Rep. Cuellar Indicted in Foreign Bribery Case
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:48:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rep. Cuellar Indicted in Foreign Bribery Case
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rep. Cuellar Indicted in Foreign Bribery Case  (Read 609 times)
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 03, 2024, 01:55:13 PM »

Texas Rep. Henry Cuellar and wife indicted on bribery and foreign influence charges

DOJ charges that the Democratic congressman used his office to influence U.S. policy for Azerbaijan. He and his wife, Imelda Cuellar, are also accused of money laundering.

The Cuellars allegedly accepted roughly $600,000 in bribes from the two foreign entities in exchange for the congressman performing official acts, according to the indictment.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2024, 01:56:29 PM »

The fact his wife is Imelda is a funny coincidence
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2024, 02:16:32 PM »

Ooch. Looks like a great cell mate for Mendendez.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2024, 02:29:23 PM »

I had completely forgotten about the FBI raiding his house. It's been more than two years.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2024, 02:31:47 PM »

I had a nickel for every time a moderate Hispanic Democratic congressman was indicted on foreign bribery charges, I’d have two nickels. Which isn’t a lot but it’s weird that it happened twice.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2024, 03:40:04 PM »

So, just to ruin the suspense, what's going to happen here is that if Trump wins, he will offer a pardon to Cuellar in exchange for a party switch, and Cuellar will accept and become a Republican.

On the other hand, if Biden wins, Cuellar will likely end up being convicted and if so will serve out whatever his sentence is without a pardon.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2024, 03:55:21 PM »

Lol
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2024, 05:18:46 PM »

So, just to ruin the suspense, what's going to happen here is that if Trump wins, he will offer a pardon to Cuellar in exchange for a party switch, and Cuellar will accept and become a Republican.

On the other hand, if Biden wins, Cuellar will likely end up being convicted and if so will serve out whatever his sentence is without a pardon.

What's more likely is that a Republican will defeat Cuellar for a one-term rental. The same thing happened to William Jefferson, and he went down in a wave year (2008) in a much more D-friendly district (New Orleans).

Also, Cuellar voted to impeach Trump twice. No loyalty, no pardon.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2024, 05:20:29 PM »

But wait, I thought Biden was weaponizing the DOJ? Why would he order the DOJ to indict his own son, a Democratic Senator and now a House member?
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2024, 08:03:07 PM »

I had a nickel for every time a moderate Hispanic Democratic congressman was indicted on foreign bribery charges, I’d have two nickels. Which isn’t a lot but it’s weird that it happened twice.

Was Menendez moderate? He seemed to me like standard liberal D on the surface.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2024, 08:04:42 PM »

He was one of only 4 D Senators to vote against the Iran deal.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2024, 08:58:30 PM »

I guess he's moderate on domestic policy, but he's right-wing on foreign policy.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2024, 09:47:09 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2024, 12:31:02 AM by Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin »

I guess he's moderate on domestic policy, but he's right-wing on foreign policy.

(Note: I erroneously thought darklordoftech was referring to Cuellar, not Menendez, as moderate. While I'm glad to see Menendez gone, Cuellar was the last remaining anti-abortion Dem in the House.)

Original post below:

He's anti-abortion. Hopefully this means good riddance to bad garbage.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2024, 11:11:32 PM »

He's anti-abortion.
I was talking about Menendez.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2024, 12:25:16 AM »

But is Menendez truly a moderate from his voting record? I mean, he's not about to be inducted as an honorary member of the squad or something, but to my recollection his voting record is always been pretty standard Democrat
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2024, 12:28:31 AM »

He's anti-abortion.
I was talking about Menendez.

So you were. My mistake - I'll update/correct my post to reflect that.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2024, 11:36:18 AM »

Just makes him more palatable at this rate.  Jessica Cisneros was right there, Garcia was there, both rejected.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2024, 11:51:15 AM »

Sounds like the evidence is strong.
May proper justice fall where it should, regardless of party affiliation. (Something that Trump-Cultists do not believe in.)
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2024, 03:35:33 PM »

May proper justice fall where it should, regardless of party affiliation. (Something that Trump-Cultists do not believe in.)

I'm all for dunking on Republicans, but where exactly do "Trump-Cultists" come into any of this? Lmao.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2024, 10:34:27 PM »

I'm all for dunking on Republicans, but where exactly do "Trump-Cultists" come into any of this? Lmao.

Because a Democrat has been indicted and the near Universal consensus is thank goodness that dudes always been a sketchy corrupt sleaze bag. Trump cultists have proven repeatedly over the last several years that they do not give a good God damn about the law or the facts of a case, just whether it was their guy facing legal matters or someone on the bad guy other team.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2024, 01:13:54 PM »

Because a Democrat has been indicted and the near Universal consensus is thank goodness that dudes always been a sketchy corrupt sleaze bag. Trump cultists have proven repeatedly over the last several years that they do not give a good God damn about the law or the facts of a case, just whether it was their guy facing legal matters or someone on the bad guy other team.

There's at least one prominent political figure defending Cuellar
Trump accuses Biden of ‘running a Gestapo administration’ during private donor retreat:

The former president also brought up the federal case against Rep. Henry Cuellar (D-Texas), who the Justice Department indicted on Friday for allegedly accepting $600,000 in bribes from two foreign entities. Cuellar, a moderate Democrat whose district is on the border with Mexico, has said he’s innocent of the charges.

“He got indicted for political reasons because of stuff at the border,” Trump said of Cuellar. “What they’ve done is weaponize the government to go after political opponents.”

That's not the end of it, though:

Trump also brought on stage Rod Blagojevich, the controversial former Democratic Illinois governor whose prison sentence for corruption was commuted by Trump.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2024, 01:23:59 PM »

There's at least one prominent political figure defending Cuellar
Trump accuses Biden of ‘running a Gestapo administration’ during private donor retreat:

The former president also brought up the federal case against Rep. Henry Cuellar (D-Texas), who the Justice Department indicted on Friday for allegedly accepting $600,000 in bribes from two foreign entities. Cuellar, a moderate Democrat whose district is on the border with Mexico, has said he’s innocent of the charges.

“He got indicted for political reasons because of stuff at the border,” Trump said of Cuellar. “What they’ve done is weaponize the government to go after political opponents.”

That's not the end of it, though:

Trump also brought on stage Rod Blagojevich, the controversial former Democratic Illinois governor whose prison sentence for corruption was commuted by Trump.

Honestly heartwarming to see how bipartisan both parties are on this issue.

Democrats: Oppose corruption, whether it's by a Democrat or Republican
Republicans: Support corruption, whether it's by a Democrat or Republican
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2024, 10:52:34 PM »

GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2024, 10:56:56 PM »

Imagine if Cisneros won the primary in 2022.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2024, 06:22:40 PM »

This is some mobius strip logic here.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length