabited city in the US is. Probably something stupid like Boston.

The answer is St. Augustine, FL by the way for European settlements, though there are some remote Native villages in Arizona and New Mexico which go back as far as the 12th century.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 08:23:30 AM »

One could easily disprove Coburn simply by posting demographic statistics of towns on Reservations. However he's not even a real poster anyway so why bother?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 10:32:05 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2009, 10:34:48 PM by I left my heart in the back of the cab »

Here's some I realized reading TV Tropes:

Most people today seem to think the original Planet of the Apes was a cheesy B-movie known only for its camp value, probably due to the title which is similar to many MST3K movies. In fact it was a critically well-received film with a respectable budget for its time.

Most people also don't realize the original Godzilla movies were also pretty dark and as ridiculous as the special effects look today, they were standard for the time. We aren't talking about a Japanese Plan 9 From Outer Space.

Also Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA" is NOT a patriotic song.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 11:00:35 PM »

Also Babe Ruth's "called shot". It's basically a media creation, an exageration of something to make a story, like the Dean Scream. Then also that the Baby Ruth candybar is named after him.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 11:06:45 PM »

Ah.

Well here's another one: "You forgot Poland". Never said in the debate. It's another "Luke, I am your father" and "Beam me up Scotty"
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 02:23:35 AM »

More misunderstood songs:

Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You: Despite actually being a break up song people who haven't listened to any of the lyrics beyond the title result in this being frequently played and requested at weddings.

The Police - Every Breath You Take: Similar to the above for play at weddings, despite being about a stalker and intended to sound insanely creepy.

Green Day - Time of Your Life: Most people aren't aware the full title is actually Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) and it's a sarcastic send-off to an ex. Not exactly the most appropiate play for the graduation parties and whatnot that it's so common at.

Beastie Boys - Fight For Your Right To Party: Insanely popular at keg parties and the like and usually seen as sort of an anthem for rebellious teens (including myself back in the day embarassingly), despite the fact that the song is actually making fun of the people who love it so much now.

Mineral - a ton of their songs: It's kind of funny how shortly after they broke up all of sudden everyone realized they were actually a stealth Christian band.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 10:36:18 AM »

People are still ignorant of Every Breath you Take and Good Riddance?  I suppose I can understand being stupid about the Police song, but anybody that thinks that way about Good Riddance should be shot if they are telling people they are fans of Green Day.

I doubt anyone ignorant about Good Riddance claims to be an actual Green Day fan, we're talking about people who are only familiar with the song via its mainstream popularity.

Barack Obama was born in Kenya and is secret Kenyan agent, waiting to take over America and kill all white people

This is about commonly-held misconceptions, not nonsense believed by a handful of far right idiots.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2009, 10:59:40 PM »

Movie misconceptions:

The Nightmare Before Christmas: Tim Burton didn't direct it. Somewhat excusable due to the full title.

Judd Apatow: Has only directed three movies: The 40-Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up and Funny People. He didn't direct Superbad, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, The Pineapple Express (which was actually directed by a very artsy independent director), I Love You, Man or anything else. Somewhat excused due to that those movies were marketed as from "the people who brought you Knocked Up and The 40-Year Old Virgin" but not excusable are the idiots who assume every movie starring a member of his "crew" is related to him in any way (as I've heard people assume of Adventureland, Observe & Report, Role Models and even Juno.)

The Orphange: Is not from the director of Pan's Labyrinth. I laughed so hard when some guy on another forum about a year ago was accusing that guy of ripping off his own movie.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2009, 04:30:29 PM »

That Germany and Japan were the only enemies in WW2. (Italy was bad too folks)

Is there anyone who's ignorant of that or unaware of who Mussolini was?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2009, 02:10:26 PM »

That the Netherlands has a liberal drug policy. Even pot isn't really legal there, it's just that there are no penalties for posession of it below a certain amount. Having large quantities and trafficking is still very illegal. Some countries like Switzerland have a laxer policy toward it. And the Netherlands' policy on hard drugs is one of the toughest in Europe and is harsher than many US states, sale of cocaine can get a 15-year sentence for example. The country with the most liberal drug policy in Europe is actually generally thought of more conservative Portugal.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2009, 10:56:56 PM »

That there exists a place called Ruby Ridge. The incident there happened somewhere between Caribou Ridge and Ruby Creek. The media invented a term to describe it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2009, 12:13:14 AM »

Death pannels are real

(seriously, how can anyone believe that?)

You obviously have missed the point of this thread. Learn it or quit posting:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Now "everybody" is obviously an exaggeration, but it clearly means "most people". Not "fringe right Republicans" or "a single person" (as I have yet to see anyone but Richius claim he is not an extremist.)

So learn the purpose or shut up.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies