Identify the bias (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 06:03:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Identify the bias (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Identify the bias  (Read 2179 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: May 24, 2005, 10:52:14 AM »

That is a big part of it, but look closer at the years.

We use 1989, the year HW Bush was inaugurated.

We use 1993, the year Clinton was inaugurated.

Then we use 2000, the year W. was elected, not the year he was inaugurated.   

So not only do we have the effect exaggerated, but we make it look like the decline occurred entirely under W.

that's not a bias.  it's just bad labelling.  a bias would be counting differently, or comparing apples to oranges.  For example, Vorlon has defined "bias" with respect to polling data several times, in terms of sampling and the nature of a question being asked.  If we extrapolate this understanding to unemployment data presentation, we can say that a bias would be something like defining differently "unemployment rate" differently in different years.  And that's actually done sometimes.  But bias is simply skew or prediliction or prejudice, such as an inclination of temperament or outlook, or a peculiarity in the shape of a bowl that causes it to swerve when rolled on the green, or a voltage applied to an electrode to establish a reference level for operation.  I'd say that the phenomenon to which you refer is more correctly identified as "propaganda" or "poor presentation" rather than "bias."  Which term I'd choose would depend on whether I thought there was an intention to mislead.  Giving the presenter the benefit of the doubt, I'll go with poor presentation rather than spin.  It should have been caught by an editor, but in this "everyone's a publisher" age, such mistakes go through with regularity.  I blame the schools.

Also, I couldn't identify it till you pointed it out.  very clever.  Smiley
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 12:49:27 PM »

sorry.  I get uptight and Victorian about some things.  Mostly improper use of language and general inaccuracy.  As I said, I didn't even notice the faulty label till you pointed it out.  good call.  I think you're exactly right about trying to use the least emotionally charged term unless you know the context.  My inclination is to give the presenter the benefit of the doubt.  No kidding, with the proliferation of blogs and on-line publishing and the 24 hour news cycle, honest mistakes are made more than ever before.  One constant complaint I hear from my colleagues is the difficulty teaching students to distinguish between authoritative sources and general bullsh**t, and this doesn't just apply to history and politics.  It's a fairly widespread problem in all fields.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies