How do certain sports fans vote? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 08:31:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  How do certain sports fans vote? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How do certain sports fans vote?  (Read 19582 times)
Lucius Quintus Cincinatus Lamar
amcculloum
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: 4.00

« on: October 16, 2011, 11:02:43 AM »

National Media Research did a study on this in 2008.  They found:

PGA went R +50
College football R +45
NASCAR R+40
NHL R+30
College Basketball R+15
NFL R+10
MLB R+5
Men's Tennis D+20
Major League Soccer D+40
Women's tennis D+55
NBA D+60
WNBA D+99

Other (possibly) surprising results, while drag racing (R+25) and motorcross (R+15) skewed Republican, Grand-Am racing (D+10), monster trucks (D+15) and WWE (D+60) skewed Democrat, pro-"wrasslin" very much so.

I also agree with Rockefeller, college football is a much better sport than NFL. It is much more passionate.  That is why only 4 NFL teams have a higher average attendance than the average SEC team and no NFL team has a higher average attendance than Tennessee, Georgia, LSU, Alabama, Florida or Auburn.
amcculloum
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 11:20:12 AM »

National Media Research did a study on this in 2008.  They found:

PGA went R +50
College football R +45
NASCAR R+40
NHL R+30
College Basketball R+15
NFL R+10
MLB R+5
Men's Tennis D+20
Major League Soccer D+40
Women's tennis D+55
NBA D+60
WNBA D+99

Other (possibly) surprising results, while drag racing (R+25) and motorcross (R+15) skewed Republican, Grand-Am racing (D+10), monster trucks (D+15) and WWE (D+60) skewed Democrat, pro-"wrasslin" very much so.

I also agree with Rockefeller, college football is a much better sport than NFL. It is much more passionate.  That is why only 4 NFL teams have a higher average attendance than the average SEC team and no NFL team has a higher average attendance than Tennessee, Georgia, LSU, Alabama, Florida or Auburn.

Link?

My bad

http://nmrpp.com/assets/NMRPPsportspolitics.pdf
amcculloum
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 11:33:52 AM »
« Edited: October 16, 2011, 11:40:10 AM by Lucius Quintus Cincinatus Lamar »

I'm curious about the college sports phemenon. It just doesn't exist to any real degree in NZ (and I think not many other places outside the USA). Personally, I think the concept of "student athletes" is dumb. Why unnecessarily bundle half a sociology degree with high level sports?

Some of the programs, particularly football, makes ridiculous amounts of money for the schools.  I prefer college to pro because college athletes choose which school they want to attend and therefore (at least in theory) have more of a connection to the school and fellow players than a pro athlete who pretty much goes to the highest bidder.  Also, generally schools have a higher percentage of athletes from the state in which it is located.  So the University of Alabama's football team is much more representative of the state of Alabama than the New York Giant's football team is representative of the state of New York.

I also like the whole student athlete/amateur athlete (if you could really say college football players are "amateur") to pro athletes.  Amateur athletes show more dedication in that they have to make time for and sacrifice more for their sports compared to pro athletes who do it full time.

Are there not any college sports in NZ?  Track, rugby, gymnastics, rowing, etc?  I've always thought athletics was considered an integral part of a classical education.
amcculloum
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 10:39:26 PM »
« Edited: October 16, 2011, 10:49:52 PM by Lucius Quintus Cincinatus Lamar »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Without paying the athletes. Nice.

Though it is not a perfect system, big time college football programs "pay" their students room, board and tuition, worth at least $40k/year, which would be similar to minor league professional baseball.  Considering a college grad in the US makes over $2 million more during their lifetime than a non-grad, for the vast majority of college athletes who never go pro, it is a pretty good deal.

It's possible, but universities are the only viable infrastructure for such an attraction.  The school I went to has a 60,000 seat stadium for a university of only 10,000 students in a town of only 10,000 people.  Outside a university setting, no one would be able to afford the stadium, coaches, equipment, medical staff, travel costs, etc.

They exist, but they're not followed much more than children's teams.
[/quote]

Personally, I love high school and elementary school sports.  In fact, I generally prefer them to professional teams.  You need to remember only a small percentage of colleges in the US have major athletic programs.  Most have programs that are probably similar to what you are use to in New Zealand.  In the state in which I live, we have 10-15 colleges/universities, but only 2-3 with big time athletic programs.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies