Is it unethical to visit Hawaii as a tourist?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 06:20:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Is it unethical to visit Hawaii as a tourist?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
Yes

No

Sometimes (explain)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 65

Author Topic: Is it unethical to visit Hawaii as a tourist?  (Read 578 times)
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 02, 2024, 06:24:54 PM »

This is a debate that occasionally makes the rounds. I do not know if this is a majority or just some vocal people online, but some people say that you shouldn't do it because it's an example of neocolonialism, that it's stealing the Native Hawaiians' land away from them, or whatnot. What do you all think?
Electric Circus
United States
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2024, 07:52:44 PM »

Yes, but that's mostly because of the air travel. And most people who can afford to jet around the world will never be persuaded to choose otherwise.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2024, 11:59:38 PM »

Depends where in the state.

Northern Oahu is debatable, Niihau is pretty much certain, but the rest is probably fine enough.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2024, 01:45:31 AM »

Yes, but that's mostly because of the air travel. And most people who can afford to jet around the world will never be persuaded to choose otherwise.
Why is air travel so unethical ?
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2024, 04:44:42 AM »

No.
This question reminds me of a story shared online around 25 years ago by a travel agent.
She had booked a large group of businessmen on a two-week business trip to Honolulu. One day, weeks before the trip was to begin, she received a call from one man within the group who said he wanted to spend an additional week in Hawaii for pleasure, see the other islands, and he asked the travel agent to book cars and hotels for him. She proceeded to discuss with him which days he wanted to see which islands, and booked the cars and hotels for him as he asked. Then she started discussing plane departure times.
"Whoa," he said, "there's no need for that. Remember that I'm renting cars. I'm just going to drive to the other islands."
(Pause.) "Sir, you can't drive from any island of Hawaii to any other island. There are no bridges between any of the Hawaiian islands. The islands are all too far apart for any bridges to be built."
"And you call yourself a travel agent?!? Don't you know there are bridges all of the way from Maui to Key West?"
(Pause.) "Sir, you seem to have gotten the state of Hawaii confused with the state of Florida. If you were going to Florida, you'd be correct that there are a series of bridges between the islands known as the Florida Keys, and those bridges make it possible to drive all of the way from Miami to Key West. But you are not going to Florida, sir, you are going to Hawaii. And you CAN trust that I know what I am talking about when I say there are no bridges between the islands of Hawaii."
There was a pause, then he said, "I'll call you back," and hung up. Of course, she never heard from him again.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2024, 05:14:03 AM »

I assume because of the emissions it generates. I'm old enough to remember the flight-shame movement, which garnered some coverage in 2019.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2024, 07:04:50 AM »

Broadly speaking, No.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2024, 07:33:42 AM »

you can do it ethically I'd imagine, but most people don't
it's very bad for the environment.  If you care about the environment and regularly fly, you're an asshole.  Doubly so if you complain about other people not caring enough as you do about the environment or argue that plastic straw (or bags or anything) bans are a good idea.
Electric Circus
United States
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2024, 07:55:48 AM »

A round-trip flight to Hawaii from anywhere in the contiguous states amounts to around as much carbon emissions as a typical car commuter creates in a year.

There are a lot of emissions that the typical American cannot avoid creating without blowing up their lives. But we're not talking about throwing people out of work, stranding them in the boonies, or leaving them in the cold all winter. Long-haul flights are a discretionary luxury, and it only takes one per year to nullify just about every other energy consumption choice a person might make.

I assume because of the emissions it generates. I'm old enough to remember the flight-shame movement, which garnered some coverage in 2019.

Most educated Americans are brought up to believe that travel is a virtue, or at least an indulgence they have earned. I don't know anything about a movement, but there's no surer way to spoil the mood among well-off Americans than to suggest that their "adventures" are neither inherently meritorious nor interesting. They'll just snort at you and walk away, firmly convinced that there's something special about having been drunk on several continents.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2024, 08:55:53 AM »

Nah, what kind of a question is that?

Tourism usually is a huge economic factor and creates jobs for the said region. Only gets problematic when certain hotspots are overrun with people, which often affects the enviornment as well. Otherwise, it's a strong net positive. Also in terms of cultural exchange.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2024, 10:33:17 AM »

it's very bad for the environment.  If you care about the environment and regularly fly, you're an asshole.  Doubly so if you complain about other people not caring enough as you do about the environment or argue that plastic straw (or bags or anything) bans are a good idea.
How am I supposed to get to Furnace Fest then? And wouldn't driving there be worse?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2024, 11:45:08 AM »
« Edited: May 03, 2024, 11:51:45 AM by Santander »

The environmental downsides of air travel, is obviously bad, but I think low-cost air travel in Europe and especially Asia has had an enormous positive effect for promoting peace and reducing xenophobia that we will never be able to measure.

But to answer the original question, as long as you are a "quality tourist" like the people and government of Hawaii want (stay in hotels, don't do illegal / obnoxious sh!t for the 'gram, don't disrespect the environment, spend a bit of cash, etc.), it is fine.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2024, 02:11:29 PM »

How am I supposed to get to Furnace Fest then? And wouldn't driving there be worse?
you can do whatever you want, if you don't care about the environment or don't mind being a giant hypocrite, it's fine.  I don't funking care, but I'm certainly done feeling any guilt about "how I left the planet" or whatever.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2024, 02:19:20 PM »

you can do whatever you want, if you don't care about the environment or don't mind being a giant hypocrite, it's fine.  I don't funking care, but I'm certainly done feeling any guilt about "how I left the planet" or whatever.

For the record I would at least argue the way I vacation is more ethical than what most people do. I only travel somewhere if there's an event there I actually want to attend. I don't go somewhere just go hang out at a tourist hotel....I can have way more fun even doing things at home with the money I'd spend on it!

My parents went to Hawaii in January and by all accounts had an amazing time, but it's not a vacation that I would go on even if invited.
ReallySuper
El Salvador

Political Matrix
E: -8.06, S: -7.39

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2024, 11:00:38 PM »

a bunch of settlers on the worst website in existence seem to think its ok so im sure theyre on to something
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2024, 01:23:59 AM »

if you're going to troll, it helps if it's understandable

2.4 out of 10
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2024, 08:40:27 PM »

My mom took a Hawaii cruise in September.  Her itinerary included a stop on Maui (not too long after the fires, but on the other side of the island).  Every local she interacted with kept saying how grateful they were to see some tourists coming back because the lack of tourism was killing the economy.

Obviously not, though I always advocate exploring a country/place beyond your resort.  That's not a moral imperative, though, but just how I think you make the most of travel.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2024, 09:16:43 PM »

There are some enviromental issues with the current tourism industry and a lot of those resorts and hotels arenīt owned by locals, let alone natives.
Now, I think that the solution isnīt destroying the tourism industry, but instead to regulate it, tax the hotels, guarding the natural areas, etc etc etc. This can include a cap in the number of hotels, maybe getting some out.

a bunch of settlers on the worst website in existence seem to think its ok so im sure theyre on to something

Hawaii is a plurality asian state and a good part of their ancestors came as very poot economic migrants a century ago, not that different from the coolies in Peru. Do you want to force them out?
Ashley Biden's Diary
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2024, 10:58:15 PM »

The only person I've ever seen say anything like this was a Tumblr user, who in the same post defended the Hamas house to house murders. Pretty much says it all about the types who spout this drivel.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies