Could 2012 have the House and Senate flip both ways? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 05:58:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Could 2012 have the House and Senate flip both ways? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Could 2012 have the House and Senate flip both ways?  (Read 2729 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: October 15, 2010, 07:51:26 PM »

Its certainly possible. If Obama gets reelected though. You would likely face a blowotu againts the Dems in 2014 in the Senate (so a possible strong majority from 2012 could reach 60) and regaining the House.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 08:55:48 PM »

Its certainly possible. If Obama gets reelected though. You would likely face a blowotu againts the Dems in 2014 in the Senate (so a possible strong majority from 2012 could reach 60) and regaining the House.

I think it would be premature to predict the results of the 2014 House elections. As for the Senate, yes the Republicans would be almost certain to have a majority after the 2014 elections, but I don't know about 60.

In any case, the chances of progressive legislation passing the Senate in the next 6 years are virtually zilch. Great job, Obama.

Since when is the words "possibly" and "could" not sufficient. Roll Eyes

North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 05:44:04 PM »

Obama doesn't need to be a drag for Tester, Nelson and maybe even Conrad (he was in the freinds of angelo thingy) to be in trouble. Also, McCaskil is in the mid 30's right now in approvals.

Better keep your eyes out for retirements in Nebraska, Florida, New Mexico, Wisconsin and Michigan. Currently the only opportunities for the Dems are in NV, MA and ME (Only if Snowe retires or gets primaried). West Virginia could join the list but it will be difficult to knock of an incumbent Republican in a state that Obama will be lucky to get over 43% in.

Incumbents dont lose in states their Presidential nominee carries unless they are involved in a scandal(Ted Stevens in 2008). 

John Ashcroft did in 2000, granted there was a death involved.

In 1972 there were several Republicans who lost reelection.

A Republican incumbent, Larry Pressler I think, lost reeleciton in South Dakota to Tim Johnson in 1996 despite Dole carry the state. I don't rememeber a scandal just that the state grew weary of him. Sounds like something that could happen to Webb or McCaskil in 2012.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies