weather alert radio
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 07:22:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  weather alert radio
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: do you own one
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 9

Author Topic: weather alert radio  (Read 403 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 16, 2013, 05:37:46 PM »

Yes
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 06:02:07 PM »

Yes, I do.  And it has been helpful for middle-of-the-night severe weather.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 06:43:17 PM »

No.  I do have a radio that can tune into the weather radio, but it gets nothing but static.  I'm pretty much in a dead spot where if I went a couple miles in any direction I'd be closer to a transmitter. Unfortunately, weather radio transmitters are located on a space available basis on other radio towers.  Fortunately, SC rarely has the sort of severe late night weather that makes having a radio that can wake you in that situation essential. Plus, I generally sleep with the radio on in the background, so I'd stand a good chance of being awakened by the EAS signal.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 07:04:52 PM »

yes
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 07:17:02 PM »

No.  I do have a radio that can tune into the weather radio, but it gets nothing but static.  I'm pretty much in a dead spot where if I went a couple miles in any direction I'd be closer to a transmitter. Unfortunately, weather radio transmitters are located on a space available basis on other radio towers.  Fortunately, SC rarely has the sort of severe late night weather that makes having a radio that can wake you in that situation essential. Plus, I generally sleep with the radio on in the background, so I'd stand a good chance of being awakened by the EAS signal.

you must live in the upstate, judging from this map.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/Maps/PHP/southcarolina.php
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 07:22:05 PM »

Yes, but I don't use it much.  It is so sensitive that it wakes you up for something as trivial as a dense fog advisory, or a pollen advisory, or a wind advisory, etc.  It desensitizes you so you don't jump as high when there is real severe weather heading your way.  So, my noaa weather radio remains off and unplugged.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 07:26:16 PM »

Yes, but I don't use it much.  It is so sensitive that it wakes you up for something as trivial as a dense fog advisory, or a pollen advisory, or a wind advisory, etc.  It desensitizes you so you don't jump as high when there is real severe weather heading your way.  So, my noaa weather radio remains off and unplugged.

you live in a trailer...in tornado alley.  you need to use the weather radio.

if your radio has s.a.m.e.  you can block the warnings you dont want to hear.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 07:37:39 PM »

you live in a trailer...in tornado alley.  you need to use the weather radio.

if your radio has s.a.m.e.  you can block the warnings you dont want to hear.

You're right, we do need to use it especially in Oklahoma, but we normally just stay up until the weather blows by.  Especially me, as I'm such a weather junkie, I love it when our local news goes to wall to wall weather coverage.  Depending on what I have going on the next day, I tend to stay up until it gets about 100 miles east of Oklahoma County.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 08:02:29 PM »

you must live in the upstate, judging from this map.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/Maps/PHP/southcarolina.php

If only those maps were fully accurate, but they overstate the coverage area of the stations.  As the NWS itself admits:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
  If you take a look at the maps for the three closest stations to me, you see I'm right at the edge of the coverage area of all three under their prediction, and in reality I'm just outside.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 10:52:25 PM »

We have tornado sirens where I live. No need for a radio.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 11:26:09 PM »

We have tornado sirens where I live. No need for a radio.

I have slept through a couple of tornado sirens. Kind of scary. I should get a radio, but it would be annoying if it alerts you about severe weather warnings. I just want Tornado and nothing else.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies