Congressional Discussion Thread

<< < (3/33) > >>

cinyc:
Quote from: Rep. wxtransit on February 13, 2018, 10:49:21 PM

Quote from: Poirot on February 13, 2018, 10:36:35 PM

I am against the Voting clarification amendment.

Quote from: Restricted

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I prefer to keep the voting period 72 hours that ends at the strike of midnight like it was always. It's a long enough period to vote and adding one minute is not essential.

That being said if there is clarification on voting hours it should be made in the electoral law and not the Bill of Rights in the constitution. There could be consequences in putting voting hours in the bill of Rights. Does this mean no other election at any level can be held except from Friday to Saturday. It's unclear to me if this would also apply to referendums. Would regions be forced to used the same voting calendar for regional elections? I think the South can have a special election to replace a delegate that would not start on a Friday. I think it was a principle (if not a right) to let regions administer their elections.    
[/quote]

I believe clarity, not ambiguity, is the best for Atlasia. If you want to believe different, then fine. Just know that you may incite another long, drawn-out TimTurner vs. Peebs, which still leaves the exact result of the Southern election that was held last month outstanding. Read the entire thread and all of the arguments. I think you will find that clarifying far outweighs not clarifying.  Maybe adding one minute is not essential, but specifying the second is. Either 00:00:00 or 00:00:59 works, but 00:00 doesn't. That leaves too much open to interpretation.

I, and many other Atlasians, are for the Voting Clarification Amendment.
[/quote]

Poirot's second point - that putting this in the constitution without further clarification could lead to unexpected rights created in non-federal elections - is a valid one that I think needs to be addressed by the House before the amendment is sent to the Senate. Otherwise, I'll have to offer a Senate amendment to address it. Perhaps you need to say this:

All posts made in a federal voting booth between 11:59:59 PM Eastern Standard Time on the Thursday before the weekend of voting to 12:00:59 AM Eastern Standard Time on the Monday immediately following that same weekend shall be considered as ballots. No citizen shall cast multiple ballots in any one election during the period the voting booth is open upon penalty of the invalidation of their vote.

But, as Poirot said, this is probably best off being left to the relevant federal election law (where is it now?). I'd worry that divorcing the all posts made in a booth from the no citizen shall cast multiple ballots language could muddy what's a valid ballot for regional purposes.

wxtransit:
Quote from: cinyc on February 13, 2018, 11:24:05 PM

Quote from: Poirot on February 13, 2018, 10:36:35 PM

I am against the Voting clarification amendment.

Quote from: Restricted

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I prefer to keep the voting period 72 hours that ends at the strike of midnight like it was always. It's a long enough period to vote and adding one minute is not essential.

That being said if there is clarification on voting hours it should be made in the electoral law and not the Bill of Rights in the constitution. There could be consequences in putting voting hours in the bill of Rights. Does this mean no other election at any level can be held except from Friday to Saturday. It's unclear to me if this would also apply to referendums. Would regions be forced to used the same voting calendar for regional elections? I think the South can have a special election to replace a delegate that would not start on a Friday. I think it was a principle (if not a right) to let regions administer their elections.    

I believe clarity, not ambiguity, is the best for Atlasia. If you want to believe different, then fine. Just know that you may incite another long, drawn-out TimTurner vs. Peebs, which still leaves the exact result of the Southern election that was held last month outstanding. Read the entire thread and all of the arguments. I think you will find that clarifying far outweighs not clarifying.  Maybe adding one minute is not essential, but specifying the second is. Either 00:00:00 or 00:00:59 works, but 00:00 doesn't. That leaves too much open to interpretation.

I, and many other Atlasians, are for the Voting Clarification Amendment.
[/quote]

Poirot's second point - that putting this in the constitution without further clarification could lead to unexpected rights created in non-federal elections - is a valid one that I think needs to be addressed by the House before the amendment is sent to the Senate. Otherwise, I'll have to offer a Senate amendment to address it. Perhaps you need to say this:

All posts made in a federal voting booth between 11:59:59 PM Eastern Standard Time on the Thursday before the weekend of voting to 12:00:59 AM Eastern Standard Time on the Monday immediately following that same weekend shall be considered as ballots. No citizen shall cast multiple ballots in any one election during the period the voting booth is open upon penalty of the invalidation of their vote.

But, as Poirot said, this is probably best off being left to the relevant federal election law (where is it now?). I'd worry that divorcing the all posts made in a booth from the no citizen shall cast multiple ballots language could muddy what's a valid ballot for regional purposes.
[/quote]

I'm all for an amendment that addresses that.

Poirot:

I believe clarity, not ambiguity, is the best for Atlasia. If you want to believe different, then fine.

I believe clarity is best but I don't believe the Bill of Rights of the constitution is the appropriate place to specify the voting hours of elections. For the federal elections it is in the Federal electoral act. I don't see the reason we need to take the voting hours out of the elections act to put it in the bill of rights when a small fix to specify the seconds can be made in the electoral law.

If you put the voting hours in the supreme law of the land it becomes not flexible at all. For example if the booth opens late and the voting hours need to be extended or other special reason, I don't think the election administrator can have discretionary power over the bill of rights who says between what hours posts are considered ballots.

As for the voting hours, I prefer we continue with votes having to be posted before midnight (or 1 am if this can still happen). There has to be a deadline and adding 1 minute to the 72 hours is not neceesary. Just clarify the deadline is exactly midnight without seconds.

wxtransit:
Quote from: Poirot on February 15, 2018, 12:06:39 AM

As for the voting hours, I prefer we continue with votes having to be posted before midnight (or 1 am if this can still happen). There has to be a deadline and adding 1 minute to the 72 hours is not neceesary. Just clarify the deadline is exactly midnight without seconds.

Midnight without seconds: 12:00 AM, can be interpreted as anytime from 12:00:00 AM to 12:00:59 AM.

Midnight with seconds: 12:00:00 or 12:00:59 AM, no interpretation.

Terry the Fat Shark:
Quote from: Rep. wxtransit on February 15, 2018, 12:49:30 AM

Quote from: Poirot on February 15, 2018, 12:06:39 AM

Midnight without seconds: 12:00 AM, can be interpreted as anytime from 12:00:00 AM to 12:00:59 AM.

Midnight with seconds: 12:00:00 or 12:00:59 AM, no interpretation.

if you go anywhere in the adult business world and even in school, this is pretty clear lol, although most people make it 11:59 PM sharp, a lot will also set midnight sharp as a deadline.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page