HB 26.15 No Subsidies for Fossil Fuels Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 10:23:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 26.15 No Subsidies for Fossil Fuels Act
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: HB 26.15 No Subsidies for Fossil Fuels Act  (Read 2411 times)
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2020, 11:04:55 AM »

Aye
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2020, 04:03:34 PM »

Aye
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2020, 04:22:18 PM »

Aye.

I object. Simply put, this seems like far too much money to use for subsidies.

Could you clarify the issue?
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2020, 04:24:46 PM »

Aye.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2020, 06:14:04 PM »

aye
The goal was to propose a reallocation and that does it. We could always tweak it afterwards if there are issues.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2020, 06:44:31 PM »

Aye.

Direct fossil fuel subsidies are in excess of $20 billion annually. These subsidies should be eliminated, of course, but using it to further subsidize energy costs for households that are likely already subsidized is both wasteful and counterproductive.

As a general rule, subsidizing something creates more of it, so reducing energy costs can lead to wasteful habits.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2020, 12:19:41 AM »

Aye.

Direct fossil fuel subsidies are in excess of $20 billion annually. These subsidies should be eliminated, of course, but using it to further subsidize energy costs for households that are likely already subsidized is both wasteful and counterproductive.

As a general rule, subsidizing something creates more of it, so reducing energy costs can lead to wasteful habits.
Ultimately, I don't think the marginal decrease in efficient energy use among lower-income families outweighs the benefits of a reduction in energy costs or at the least, a maintaining of affordable energy prices. It's also a compromise that I think can bring some representatives who might not otherwise support the bill into the fold - it provides support for working-class Atlasians, while also sending needed investment to renewable energy.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2020, 12:21:34 AM »

Kind of see both sides on this one. If you are interested in reducing the deficit, though, getting rid of this seems like basically the perfect place to start
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2020, 12:23:29 AM »

Kind of see both sides on this one. If you are interested in reducing the deficit, though, getting rid of this seems like basically the perfect place to start
Ah yeah, budgetary concerns might play a role here. If necessary, I'm willing to cut out the renewable energy subsidies and a part of the energy cost subsidies if it's needed to balance the budget, though IDK where other reps stand on this.
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2020, 12:42:07 AM »

It's weird to see the left go on and on about the budget and argue for less for the poor and little guy. I say lets go after the people that outsource jobs and screw over Atlasia first for once I say.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2020, 02:38:26 AM »

It's weird to see the left go on and on about the budget and argue for less for the poor and little guy. I say lets go after the people that outsource jobs and screw over Atlasia first for once I say.

Do we have to pick? If we're spending $20 bil on this now, $10B in continued spending on different things probably helps Atlasians more than the $20B did when it was going straight into oil executives' coffers.

I would probably eliminate part of the subsidy entirely, and dedicate the remaining half to something that helps ordinary people more than corporate welfare.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2020, 12:28:43 AM »

Ted hasn't closed the amendment vote, so: by a vote of 5-1-0-3, the amendment is adopted.

Ah yeah, budgetary concerns might play a role here. If necessary, I'm willing to cut out the renewable energy subsidies and a part of the energy cost subsidies if it's needed to balance the budget, though IDK where other reps stand on this.

Generally speaking, I think that would depend quite a bit on the state of our renewable-energy sector and whether it's currently in a position to transition to providing energy for millions of Atlasians who would previously have relied solely or primarily on fossil fuels. If they need the subsidies to support this transition, I'd opt for that but phase the subsidies out after a few years.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2020, 01:15:22 AM »

Unless we can justify these subsidies, I think it's best to go with the original Senate Bill that passed unanimously. There are already a lot of local, state and regional subsidies.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2020, 03:02:54 AM »

Ted hasn't closed the amendment vote, so: by a vote of 5-1-0-3, the amendment is adopted.

Ack, good catch. Thanks.

Generally speaking, I think that would depend quite a bit on the state of our renewable-energy sector and whether it's currently in a position to transition to providing energy for millions of Atlasians who would previously have relied solely or primarily on fossil fuels. If they need the subsidies to support this transition, I'd opt for that but phase the subsidies out after a few years.

I guess the question is how much this is going to actually affect prices. If we're going to be forcing the energy sector belly-up, it would probably be good to have some kind of transition in place. If it's only going to move the needle a little bit (which I think is more likely) you probably don't need to do as much.

Maybe we could eliminate some of the subsidies, and shift the rest to a cost support that sunsets out over a period of a few years.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2020, 07:50:44 PM »

Instead of subsidies (or in addition to a reduced amount of), why not a scaling tax rebate for households that reduce energy use year to year?
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2020, 09:20:17 PM »

I guess the question is how much this is going to actually affect prices. If we're going to be forcing the energy sector belly-up, it would probably be good to have some kind of transition in place. If it's only going to move the needle a little bit (which I think is more likely) you probably don't need to do as much.

Wasn't there a law passed to take control of energy companies (red green deal)? With that it mind, it would be good for the state for the value of energy companies to go down. It would then cost much less for the state to buy a majority control.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2020, 11:32:41 PM »

Any new thoughts, guys? Since we just adopted the RGND, may want to consider how that impacts this bill.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2020, 05:01:10 PM »

Wasn't there a law passed to take control of energy companies (red green deal)? With that it mind, it would be good for the state for the value of energy companies to go down. It would then cost much less for the state to buy a majority control.

Does this bill have an impact on the value of energy companies ? I don't want the value to go higher since some energy companies will have a majority of public participation. If there is no impact, my questioning is not relevent. If the value goes down it will cost less to take control is some companies.
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2020, 05:11:15 PM »

Fossil fuels are literally one of the greatest economic drivers on this planet for wealth creation and betterment of nations. It is a shame that we have to put a knife through the heart of what has driven human progress for the past 300 years.

Hopefully with the support of nuclear, fusion and other tech we will be able to maintain our civilization with high standards in the future. It is my hope we can continue to do so.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2020, 10:43:16 PM »

Does this bill have an impact on the value of energy companies ? I don't want the value to go higher since some energy companies will have a majority of public participation. If there is no impact, my questioning is not relevent. If the value goes down it will cost less to take control is some companies.

I think any impact on the value of the companies will be pretty marginal.

That aside, would be nice if someone who knows more about this than me could explain whether subsidizing something we already own makes sense.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2020, 12:01:38 PM »

I think any impact on the value of the companies will be pretty marginal.

That aside, would be nice if someone who knows more about this than me could explain whether subsidizing something we already own makes sense.
I'm no expert on this issue, but wouldn't that be basically tantamount to providing more funding for it? And as I don't think the RGND explicitly abolished fossil fuel subsidies doing so here might be a good idea.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2021, 01:55:39 AM »

Okay, this has been sitting on the floor for more than one full Congress now. Time to you-know-what or get off the pot.
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2021, 03:18:12 PM »

Maybe it should be tabled.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2021, 03:37:26 PM »

At the very least, the original version of the bill should be passed. The RGND has not yet eliminated fossil fuel subsidies and it is a good idea to do so.

I remain open to changing the specifics of the reallocation of subsidies - perhaps it might be wise to consider that the RGND puts a lot of funds into reducing renewable energy costs, which may or may not defeat the purpose of said subsidies - but we should try to pass this. Any comments?
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2021, 04:37:51 PM »

We adopted a reallocation of funds. I've accepted it but could go with different percentages, like 5-10% between categories.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies