Gubernatorial succession and term-limits in Virginia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 01:38:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Gubernatorial succession and term-limits in Virginia
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gubernatorial succession and term-limits in Virginia  (Read 879 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 09, 2017, 04:26:06 PM »

I always asked myself whether a lieutenant governor of Virginia who becomes governor during an ongoing term could run for reelection after the "half" term is completed or not? Usually governors can only be elected once to consecutive terms, but does that also apply top half-termers? If so, what had happened to Ralph Northam if Terry McAuliffe just stepped down a few days before this election?

It is important to note that I looked into the list of governors under the 1830 constitution for precedents, and there wasn't a single lt. gov. succeeding to office. The Virginia constitution also gives no specific answer in Article V, Sections 1, 2 and 16 (link). Only Article 1 states that:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The elected may be the keyword here. Because a governor by succession is not elected as such. If so, Lt.Gov-elect Justin Fairfax could be inaugurated as governor next year if something happens to Northam and then run in 2021.

Any ideas?
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 12:37:42 AM »

Good question.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 07:13:22 AM »

I think that could be tested in courts. If it happens.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 12:26:48 PM »

I asked this on AH a while back because I have a timeline that I'm kind of writing in which Northam dies in office.

IIRC a literal reading of VA's constitution implies that someone who became Governor in this way would in fact be able to run for re-election.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies