Should able-bodied, mentally capable adults who receive welfare be required to w (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 07:50:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should able-bodied, mentally capable adults who receive welfare be required to w (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which option
Yes

No

Yes, adults who receive government benefits should be required to work

Yes, and eliminate welfare all together as it is not authorized in the Constitution

No, "workfare" is a form of slave labor

No, but in order to receive benefits they should be looking for a job or enrolled in education and job training programs

No, but their benefits would expire after two years of unemployment

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Author Topic: Should able-bodied, mentally capable adults who receive welfare be required to w  (Read 4534 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: October 11, 2013, 08:57:06 PM »

Troll thread.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 05:19:11 PM »

Which reminds me of the bizarre hypocrisy: very rich people do not actually work at all. Even when technically employed. But apparently this is not corrosive to their moral wellbeing, because, reasons.

The Takers.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 05:29:20 PM »

And assuming that I am "rich," why don't you think I am really working, or did really work? Care to elaborate on that?

I disagree with Al in that I think a lot of rich people do technically work (although once you get to the "super-rich", you do see more of the "unearned income" or "money making money" thing-see Mitt Romney for a particularly appalling example...). But they don't depend on their work for survival. Rich people don't have to work. They have options-far more options than the vast majority of the population. When you consider that the top 1% own 45% of the financial wealth in all of America....

Rich people can live anywhere, compared to the rest of the population. Unless you live in one of those places where (essentially) only rich people live, like perhaps parts of the Upper East Side of Manhattan or Jupiter Island, FL....but, nobody is forcing them to live there. And it's not like they have to strain their vast financial resources to live a relatively extravagant life, let alone survive, like a growing and large number of Americans have to.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies