Nationally known governors?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 10:23:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Nationally known governors?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nationally known governors?  (Read 953 times)
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 15, 2022, 06:32:23 PM »

What governors are nationally known?
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2022, 06:37:27 PM »

Rough order;

Abbot, DeSantis, Newsom, Hochul, Whitmer, Kemp, maybe Dewine, the rest are just obscure
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022, 06:37:50 PM »

Polis, Whitmer, DeSantis, Youngkin, Abbott, Newsom to name a few
hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2022, 07:11:55 PM »

According to Sporcle.com, the following governors were all guessed by more than 50% of users.

California   Gavin Newsom   78%
New York   Kathy Hochul   73.3%
Florida   Ron DeSantis   67.7%
New Jersey   Philip Murphy   66.1%
Texas   Greg Abbott   63.8%
Louisiana   John Bel Edwards   59.6%
Massachusetts   Charlie Baker   56.6%
Alaska   Mike Dunleavy   55.6%
Ohio   Mike DeWine   53.8%
Wisconsin   Tony Evers   52.8%
Michigan   Gretchen Whitmer   51.9%
Arizona   Doug Ducey   51.5%
Virginia   Glenn Youngkin   51.3%
Maryland   Larry Hogan   50.2%
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2022, 08:39:15 PM »

DeSantis is certainly up there at this point, especially since he's viewed as a potential Republican presidential nominee. The media also tends to give coverage to Abbott, Newsom, Whitmer, and Hochul. Baker and Hogan have also gotten some media coverage, as has Polis.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2022, 08:42:11 PM »
« Edited: February 15, 2022, 09:10:16 PM by Roll Roons »

Youngkin also gets a lot of coverage from the Beltway press. Probably because so many of them are his constituents.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2022, 09:21:29 PM »

Youngkin also gets a lot of coverage from the Beltway press. Probably because so many of them are his constituents.

Yes and people are too obsessed with glenn trumpkin
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2022, 01:04:01 AM »

He's been there for a month. He's in that temporary period where people care about him. Just like how Doug Jones 2020 was briefly a thing in 2017,
Mr. Matt
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2022, 12:29:19 AM »

According to Sporcle.com, the following governors were all guessed by more than 50% of users.

I think with Sporcle though, you may want to check the date when the actual quiz was created. I think the original user, or maybe a more powerful user there, can make updates as new governors come in. Some of the high percentages may be residuals from other nationally known govs (e.g. Cuomo, Christie, Palin)
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2022, 12:40:20 AM »

California Gavin Newsom 78%
New York Kathy Hochul 73.3%
Florida Ron DeSantis 67.7%
New Jersey Philip Murphy 66.1%
Texas Greg Abbott 63.8%
Louisiana John Bel Edwards 59.6%
Massachusetts Charlie Baker 56.6%
Alaska Mike Dunleavy 55.6%
Ohio Mike DeWine 53.8%
Wisconsin Tony Evers 52.8%
Michigan Gretchen Whitmer 51.9%
Arizona Doug Ducey 51.5%
Virginia Glenn Youngkin 51.3%
Maryland Larry Hogan 50.2%
I'm surprised Dunleavy is that high, as well as Kemp not being guessed by over 50% of usrs
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2022, 01:09:09 AM »

California Gavin Newsom 78%
New York Kathy Hochul 73.3%
Florida Ron DeSantis 67.7%
New Jersey Philip Murphy 66.1%
Texas Greg Abbott 63.8%
Louisiana John Bel Edwards 59.6%
Massachusetts Charlie Baker 56.6%
Alaska Mike Dunleavy 55.6%
Ohio Mike DeWine 53.8%
Wisconsin Tony Evers 52.8%
Michigan Gretchen Whitmer 51.9%
Arizona Doug Ducey 51.5%
Virginia Glenn Youngkin 51.3%
Maryland Larry Hogan 50.2%
I'm surprised Dunleavy is that high, as well as Kemp not being guessed by over 50% of usrs

Mike Dunleavy was the #3 pick in the NBA draft. It's not surprising that that name is recognizable.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2022, 03:04:33 AM »
« Edited: February 23, 2022, 03:10:35 AM by John Ford Frank »

Outside of people who actively follow politics, I doubt any governor except for De Santis and maybe Newsom.  People who don't actively follow politics may have heard of Whitmer and Abbott, but if you showed people a photo of them, I doubt most people could tell you who they are.  I suspect very few non New Yorkers remember who Kathy Hochul is and similarly that few people outside of Virginia remember who Glenn Youngkin is.

I've argued here before that this is why Governors make poor Presidential candidates and why the string of 4 governors out of 5 (Carter, Reagan, Clinton and W Bush) was just a meaningless statistical fluke.  

Carter won precisely because he was an outsider following Nixon.

Reagan won because he was nationally known prior to becoming a governor not just for his acting but also as a General Electric spokesperson for whom he discussed economics and was clearly being coached to run for President on foreign policy.

Clinton was because the leading Democrats didn't get in the Presidential race in 1992 and he was an extraordinary politician.

W. Bush won in part due to the name recognition of his father, but also because the fix was in for him to win the Republican Primary. (After Bob Dole in 1996, wealthy Republican donors got together and agreed they would back only one candidate and freeze everybody else out.  John McCain was able to challenge W. Bush for awhile getting a large amount of small donations and Steve Forbes was able to rely on his own money.)
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2022, 04:23:04 AM »

Outside of people who actively follow politics, I doubt any governor except for De Santis and maybe Newsom.  People who don't actively follow politics may have heard of Whitmer and Abbott, but if you showed people a photo of them, I doubt most people could tell you who they are.  I suspect very few non New Yorkers remember who Kathy Hochul is and similarly that few people outside of Virginia remember who Glenn Youngkin is.

I've argued here before that this is why Governors make poor Presidential candidates and why the string of 4 governors out of 5 (Carter, Reagan, Clinton and W Bush) was just a meaningless statistical fluke.  

Carter won precisely because he was an outsider following Nixon.

Reagan won because he was nationally known prior to becoming a governor not just for his acting but also as a General Electric spokesperson for whom he discussed economics and was clearly being coached to run for President on foreign policy.

Clinton was because the leading Democrats didn't get in the Presidential race in 1992 and he was an extraordinary politician.

W. Bush won in part due to the name recognition of his father, but also because the fix was in for him to win the Republican Primary. (After Bob Dole in 1996, wealthy Republican donors got together and agreed they would back only one candidate and freeze everybody else out.  John McCain was able to challenge W. Bush for awhile getting a large amount of small donations and Steve Forbes was able to rely on his own money.)
I agree. People can name tons more Senators than Governors, they're just way more national
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies