LGC 19.1 - Amendment to the Constitution of Lincoln (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 12:41:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LGC 19.1 - Amendment to the Constitution of Lincoln (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LGC 19.1 - Amendment to the Constitution of Lincoln  (Read 775 times)
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« on: May 07, 2024, 12:11:25 AM »

Fundamentally my instinct is not to go along with making us more parliamentary – I like having a Governor – but engaging with the text for a moment there are rather big problems inherent in allowing the LGC to appoint to vacancies, for one thing.

I remember getting into Atlasia due to a situation that the likely outcome of this would be.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2024, 11:12:32 PM »

A 7/8 margin would effectively require a unanimous vote to override, no?
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2024, 11:26:21 AM »

A 7/8 margin would effectively require a unanimous vote to override, no?

It would permit a single dissenting vote when the chamber is composed of seven Deputies. However, that has only happened once under the 3rd Constitution.

6 deputies out of 7 doesn't meet the threshold of 7/8ths.

If the Governor was a member of the General Court (which does not appear to be specified in the amendment as written; probably ought to fix that) and voted against overriding (which would certainly present a conflict of interest) it would require a chamber of eight assuming everyone else votes to override.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2024, 11:25:00 PM »

No objections at present, I'd prefer to think over and tinker with this as we go along.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2024, 10:47:21 PM »

Currently writing an amendment to clean up the language. Could the sponsor elaborate on when the Governor may choose to send a bill to referendum – after the final vote concludes, or during it?
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2024, 11:01:07 PM »

No objections, but to be more general for a moment I am operating on the assumption that the Governor still maintains their office thread, office actions etc. and merely has their own elected seat in the chamber as well. If the sponsor believes this to be correct I'll move forward on cleaning up the language with that in mind.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2024, 10:48:25 PM »

No objections, but to be more general for a moment I am operating on the assumption that the Governor still maintains their office thread, office actions etc. and merely has their own elected seat in the chamber as well. If the sponsor believes this to be correct I'll move forward on cleaning up the language with that in mind.
I am fully in favor of the first two, but what is the issue with having a governor who isn’t a member of the LGC? I would like either option to be a possibility. I would like to see Governor Liminal retained (my intention for this legislation was it to take effect after the end of the current gubernatorial term) but going forward the Governor being a member of the LGC could become something that’s customary but not required. (see: Speaker of the House irl)

the latest Amendment to the Amendment is adopted.

Well, if you look at my original post in this thread you will see I'm much more comfortable with the Governor not being a member of the LGC actually. But if we are moving toward a parliamentary system then there would be nothing stopping the Governor from taking up a seat.

If either having an LGC seat or not would both be possible I'll continue working on the amendment.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies