Taxes (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:42:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Taxes (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Taxes  (Read 2494 times)
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« on: July 27, 2012, 12:47:05 PM »

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 12:54:43 PM »

If you raised it to 90% they wouldn't reinvest most of it; people would just quit at that point. Why bother working?

I wasn't really suggesting that we should raise it to 90%, but the concept is that progressive taxation is better at growing the economy than a flat tax.  Frankly, we used to have much higher taxes than we do now and the economy was quite stable back in those days.

Forget studies, charts, and diagrams and let's use common sense. Do you really want the government to have that much of a monopoloy over our lives and what we can and can't do with our money? Besides a conservative can do their own studies to so that it looks like their plans are better. Your studies would turn us into Greece.

...Forget studies and charts?  You've lost me.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 01:32:37 PM »

If you raised it to 90% they wouldn't reinvest most of it; people would just quit at that point. Why bother working?

I wasn't really suggesting that we should raise it to 90%, but the concept is that progressive taxation is better at growing the economy than a flat tax.  Frankly, we used to have much higher taxes than we do now and the economy was quite stable back in those days.

I would agree that the optimal tax structure for growing the economy would be progressive, but that does not mean all progressive structures are better than all flat structures by default. A 90% tax would either be nominal by allowing wealthy individuals to ensure their income is done in other ways not subject to it, or if you close all loopholes, a complete disaster since they wouldn't bother working. If the scale on that chart had a maximum of ~40% I would agree with it, but at 90% so many other factors have long since started to take effect that the comparison is junk. You aren't going to get any more revenue beyond somewhere around 50% so proposing anything higher than that is pretty much just hating rich people.

Exactly.  Personally, I always felt that around 40% or so is the ideal top rate people should be paying, but once again I posted the chart for its general idea.  Rolling back the rates to the way they were twenty years ago isn't a radical idea, but a flat tax would just shift the burden to the poor by making them pay a greater share of their income.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 04:39:19 PM »

I already said I don't want a tax rate of 90%.

Y'know what... I'm just gonna stop repeating myself.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies