California GOP moving to Minnesota-style system?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:55:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  California GOP moving to Minnesota-style system?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: California GOP moving to Minnesota-style system?  (Read 1259 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 29, 2010, 06:27:49 PM »

New math may rule California politics

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 11:42:43 AM »

Well, it's probably the best strategic move for them in the system.

I personally don't like the "top two get on the ballot" process in a system based mostly on parties.  It'd be fine if we didn't have parties... but we do.

I much prefer IRV as an alternative.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 01:03:33 AM »

I personally don't like the "top two get on the ballot" process in a system based mostly on parties.  It'd be fine if we didn't have parties... but we do.

True enough, though them doing this means that there is no real need for the Democrats to do the same. Only one serious Republican assures a Democrat making it to the second round in all races.

Personally, I wouldn't mind the top-two system if it included a NOTA option. I like being able to register my dissatisfaction with the powers that be.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 10:57:05 AM »

True enough, though them doing this means that there is no real need for the Democrats to do the same. Only one serious Republican assures a Democrat making it to the second round in all races.

Personally, I wouldn't mind the top-two system if it included a NOTA option. I like being able to register my dissatisfaction with the powers that be.

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?fips=6&year=2000&f=0&off=92&elect=5

Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 11:09:54 AM »

I don't understand the logic behind why they passed this proposition...

Arnold says that Prop 14 would help centrists and moderates, a laudable goal.  But if the parties start nominating people in a caucus setting, which is designed to shut out moderates, how the heck does Prop 14 help???
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 07:07:43 PM »
« Edited: July 03, 2010, 07:21:41 PM by Torie »

Yes, geography works against centrists being elected in California,  but in time, as folks learn to work the system, I suspect more and more of the minority party will vote for the more moderate candidate in the other party, where the other party dominates. There is a learning curve here that takes time. I suspect in my own assembly district it could make a difference.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 01:37:35 AM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?fips=6&year=2000&f=0&off=92&elect=5

California is probably the best argument there is against the mass public voting on propositions.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 01:03:44 PM »

I don't understand the logic behind why they passed this proposition...

Arnold says that Prop 14 would help centrists and moderates, a laudable goal.  But if the parties start nominating people in a caucus setting, which is designed to shut out moderates, how the heck does Prop 14 help???
Political parties (or anyone) are free to endorse candidates.  How a party reaches its decision is also up to the party.  Under Proposition 14, political parties will be able to have their endorsements printed on the sample ballot distributed with the voters pamphlet.

But they can't keep other people from running for office.  A candidate who relies solely on his party endorsement, may appear to be too shrill or too robotic.

It is also possible that the Republicans are just preparing for a lawsuit against Proposition 14.  If they have an actual bylaw in place, then it is easier to support a claim that their political rights are being thwarted.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies