Opinion of the proposed mosque near Ground Zero (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 07:40:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Opinion of the proposed mosque near Ground Zero (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Opinion of the proposed mosque near Ground Zero  (Read 7489 times)
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: July 01, 2010, 10:16:31 AM »

Eh, I don't really know how to feel.  It seems like a positive gesture, but the guy in charge at the mosque doesn't make me feel like it's a positive thing.  It just doesn't sit well with me for motivational purposes.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 11:12:58 AM »

There's no doubt about whether or not they can, it's whether or not they should that is of concern.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 05:57:16 PM »

Why?
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 06:21:13 PM »

I just don't see why they chose to go RIGHT there.  It's in extremely poor taste regardless of their feelings about 9/11.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 06:52:45 PM »

I just don't see why they chose to go RIGHT there.  It's in extremely poor taste regardless of their feelings about 9/11.
Why is it in poor taste?

Just because so many people have yet to separate terrorists from Islam in general.  The people affected by 9/11 are obviously not comfortable with Islam as it is what the terrorists claimed to represent.  Regardless of the fact that all Muslims are not terrorists, all the terrorists were Muslims.  I'd think they could recognize that it's a sore spot in their religion's image and not try to ruffle feathers unnecessarily.  What they represent is also represented by those specific Muslims that so deeply affected their lives to the people in the area.

That's just what I see as being the issue.  I don't have a problem with it being there, I just have a problem with why they would want to put it there.

Do you think anybody'd be up in arms, Fezzy, if a church or synagogue was planned to be built "RIGHT there"?

No of course not, though there'd really be no reason to put either there anyway.  A mosque clearly means something different in the eyes of those affected because of the message carried by the terrorists.  If they happened to be extreme fundamentalist Methodists that attacked, I'm sure people would be a little perturbed if they then built a Methodist church around the corner.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies