Post interesting results (biggest victories, milestones, etc) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 10:56:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Post interesting results (biggest victories, milestones, etc) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Post interesting results (biggest victories, milestones, etc)  (Read 5280 times)
Nichlemn

« on: November 03, 2010, 03:42:47 AM »
« edited: November 03, 2010, 05:20:19 AM by Nichlemn »

What district the GOP won had the most Democratic CPVI? Looks like they just won in Republican and low-single digits Democratic turf, basically recouping the bulk of 06/08 losses and supplementing them with (mostly Southern) GOP-favouring holdouts. IL-10 might be their most Democratic district at D+6, and that was a hold.

What Democratic incumbent lost by the biggest margin? (Cao surely claims that prize for incumbents, at 65-36). Looks to me to be Chet Edwards, who lost 62-37 in his admittedly R+20 district. TN-06 appears to be the biggest open seat win, at 69%-27% for the GOP. What come next? Lincoln Davis (57-38), Alan Grayson (56-38) and Suzanne Kosmas (60-40) are surely up there.
Nichlemn

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 09:08:48 PM »

One January 4, 2011, you can drive:

1.  Across Pennsylvania on I-80 and never enter a Democratic district.

Given that the I-80 runs an almost entirely rural course across the north-central part of the state, this actually wouldn't be all that interesting even if it were true, which it isn't, since Jason Altmire is still with us.

If either Altimire or Critz had lost (both won by slim margins), there would be 12-13 (depending on NY-25) contiguous districts across OH, PA, WV and NY that were Republican pick-ups.
Nichlemn

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 09:09:53 PM »

Who is the youngest person elected this year? Anyone born in 1980s?

Adam Kinzinger in IL-11 is 32. I think he's probably the youngest.

So Aaron Schock remains the Baby of the House?
Nichlemn

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 08:56:48 PM »

Frederica Wilson - 68 (!) - I think this may be a record for a freshman; I'm pretty sure Diane Watson, at 67, was previously the oldest newly-minted congressperson.

I believe that honour goes to George W. Crockett, Jr. who was 71 when first elected.
Nichlemn

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 03:54:49 AM »

Single party congressional delegations (that is, both House and Senate):

Republicans turned ID, KS all Republican. Democrats gained DE, HA. Democrats retain a 6-3 edge in single party delegations (counting Lieberman and Sanders as Dems), with CT, MA, RI, VT, DE, HA versus ID, KS, WY for GOP.

It seems unusual as smaller states are most likely to have one party Congressional delegations and smaller states tend to be Republican. However, this is mostly a function of Democratic Senators from small Republican-leaning states who might not have survived had they been up for re-election this year.

If we go House only, it's tied at 7-7 (GOP adding MT, ND, SD, NE and Democrats adding ME).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies