Liberals Ready to Abandon Abortion as an Issue (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:05:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Liberals Ready to Abandon Abortion as an Issue (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Liberals Ready to Abandon Abortion as an Issue  (Read 6414 times)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« on: July 03, 2005, 03:03:48 PM »

I have supported anti-abortion Democrats in the past, hell I have a few in my sig, but I will never abandon my position on choice.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 09:22:33 PM »

What you have to remember is that any decision like this is made out of some pretty cold electoral calculation. If the Democrats drop abortion as an issue they obvious reckon that there's more votes to be gained (sorry, regained) out of it than votes that'd be lost due to it.
Political geography plays a role too; a vote in (say) Southeast Ohio is worth more than a vote in (say) suburban New York.

It gets quite quirky because virtually every poll shows that between 55-60% believe abortion should be always or mostly legal, and 65% or so believe roe vs wade should not be overturned.  However as you do point out more votes could be gained by them dropping the issue.  Thos e in suburban NY (me for example) may not like the fact they are dropping the abortion issue, but in the end of the day will still vote Dem, meanwhile somone in Southern Ohio dropping abortion may get that  vote.

However I still think the Dems should keep the issue.  It is something most of the country agrees with the Democrats on

I'm not ready to sacrifice Montgomery and Bucks conuties just yet to pick up some boondock one in central PA.  The boonie county in central PA has no money, maybe some from a union, but that's it.  We are NEVER getting back the populist areas we once had.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies