Equal Protection and Voting, Reynolds v. Sims (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 11:03:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Equal Protection and Voting, Reynolds v. Sims (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: The ruling was...
Constitutionally sound

Constitutionally unsound

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 5

Author Topic: Equal Protection and Voting, Reynolds v. Sims  (Read 1857 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« on: November 10, 2005, 07:38:18 PM »

the decision sounds right (I don't know much about the constitutional law) so under this ruling the michigan state senate couldn't be elected by county (1 senator per county).  Although personally I think the districts should be equal at the state level for both houses.

In California we did just fine with Senators by county before Reynolds v. Sims.  Now, we have a legislature that only represents Los Angeles and San Francisco, and the rest of the state gets trampled on.

Gee, isn't that too bad that the Senators now represent where the people are, instead of giving some worthless county with almost no people an entire Senator. There's already 900,000 people per Senator, your un-democratic ideas would make it worse. I believe in democracy. You do not. You are an extremist.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 07:51:02 PM »

the decision sounds right (I don't know much about the constitutional law) so under this ruling the michigan state senate couldn't be elected by county (1 senator per county).  Although personally I think the districts should be equal at the state level for both houses.

In California we did just fine with Senators by county before Reynolds v. Sims.  Now, we have a legislature that only represents Los Angeles and San Francisco, and the rest of the state gets trampled on.

Gee, isn't that too bad that the Senators now represent where the people are, instead of giving some worthless county with almost no people an entire Senator. There's already 900,000 people per Senator, your un-democratic ideas would make it worse. I believe in democracy. You do not. You are an extremist.

As A18 has pointed out, this thread is about constitutionality.  Its interesting though that you imply the American constitution is an un-democratic document.

You were defending the system California used. That is very different from the argument over the constitutionality of this ruling. Of course, that's too complicated for a hack like you to understand.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies