"Will life extension mean the end of religion"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 04:28:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  "Will life extension mean the end of religion"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Will life extension mean the end of religion"  (Read 353 times)
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 03, 2023, 08:01:06 AM »

https://bigthink.com/articles/will-life-extension-mean-the-end-of-religion/

I think that the idea that death is in any way a good thing is a dangerous idea.

I don't necessarily agree with everything said in the above link, but it raises some interesting questions.

I don't want to get into the abortion issue in this thread but I am certainly very pro life after birth.

Living forever currently seems unlikely, and yet I think as a general rule life extension is a good thing
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2023, 10:04:08 AM »

It’s such a vague thing.  Allowing someone who’d did at 80 to live until 90 might be a wonderful thing, but I think “living forever” is (1) impossible and (2) would be miserable, completely cheapening what makes life special.
Georg Ebner
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2023, 08:54:32 PM »

That religion would be based on fear of death is, what the modern assume (and it indeed fits to them, when they someTimes flee into pseudoFaith) - but not we antiModern. While the others think, that we live and then we suddenly die, we say, that living means in se dying. Every obJect murders our aSpirations to become immortal+endless = absolute. And thus media in morte vivimus intellectually&emotionally already in different worlds - the soul is not in the body, as the stupid think; instead, the body is in the soul. Thus the modern is already living in a world of fulfilled human "ideals"; of liberty, equality, fraternity; without death and pain; alltogether perfectly planned by socialEngineers. And we antiModern in an archaism & "eternal middle-ages", where pain&death are permanently present, outPut of an eternal sacrifice and slaughter.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2023, 10:28:34 PM »

Life extension doesn't mean the end of death, or the resurrection of the dead, or the end of questions about the afterlife.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2023, 10:33:29 PM »

This is the same basic template of "X will kill religion", with the reason why past editions have failed being lazily handwaved. It ignores the reality that not only have past editions failed, but those religions that did go with the world on those issues are actually faring worse than the ones that have held the line, in part because they have conceded that there is no real point in believing their claims.

The lifeblood of religion is converts who bring zeal and conviction to the table, and nobody converts for the exact same message as the world teaches. Perhaps the proportion of society that is religious will continue to shrink, but the truth is still the truth no matter how few people believe it, and the Gospel won't stop attracting those who genuinely want to repent because of the millionth time that the world has decided we are wrong.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies