S.19.2-10: SNUSNU (Southern Nuclear Utilization Scheme Next-gen Update) =PASSED (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:54:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.19.2-10: SNUSNU (Southern Nuclear Utilization Scheme Next-gen Update) =PASSED (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: S.19.2-10: SNUSNU (Southern Nuclear Utilization Scheme Next-gen Update) =PASSED  (Read 2374 times)
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« on: May 15, 2019, 04:49:43 AM »
« edited: May 15, 2019, 11:01:44 AM by Representative fhtagn »

Good stuff, nuclear does have a bit of risk, I suppose, but if we're not stupid about it the risk is much smaller than the benefits. I guess I'll be the one to obligatorily mention that France uses mostly nuclear power and that's one of the things that functions best over there!

It looks like a good bill, I guess unless someone points out an error I think we should pass this.

Nuclear power is very safe, actually. Moreso than quite a few energy sources that we currently use in terms of deaths per trillion kilowatt hours.

Also worth noting that nuclear power is VERY heavily regulated and must meet very strict safety standards.  Plants here IRL are also unlikely to have catastrophic events take place because our buildings are meant to withstand a pressure detonation, so we aren't at risk of a Chernobyl-like incident taking place here.

In more recent times, you can also look at Fukushima, much of the problem with that event has more to do with prior safety concerns that made things worse, something we are less likely to worry about here.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 07:14:21 AM »

Good stuff, nuclear does have a bit of risk, I suppose, but if we're not stupid about it the risk is much smaller than the benefits. I guess I'll be the one to obligatorily mention that France uses mostly nuclear power and that's one of the things that functions best over there!

It looks like a good bill, I guess unless someone points out an error I think we should pass this.

Nuclear power is very safe, actually. Moreso than quite a few energy sources that we currently use in terms of deaths per trillion kilowatt hours.

Also worth noting that nuclear power is VERY heavily regulated and must meet very strict safety standards.  Plants here IRL are also unlikely to have catastrophic events take place because our buildings are meant to withstand a pressure detonation, so we aren't at risk of a Chernobyl-like incident taking place here.

In more recent times, you can also look at Fukushima, much of the problem with that event has more to do with prior safety concerns that made things worse, something we are less likely to worry about here.

As you mentioned, Fukishima, Chernobyle, and Three Mile Island, are examples of the danger of nuclear power, something like solar, wind, or hydroelectric, is more advisable

And if you bothered actually reading what I said, those events are incredibly unlikely to occur where we are today because of very strict safety standards and how our buildings are made.

If you can't be bothered to read what I said before you reply, don't bother replying.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 07:26:02 AM »

As you mentioned, Fukishima, Chernobyle, and Three Mile Island, are examples of the danger of nuclear power, something like solar, wind, or hydroelectric, is more advisable

And if you bothered actually reading what I said, those events are incredibly unlikely to occur where we are today because of very strict safety standards and how our buildings are made.

If you can't be bothered to read what I said before you reply, don't bother replying.

They can still happen, any risk is too much risk, especially since just one.of these can be very dangerous

As you can clearly see on the chart, solar, wind, and hydroelectric have risks too.

Sit down, kid.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies