Tea Partiers support cutting military budget? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:42:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Tea Partiers support cutting military budget? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tea Partiers support cutting military budget?  (Read 2639 times)
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« on: June 09, 2010, 08:15:19 AM »

The military budget needs to be the first thing to be slashed.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 08:25:51 AM »

why? so you can have your private contractors fill in the void of a defunded military?

Because too much money is wasted on that costly government boondoggle.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 08:35:07 AM »

Good to hear. However, I'd bet that if you polled tea baggers asking who they blamed for the bloated military budget that the majority of them would blame Obama/Democrats and not Reagan/Bush I&II.

Why stop at Reagan? The country has never really demilitarized since the dark days of FDR.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 08:40:16 AM »

why? so you can have your private contractors fill in the void of a defunded military?

Because too much money is wasted on that costly government boondoggle.

lol just look at the private prisons since 1997 and what happens when those share holders decided to jump ship!

No, I'm not going to go look at private prisons right now.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 05:58:00 PM »

Good to hear. However, I'd bet that if you polled tea baggers asking who they blamed for the bloated military budget that the majority of them would blame Obama/Democrats and not Reagan/Bush I&II.

Why stop at Reagan? The country has never really demilitarized since the dark days of FDR.

Not so.Truman did attempt to demilitarize after World War II.

For instance, as of 24 June 1948 (start of the Berlin Blockade) the U.S. Navy had just six carriers in commission, the three Midway-class carriers, and three of the Essex-class carriers (Boxer, Leyte, and Kearsarge).  Only one battleship was in commission (Missouri).  Seven capital ships in all, making for a smaller Navy than had been seen since before World War I.

Granted, the Navy suffered the most of the services under the draw down that occurred between World War II and the Korean War, but all of the military was heavily pruned.

Truman didn't do anything to dismantle the global military empire left over from World War II, and in fact got us geared up for the first of a long series of undeclared wars, Korea. Of course military spending fell after the end of World War II, but we never returned to a true pre-war peacetime economy.

Eisenhower did make an attempt to hold down military expenditures, however milquetoast his efforts may have been.

Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 01:22:05 AM »

Cutting the military budget is a September 10th fad.
The movement to cut the military budget is growing rapidly.

The military budget needs to be cut by >90%.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 09:20:57 PM »

Not so.Truman did attempt to demilitarize after World War II.

For instance, as of 24 June 1948 (start of the Berlin Blockade) the U.S. Navy had just six carriers in commission, the three Midway-class carriers, and three of the Essex-class carriers (Boxer, Leyte, and Kearsarge).  Only one battleship was in commission (Missouri).  Seven capital ships in all, making for a smaller Navy than had been seen since before World War I.

Granted, the Navy suffered the most of the services under the draw down that occurred between World War II and the Korean War, but all of the military was heavily pruned.

Truman didn't do anything to dismantle the global military empire left over from World War II, and in fact got us geared up for the first of a long series of undeclared wars, Korea. Of course military spending fell after the end of World War II, but we never returned to a true pre-war peacetime economy.

Eisenhower did make an attempt to hold down military expenditures, however milquetoast his efforts may have been.

looks like defense spending went down during Ike, Nixon, and Reagan's 2nd term through Clinton's first.
It went down in the first two cases due to the ending of the Korean and Vietnam Wars, respectively.

Reagan's military budget only went down after it reached a peak of increased military spending for no good reason.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies