Holocaust Museum: Stop playing Pokémon Go here (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:23:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Holocaust Museum: Stop playing Pokémon Go here (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Holocaust Museum: Stop playing Pokémon Go here  (Read 2080 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: July 13, 2016, 04:40:17 PM »

Yeah that's pretty horrible. From one Pokemon Go fan to others out there, have some damn self control.

Yeah. It even kinda bugs me when people go to cemeteries to play it.
The game is designed so you have to go to a gravestone in order to get certain things you need in order to play.

Why not go to a cemetery? We played in a cemetery every Thanksgiving when we were kids, next door to where we had Thanksgiving dinner.

Why not go to a Holocaust Memorial either?

As long as it's not distracting others, let it happen.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 05:51:37 PM »

Code:
Yeah that's pretty horrible. From one Pokemon Go fan to others out there, have some damn self control.

Yeah. It even kinda bugs me when people go to cemeteries to play it.
The game is designed so you have to go to a gravestone in order to get certain things you need in order to play.

Why not go to a cemetery? We played in a cemetery every Thanksgiving when we were kids, next door to where we had Thanksgiving dinner.

Why not go to a Holocaust Memorial either?

As long as it's not distracting others, let it happen.

Because they're sh!tting all over the memory of the victims of one of the worst crimes in human history, that's why.  
How? The app is making many visit and learn about places they never would have otherwise.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 09:06:04 PM »

You only need to be within 40 meters of a object designated as a pokestop to interact with it. And just plain old cemetery headstones wouldn't qualify, it'd be things like larger monuments or statues within the cemetery that you'd likely see people looking at or checking out anyway.

What people need to realize is the entire point of Ingress was to get people to check out things like that. The Holocaust Museum is most certainly a relevant point of interest and one I'd encourage people to check out. Beautiful statues and monuments in cemeteries are other examples. And as noted, you're not really doing anything more disruptive than texting. Now perhaps even simply texting inside the Holocaust Museum is kind of tacky but you don't need to go inside to play either game. I think the idea was lure people there, play on the outside, and then they might get the idea to check out the actual museum later. (I've done this for some museums before.) Removing it would be indicating that the Holocaust museum is not an important point of interest.

(and seriously kids have been playing games in cemeteries for centuries. Who didn't play something like hide and go seek in one as a kid?)
Eh, each and every memorial tree (about 200) in our city park is a poke-stop (or whatever it's called). As well as every gravestone in our local cemetery that has a statue.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies